The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Car versus 10 motorcycles, 1 dead

Heretic

Every wrongful death crossing median/lane head on by texting should be Homicide...

Michigan man killed in Fond du Lac Co. crash involving 10 motorcycles

TAYCHEEDAH - A 59-year-old man from Michigan has died after a deadly crash where 10 motorcycles were involved.

Authorities shut down U.S. Highway 151 in Fond du Lac County after the crash on Thursday.

"There was a group of 12 motorcyclists traveling northbound on 151," Fond du Lac Sheriff's Operations Captain Dean Will told Newsradio 620 WTMJ's Michelle Richards.

"A southbound four-door sedan crossed the center line, striking several of the cycles. It resulted in 10 of the cycles being struck. As a result, one individual from Michigan was pronounced dead at the scene."

Nine other people were taken to area hospitals. As of Friday evening, five of them were still hospitalized.

Three motorcycle riders remained in critical condition at Theda Clark Hospital in Neenah.

Two other motorcycle riders are being treated at St. Agnes Hospital in Fond Du Lac, and it was believed they should survive their injuries.

The car driver, who is 25 years old and from Hilbert, Wis., is in fair condition. It's not clear when the 25-year-old will be released or arrested.

All of the motorcycle riders were from Michigan. Captain Will said that each of them were wearing helmets.

Investigators are still looking into the cause of the crash. They were awaiting blood-alcohol test results on the car driver, but they do not believe excessive speed was a cause of the crash.

Authorities say that when the driver is released, he will be brought to a jail for charges of bail jumping. He could be charged with homicide by negligent use of a motor vehicle.

Some videos / source here:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/155996395.html

Will be hard to prove whether or not he was distracted..

It was a split second accident, shouldn't be considered a crime..

You drive in a thousand pound machine @ 100k/hr, defying the laws of physics, stuff is bound to go wrong..It's just part of life

IF he was texting he should be charged with homicide. IF he was just inattentive well then its just sad.

I sold my motor bike when I moved to Vancouver from Victoria 20 years ago. I saw how people drive here and decided I wanted to survive. Add phone calls and texts and you will be wearing an SUV on your back sooner or later.

Perhaps we should wait until we find out what caused him to cross the centre line before we break out the torches and pitchforks. If he was impaired, drowsy, distracted, careless then yes throw the book at him, criminal negligence, but until we know for sure there is an outside chance of a mechanical problem with the car that could cause a swerve.

Perhaps we should wait until we find out what caused him to cross the centre line before we break out the torches and pitchforks. If he was impaired, drowsy, distracted, careless then yes throw the book at him, criminal negligence, but until we know for sure there is an outside chance of a mechanical problem with the car that could cause a swerve.

Will be hard to prove whether or not he was distracted..

It was a split second accident, shouldn't be considered a crime..

You drive in a thousand pound machine @ 100k/hr, defying the laws of physics, stuff is bound to go wrong..It's just part of life

Archived