The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Musqueam protest by blocking Arthur Laing Bridge during morning rush

Common sense

Morning commuters will want to take note. Members of the Musqueam First Nations Band have announced they are planning a peaceful protest for Thursday, May 31. Protesters say they will form a blockade on the north end of the Arthur Laing Bridge between 7:30 and 9:00 am.

The Musqueam Band is protesting against a residential condo development which they say is threatening a 4,000 year old aboriginal village and burial ground in Marpole.

The First Nations group has hosted other demonstrations before, but they say so far elected officials have not heard their concerns.

http://www.globaltvb...1310/story.html

Hmm...snarling traffic (especially the AM rush) by blocking off a major chokepoint to the city - sounds like the way to win people over!

Morning commuters will want to take note. Members of the Musqueam First Nations Band have announced they are planning a peaceful protest for Thursday, May 31. Protesters say they will form a blockade on the north end of the Arthur Laing Bridge between 7:30 and 9:00 am.

The Musqueam Band is protesting against a residential condo development which they say is threatening a 4,000 year old aboriginal village and burial ground in Marpole.

The First Nations group has hosted other demonstrations before, but they say so far elected officials have not heard their concerns.

http://www.globaltvb...1310/story.html

Hmm...snarling traffic (especially the AM rush) by blocking off a major chokepoint to the city - sounds like the way to win people over!

Get with the program. The dumb, ignorant folk who don't even understand the concept of occupation protests and how they work will probably never understand what the Aboriginals are fighting for.

In any case, it wasn't their choice to have their ancient grounds here in fertile Vancouver. But it was the city's choice to plow through that land, just like it's the Musqueam's choice to protest about it. Why don't you use that common sense of yours and tell me who the real bad guys are?

Hmmmm.

I get their point.

But if the solution is to ask for the moon and the stars in the sky for a land swap for this (and seemingly every project in the lower mainland) as a land swap followed by antagonising commuters when you don't get your way I fail to see how that will win them much sympathy.

My friend coordinated this and has been down there, protesting at the site, every single day for months now and I admire her/their commitment and dedication to the cause. (Go Cecilia, she's on the news right now). She has two young children and has devoted herself to seeing this through, despite trying to juggle her personal life in order to do so.

And yes, it appears that they are pleading to deaf ears which is why they are escalating things in a move to generate some interest. They are doing so, but it's been baby steps. They also did a trip over to Victoria a few weeks ago.

FTR, Gino has also thrown in his support and shown up to protest a few days ago.

I ask how you would feel if it were your ancestors and babies gravesites being disturbed/dug up? Likely not very damn good.

My friend coordinated this and has been down there, protesting at the site, every single day for months now and I admire her/their commitment and dedication to the cause. (Go Cecilia, she's on the news right now). She has two young children and has devoted herself to seeing this through, despite trying to juggle her personal life in order to do so.

And yes, it appears that they are pleading to deaf ears which is why they are escalating things in a move to generate some interest. They are doing so, but it's been baby steps. They also did a trip over to Victoria a few weeks ago.

FTR, Gino has also thrown in his support and shown up to protest a few days ago.

I ask how you would feel if it were your ancestors and babies gravesites being disturbed/dug up? Likely not very damn good.

Then you obviously lack respect for the dead and/or elders.

As long as it's a peaceful protest since obviously the commuters can get very ..... abrasive ... with how hectic Vancouver can get with the hustle & bustle.

Get with the program. The dumb, ignorant folk who don't even understand the concept of occupation protests and how they work will probably never understand what the Aboriginals are fighting for.

In any case, it wasn't their choice to have their ancient grounds here in fertile Vancouver. But it was the city's choice to plow through that land, just like it's the Musqueam's choice to protest about it. Why don't you use that common sense of yours and tell me who the real bad guys are?

Archived