The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Target Potential Breakout Players

Targeting Players, NOT Shopping Them

As a general manager, if you are shopping your players, you are already in a position of weakness during negotiations with other teams. You are stating that you do not want this player which lowers their value.

This is why general managers say that they are not actively shopping the player but will listen to offers. They wait to hear from a team who wants the player in order to get a fair return because the team is motivated to trade for him.

Therefore if a GM is initiating a trade request (rather than waiting for someone to call them) then they will target a player on that team who has caught their attention or are the right fit. I doubt a GM would call another GM and ask "Do you want ____?" Rather they would call and say, "I'm interested in _____."

GM's target players who they feel have potential or who has impressed them. This may seem obvious but actually is the opposite approach of most proposals on this board that target which teams they think will want our players rather than targeting the RIGHT player to trade for.

This is also why we see few large trades with many players. General managers want certain guys who are high on their list, not simply whatever return they can get for their player.

Therefore the major question is, "Who are the players who have caught Mike Gillis' eye?"

When Cody Hodgson was traded, Gillis mentioned that there were 5-6 guys who he had his eye on and if one came available, he would take the opportunity to trade for him. One of those guys was Zack Kassian.

Potential Breakout Player to Target

If I were GM, I would target one or two players who were drafted in the past few years and are about to enter the NHL and really raise their value. Too many young players can hurt the franchise but one or two new guys each year can give the team a couple cheap contracts and good young players to work with. This is what Philly did with acquiring guys like Couterier and Voracek, which everyone on this board raves about.

So who would I target (who might be commonly known names next year because they are ready to break out?)

Dougie Hamilton - Big young defenseman who looks like he may turn out elite. Great guy to pair with Alex Edler. Gives the size, talent, defensive awareness as well as offensive prowess.

If I were Gillis, I would call Chiarelli and see what it would take to get him. Even if you overpay (which it would probably take), this guy will likely be elite. Ask Chiarelli who is in the Canucks organization that interests him. You never know which GM's are high on certain players.

They will NOT be cheap, a hefty price will be given. But if they are the player that you feel will put you over the top now and in the future, you can offer what needs to be given

Who are the young potential breakout players who you would target? Why?

A person who is already good and young but doesn't get much publicity is the New York Islander's Travis Hamonic. The 6'2" 200 pound, 21 year old defenseman put up 24 points in 73 games this past season (his 2nd in the NHL), and recorded a whopping 170 hits and 157 blocked shots while averaging 22:25 of ice time per game. By comparison, Bieksa had 159 hits and 106 blocked shots, and Edler had 143 hits and 145 blocked shots, and those two played more games and had more time-on-ice per game than Hamonic.

As discussed in this thread /topic/328712-value-of-travis-hamonic/">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328712-value-of-travis-hamonic/ we'd have to overpay for him because he's a solid young player who can handle big minutes.

A person who is already good and young but doesn't get much publicity is the New York Islander's Travis Hamonic. The 6'2" 200 pound, 21 year old defenseman put up 24 points in 73 games this past season (his 2nd in the NHL), and recorded a whopping 170 hits and 157 blocked shots while averaging 22:25 of ice time per game. By comparison, Bieksa had 159 hits and 106 blocked shots, and Edler had 143 hits and 145 blocked shots, and those two played more games and had more time-on-ice per game than Hamonic.

As discussed in this thread /topic/328712-value-of-travis-hamonic/">http://forum.canucks...travis-hamonic/ we'd have to overpay for him because he's a solid young player who can handle big minutes.

Archived