The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Syrian Regime Murders Children

nucklehead

http://www.avaaz.org/en/syria_will_the_world_look_away_c/?cl=1832800236&v=14729

WARNING: Deeply disturbing images.

Dozens of children lie covered with blood, their faces show the fear they felt before death, and their innocent lifeless bodies reveal an unspeakable massacre. These children were slaughtered by men under strict orders to sow terror. Yet all the diplomats have come up with so far is a few UN monitors 'observing' the violence. Now, governments across the world are expelling Syrian ambassadors, but unless we demand strong action on the ground, they will settle for these diplomatic half-measures.

Syria Exposed

By Jonathan Miller and Channel 4

Updated February 22, 2012 11:22:00

r895566_9040451.jpg

How the Syrian Government has turned on its own people, systematically arresting, interrogating and torturing ordinary citizens in an attempt to stop any form of protest or criticism.

It's a program that raises many questions, not least how can any country support the regime of President Bashar al-Assad? How can the United Nations resist calls for al-Assad to be charged and prosecuted for war crimes? But if this happens, and the President leaves office, what will it mean for Syria and the balance of power in the Middle East?

As unrest grows in Syria, President Bashar al-Assad continues to insist the violence is being driven by criminals and gangs of bandits, encouraged by forces outside Syria.

Now reporter Jonathan Miller travels to Syria to investigate what's really going on inside the country. There, he finds a government that employs what can only be described as a "torture machine" to stop dissent. His report features devastating video evidence of men, women and children being subjected to brutal beatings, whippings and more elaborate torture. They tell how, after being detained by the police, they are passed through various levels of interrogation overseen by the secret police, or Mukhabarat.

Much of this brutality has been captured on mobile phones by Syrian civilians and activists, and uploaded to the internet every week, because they are desperate to show the world what's happening. But the most confronting images come from videos that have been filmed by the torturers themselves.

The report takes us to Syria and Lebanon where we hear from victims and activists who have experienced or witnessed torture at the hands of President al-Assad's forces. Their stories, and the video evidence of torture and killing, build a dossier of systematic abuse conducted by the Syrian government.

Responding to the issues raised in the story, Four Corners presenter Kerry O'Brien speaks with a leading expert in the region about Syria's future and the consequences if Bashar al-Assad were to leave office either through force or his own choice

this report went to air on national television here in australia in febuary and it is some of the most shocking and horrifying footage i have ever seen on television .

it can be viewed on ABC australia's website in the I view section .

Wow so it's the USA's fault then is it? I guess it's Bush's fault this happened too! in fact I think it was a drone attack by the USA not Syria who did this. People get upset when the USA over throws dictators and upset when they don't. can't win with the left wing looney's. I see there are no moveon.org protesting Syria. The USA should just give Iran some Nukes let the party get started.

Wow so it's the USA's fault then is it? I guess it's Bush's fault this happened too! in fact I think it was a drone attack by the USA not Syria who did this. People get upset when the USA over throws dictators and upset when they don't. can't win with the left wing looney's. I see there are no moveon.org protesting Syria. The USA should just give Iran some Nukes let the party get started.

It was a comment on selective media coverage. Why is it that when the US/NATO/West declare a certain country an enemy that the media puts it under the microscope? I hear there are a lot of human rights abuses happening in Saudi Arabia, and lest we forget Bahrain.

How bad has Darfur been for years now? Including the rampant diseases among those displaced, deaths are estimated at well over 300,000 there.

But Sudan is on the wrong side of the Red Sea to care about that...

How bad has Darfur been for years now? Including the rampant diseases among those displaced, deaths are estimated at well over 300,000 there.

But Sudan is on the wrong side of the Red Sea to care about that...

Sudan is not an ally of the USA. The USA has had a total trade embargo placed on Sudan since 1997. Bush increased economic sanctions against Sudan in 2007. Several countries have attempted to use UN action against Sudan. There have been several resolutions passed, and there are currently UN troops on the ground in Sudan.

Sudan does get a fair bit of attention, but I do agree, not enough. The main issue with Sudan is that they are major trading partners with China and Russia. The same way that Russia is blocking action against Syria, it's happening in Sudan times 10.

The other major issue is that Sudan is very tight with the rest of the Arab League. The leadership in Sudan is Arab and Sunni. Syrian leadership is Alowite. Saudi Arabia would love to depose Syria's government and replace the it with a Sunni puppet state.

Either way, I don't think you can use Sudan as an example of a dictatorship that is being propped up by the USA.

There you go. Double standards, no doubt. Maybe not exactly "propped up" but greatly ignored. People need to look past the selective focus put on by the government and media.

There's just too much bandwagonism and herd mentality when it comes to singling out the bad guy of the day.

I really don't see the double standards at all? Your making the argument that people ignore regimes propped up by the USA government. I asked you to point out one instance comparable to Syria of a government propped up by the USA government where 11,000 have been kiled in a year. You've failed to do that.

Can we count Saddam Hussein? He who is responsible for a death toll in six digits including mass gassing of Kurds and other dissidents, but was friend of the US till he invaded Kuwait, and then was suddenly turned into public enemy #1 by the US government and media alike.

Don't really see your point here. Are you arguing that the US should have taken action against Iraq earlier?

Your knowledge of Iraqi/US history is also extremely oversimplified. The US had negative or no relations with Iraq throughout the early 1960s up until the mid-80s. The US heavily supplied Kurdish rebels with arms in the 1970s. Iraq and the US also had heavy agreements over Israel, which resulted in no relations whatsoever following the 1967 war up until the early 1980s.

It wasn't until the Iranian revolution came around, that they decided Iran was a bigger threat and began cooperating with Iraq. This happened from about 1984-1992. Even during that time relations bounced all over the place. At time the US was supplying weapons to Iran. Even then the amount of weapons supplied to Iraq via the US was pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things. Your looking at a situation where 98% would have been supplied by the Soviet block and 2% by the US.

The reason no invasion earlier? The cold war. Russia would not have allowed the US to invade Iraq prior to Dessert Storm without setting off WWIII.

Archived