The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] New Norris-Dominating Defender(s) on the Horizon?

New Mr. Norris  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just a discussion for fun, to add some variety to the numerous trade proposals and news stories on this forum.

With the retirement of Nick "Norris" Lidstrom, a.k.a. "Mr. Perfect", he takes with him numerous accolades earned throughout his distinguished career (four Stanley Cups, twelve All-Star Game nominations, one Conn Smythe trophy for playoff MVP and member of the Triple Gold Club (winner of the World Championship and Olympic Gold along with Lord Stanley's mug). More notably, his retirement ends an era in which he dominated the League as the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position", winning the James Norris Trophy SEVEN times during his career and six during the last decade (from 2000-03, 05-07 and in 2010), a feat only topped by Bobby Orr, whose career ended in the late 1970's.

With that said, the story must go on, the torch must be passed. What I'm interested in finding out is, who do you believe can become a perennial front-runner for the title of top defender, now that #5 has ridden off into the sunset, and what about him makes him the front-runner?

Will it be big bruisers, like the hulking Big Z, from Boston, Zdeno Chara? Or will it be '09 winner and Blackhawk and Team Canada linchpin Duncan Keith, with similar shutdown ability? What about Canuck fan favorite (and possible new Canuck? Just teasing :P) Shea Weber? Will slick offensive dynamo and Nick's countryman Erik Karlsson, who has his first nomination, pick up the torch and run with it? Or will L.A. King Drew Doughty, who is experiencing his first Stanley Cup final, become one of the premier challengers for the glorious title of the NHL's top defender?

Who would your choice be and why?

EDIT: one pick please

Rough, tough, and scoring machine Shea Weber will take home quite a few Norris trophies.

Smooth skating Alex Pietrangelo will also grab at least one. Underrated and still very young.

I can see Ryan Suter grabbing a few in Detroit as well. All the exposure will do wonders for his career (yes, I'm assuming the Wings sign Suter)

Erik Karlsson, Duncan Kieth, and Drew Doughty will all be in the mix yearly as well I think.

I don't think any one defenceman will dominate this league the way Lidstrom did, especially considering the fact that there are a lot of young, up-and-coming great defencemen (Peitrangelo, Edler, Karlsson etc.) and a lot of guys just passing their prime (Chara, Weber).

Kind of hard to argue with Karlsson's DOMINANT season, and his young age.

Chara is 35 - he'll still be effective in his late 30's, but I doubt he'll be winning many Norris trophies...Nick was special.

They should just rename the Trophy the Lidstrom trophy. I seriously doubt that anyone in the foreseeable future will dominate this Trophy like he has.

I'm sorry you can't put Keith on this list anymore, he'll always be in the discussion but IMO Oduya has a better chance of getting it from the Hawks then Keith, You could potentially throw Edler depending on his development and play,

This current era of defencemens is quite terrible. It's not very good at all. Sure there will always be a Norris candidate, but this is nothing compared to just in the past. Even the last couple years, in terms of overall Norris calibre defencemens, it's quite garbage. I'm not saying Weber or Chara are garbage players, but I don't even think these guys hall of fame bound. Maybe, maybe not. It all went downhill when the Neidermeyer who is hall of fame calibre retired. Pronger's career might be done, and Lidstrom just retired. The up and coming pool if you ask me is quite bad. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of star defencemens, but there no 1 or 2 or 3 that will really dominate it, like Lidstrom, Neidermeyer and Pronger did when they were here.

I don't think any one defenceman will dominate this league the way Lidstrom did, especially considering the fact that there are a lot of young, up-and-coming great defencemen (Peitrangelo, Edler, Karlsson etc.) and a lot of guys just passing their prime (Chara, Weber).

Weber. Even though it feels like he's old by now, he's not. He could dominate the league for a while. Of course, not the way Lidstrom did, but he could be a consistent finalist.

Tough to say, there are a lot of young guys that have great potential to do so.

Seabrook, Edler, Weber, Doughty, Karlsson, Letang, etc. They all have potential to grab a few Norris trophies but none will come as close to being as good as Lidstrom was. I am happy for all his accomplishments and wish him the best in his future. It is a sad day to see him leave and he will be greatly missed...

Archived