The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Van-Edm

To Van: 1st Overall Pick (Draft Nail Yakupov)

To Edm: Roberto Luongo, Alex Edler

I think it's a fair trade. Yakupov is the next Bure in the making. Luongo, with his long contract, doesn't have that much trading value as many people think. Edler would be the golden prize for Edm. Canucks get what they need and Oilers get a all star goalie in Luongo and a Top 2 Dmen in Edler.

I wouldn't want Edler or Luongo in the Western Conference if we traded them unless its absolutely necessary first of all.

And i think that they believe their starter is Dubnyk so I dont see them aquiring Lu.

To Van: 1st Overall Pick (Draft Nail Yakupov)

To Edm: Roberto Luongo, Alex Edler

I think it's a fair trade. Yakupov is the next Bure in the making. Luongo, with his long contract, doesn't have that much trading value as many people think. Edler would be the golden prize for Edm. Canucks get what they need and Oilers get a all star goalie in Luongo and a Top 2 Dmen in Edler.

Reasons Edmonton says no

1) You're sending over $8.5 million in cap space to them and not taking any back. Luongo's contract will handcuff them when they need to start re-signing all their young stars. taking up that much cap space just doesn't happen

2) Edmonton doesn't really need a goalie. Dubnyk isn't on Luongo's level but goaltending isn't Edmonton's biggest conren

3) Edler becomes UFA after next season, so you really only help theirr blueline for a year. That would be fine if they were taking a run at the cup this year, but they're not, they're building for the future.

I could see this going down:

To Vancouver: Schenn + Franson + 2012 1st

To Toronto: Luongo + Raymond

------------------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 1st overall pick

To Edmonton: 2012 5th overall pick + Keith Ballard

Draft Yakupov and Henrik Samuelsson in the first round

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Yakupov - Kesler - Booth

Higgins - Pahlsson - Malhotra

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Schenn