The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE & SIGN] Vokoun to Pens

David Pagnotta@TheFourthPeriod

Capitals trade G Tomas Vokoun's rights to Pittsburgh for a 7th RD pick. Vokoun waived his no-move clause.

The Penguins now have until July 1 to sign Vokoun, or he'll become a UFA.

Not so much faith in Fleury anymore? And if they do sign him, that's one less goalie on the market. Luongo / Schnieders value goes up again.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

PIT acquires right to Tomas Vokoun from WSH for 7th rd pick. Which suggests Vokoun's new contract in PIT is likely done or will be shortly.

Also, Fleury and Vokoun share the same agent, Allan Walsh aka @walsha

Update:

Penguins have signed Vokoun now... 2-year, $4M contract.

Vokoun has agreed to terms on a two year deal with PIT.

Vokoun gets $2M per year on the two year deal.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=397591

The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired goalie Tomas Vokoun from the Washington Capitals on Monday for a seventh-round draft pick and then signed the veteran to a two-year, $4 million contract.

The veteran goalie was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The 35-year-old was 25-17-2 last season with a 2.51 goals against average and a .917 save percentage in 48 appearances for Washington.

Vokoun became the odd man out in Washington with the emergence of Braden Holtby and Michal Neuvirth.

Vokoun is likely to become the back-up to starter Marc-Andre Fleury, which puts the future of Brent Johnson as a Penguin in question.

WSH had given Vokoun permission to shop around before July 1. PIT made an offer that others, including TOR, wouldn't.

Guest AriGold

I heard from somebody 3 weeks ago that the Pens were looking to trade Fleury. I thought nothing of it but this sure adds fuel to the fire..

I can't see Pittsburgh trading M.A.F. He's still top quality. Vokoun is good but, at 35, he's not a long term goalie. Why create a short term problem when they still have a proven #1 with a lot of years left? It doesn't make sense at this time. I think they added him to have a solid plan B in case M.A.F. needs to take a few more games off; Much like Schneids allowed Lou to take more games off last season.

Interesting that Tomas Vokoun would sign to be Marc-Andre Fleury's backup when he can probably go somewhere else where he can be the clear-cut number one--like Toronto. I guess he really does want the Stanley Cup.

Archived