The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Steve Tambellini will consider offers for #1 pick

I read this yesterday and thought it would of been posted here by now, but I didn't see it, this is big news. Edmonton Oilers manager Steve Tambellini who has the number 1 pick in this years draft, has come out and said he is willing to trade his #1 pick this year. He isn't just going to give it away, but if he feels the a trade proposal given to him is what his team needs and is looking for, he won't hesitate to trade away the #1 pick.

What the Oilers really need is a goalie and defense, they don't really need anymore forwards since they have drafted them all in the last few years, but with Yakupov being labelled as the # 1 pick this year, many teams will be looking at him and possibly making a trade with Edmonton. Watching some of Yakupov's highlights is like watching a young Pavel Bure again believe it or not, this guy looks like he could be the real deal, his favorite player growing up was Pavel Bure and he plays pretty identical to Bure, with his speed and dangles and shot.

Here's the quote with Steve Tambellini.

OILERS COULD SHOCK HOCKEY WORLD

Steve Tambellini will consider offers for the No. 1 pick in the 2012 NHL entry draft until the last possible moment, but the Edmonton Oilers general manager reiterated on Friday that he’s not going to give it away.

“You always listen,” Tambellini said at the NHL draft combine. “But for us to move the No. 1 pick it would have to be quite a significant proposal. We’re not sure who this pick is now, and that’s the way it has been the past couple of years.”

If the Oilers do not deal the pick — and so far Tambellini has had just “soft calls” — many expect Edmonton to pick Sarnia forward Nail Yakupov with the first choice. But a few observers say they would not be shocked if the Oilers set the NHL on its ear and picked Everett defenceman Ryan Murray. The latter played for Canada at the world championship last month and was held in high regard by Oilers president of hockey operations Kevin Lowe, who was Canada’s GM.

On the topic of hiring a new Oilers coach, Tambellini said, “If it is done at the draft (or before), great. If it is done after that, so be it.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/01/russian-to-the-nhl

I really think if we can trade Luongo for Schenn and 5th pick, we can package the 5th/26th/Tanev/Schroeder for the 1st? That way they will still have a chance to pick a Murray/Reilly/Dumba/Reinhart. Mtl has nothing they'd want except Subban, Columbus is in rebuild mode too so they wouldn't give their prospect away to move one up.

If we can get first and get Yakupov, he could be our 21st century Bure game changer that we've been so desperately looking for.

Then I would ATTEMPT to trade Kesler/Raymond for J. Staal or Brayden Schenn.

Sign Garrison and Schultz if possible.

Sedins - Burrows

Booth - Staal/Schenn - Yakupov

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Volpatti - Manny - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schenn

Ballard - Garrison - Schultz - Salo

I really think if we can trade Luongo for Schenn and 5th pick, we can package the 5th/26th/Tanev/Schroeder for the 1st? That way they will still have a chance to pick a Murray/Reilly/Dumba/Reinhart. Mtl has nothing they'd want except Subban, Columbus is in rebuild mode too so they wouldn't give their prospect away to move one up.

If we can get first and get Yakupov, he could be our 21st century Bure game changer that we've been so desperately looking for.

Sedins - Burrows

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schenn

Sedins - Burrows

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Schenn

Oilers would be stupid to trade the pick. You always pick the best availible player at the draft. They can trade another forward for some D or sign a free agent.

Really hate to say it but look at what Canucks did with Luc. Best player was Kopitar but we were desporate for a D.

It's not that he isn't sold on Yakupov, I mean Yakupov is going to dominate the NHL. He's a rare talent, and there's a reason he's basically the runaway first overall in this draft. The reason Tambellini is wanting to trade it, is possibly to move down a few spots and get a solid player, or trade that pick for an NHL ready player right now. They already have lots of players from the first overall, so they need to start getting guys that will make a true impact now, rather then anyone they draft this year.

Not to mention, EDM's forwards for the future is pretty good, and they desperately need a defensemen. I can see them trying to trade down, maybe pick up something, and then draft Murray.

Oilers would be stupid to trade the pick. You always pick the best availible player at the draft. They can trade another forward for some D or sign a free agent.

Really hate to say it but look at what Canucks did with Luc. Best player was Kopitar but we were desporate for a D.

Archived