The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider on Boston Sports Radio

Here's an article on Schneider that includes an audio clip with the full interview (including a hilarious opening song about the Canucks some of you may have already heard) of an interview he did on Boston's Sports Hub radio station this morning. The article's nothing to write home about, but we all know that Schneider, like Bieksa, usually provides a great interview, and he doesn't disappoint here:

http://boston.cbsloc...cory-schneider/

Figured I'd post this resume of the interview done by Thomas Drance of Canucks Army:

http://canucksarmy.c...-likable-canuck

What Gillis has said about the Canucks peaking emotionally in that January game against Boston (Schneider agrees that they didn't match that emotional level the rest of the season) causes me to wonder about a couple things:

1. I hope our division is tougher next year. If we had a stellar and competitive divisional rivalry going with anyone, it would help prevent the Canucks from being in cruise control down the stretch, while also getting a little more practice 'hating' a team within our division. But when no one else in the Northwest comes close to matching Vancouver's game, it is hard to remain battle-tested, and they obviously weren't battle-tested going into the playoffs, whereas L.A., who'd dealt with adversity and pressure all year, found a different gear at precisely the right time.

2. Why did Mike Gillis and AV let Kesler come back from his surgery early and then continue to play down the stretch when the games were meaningless. Couldn't it have helped his game to take some time off? I just hope we're more willing to play some youngsters throughout the year next year to give our key guys some time off when they're a little banged up. Could it have hurt to play Schroeder in Kesler's place for a couple weeks in March? I know Kesler is a warrior and all that, but like leaving Luongo in net when he's getting shelled in that Game 3 against Boston, not scoring (no doubt in part due to the injury) caused Kesler to get more and more frustrated, and leaving him in the lineup when that's happening doesn't help anyone.

Figured I'd post this resume of the interview done by Thomas Drance of Canucks Army:

What Gillis has said about the Canucks peaking emotionally in that January game against Boston (Schneider agrees that they didn't match that emotional level the rest of the season) causes me to wonder about a couple things:

1. I hope our division is tougher next year. If we had a stellar and competitive divisional rivalry going with anyone, it would help prevent the Canucks from being in cruise control down the stretch, while also getting a little more practice 'hating' a team within our division. But when no one else in the Northwest comes close to matching Vancouver's game, it is hard to remain battle-tested, and they obviously weren't battle-tested going into the playoffs, whereas L.A., who'd dealt with adversity and pressure all year, found a different gear at precisely the right time.

2. Why did Mike Gillis and AV let Kesler come back from his surgery early and then continue to play down the stretch when the games were meaningless. Couldn't it have helped his game to take some time off? I just hope we're more willing to play some youngsters throughout the year next year to give our key guys some time off when they're a little banged up. Could it have hurt to play Schroeder in Kesler's place for a couple weeks in March? I know Kesler is a warrior and all that, but like leaving Luongo in net when he's getting shelled in that Game 3 against Boston, not scoring (no doubt in part due to the injury) caused Kesler to get more and more frustrated, and leaving him in the lineup when that's happening doesn't help anyone.

thanks for the summary

I like that Schneider is blunt. He's not like the typical young guy who just sticks with the company line and doesn't speak his mind. He has a good mind for business and operations (I think he'd make a great GM someday), and it's nice to hear his opinions even if they aren't consistent with those of the team.

He is definitely preparing for next season as a Canuck so clearly he's not going anywhere...which makes me feel good.

Archived