The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE & SIGN] Vokoun to Pens

Do you think the actions of a Stanley Cup champion and a now perennial playoff team does NOT influence how another GM thinks of their team? Come on, think man.

If Pittsburgh decides a goal tending tandem is the way to go, I guarantee you other GM's are going to give it thought. And look at St. Louis this year with Halak/Elliot.

The more it happens, the more wheels it gets. It's not rocket science.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that Shero's decision is at least partially influenced by his starting goalie putting up one of the worst statistical performances of all time.

I'm also going to suggest you review how useful the Blues' tandem was when it was needed most - round 2.

I didn't once say I wanted a goaltending tandem. In fact I said I am going to be incredibly disappointed if Gillis keeps both Schneider and Luongo next year.

The only point I was making is that if a team like Pittsburgh, who is a power house in todays NHL, decides to go the tandem route, more teams might think that having a stellar backup like Vokoun is now the way to go.

Regardless of how St. Louis did in round 2, they still had a very good regular season. And considering how so many people around here absolutely love regular season success (Presidents Trophy), it may provide yet another case of how a team should have a great tandem like St. Louis, and now Pittsburgh.

I do NOT want a true tandem. I believe the team should have one goaltender who is the go to guy in the playoffs (Quick, Brodeur, MAF, Rinne, Luongo). Obviously I want a good back up, but I don't feel that back up should be expected to play in playoffs. Get the franchise goalie and run with him. If Luongo stays as ours, I will back him 100%.

And yes, Shero's decision IS obviously influenced by how MAF played in the playoffs. Obviously he needs a backup for the freak breakdown MAF had. My point is that I don't want Gillis viewing our team in the same light when he could get a great return on either Schneider or Luongo. He's said he likes both goalies a number of times, so I don't think its far fetched to think Gillis would be willing to keep both. I hope he doesn't.

We are going to get a tandem any way you slice it. I think the demand is going to be high enough for Luongo that it seems pretty destined that he is moved. But then we have tandem 2.0 in a year or two, because Eddie Lack is the real deal again - I think he'll make the idea of acquiring a backup look like a silly afterthought - I have a lot of faith that the Canucks will once again have a guy to go to who won't be a drop off in terms of the team's ability to pick up points while Schneider gets a rest... and you never know, he might just push the envelope himself.

This is what you posted:

You say that Shero's decision will obviously affect other teams (to the point of berating those who think otherwise). But then you admit that Shero's circumstances are unique, and that recent playoffs have proven that having one key, go-to guy is the best way to go.

So why would Gillis care what Shero is doing to insulate his basketcase French goalie? If anything, Shero is copying Gillis, who already did that by not trading Schneider.

The only point I was making is that if a respected team, like Pittsburgh, is now going with an elite caliber backup and spending money on it, other teams ARE going to take note. It's starting to trend more. Like you said, Vancouver has already done it with Luongo and Schneider. St. Louis just did it with Halak and Elliott.

I don't really see what you are trying to argue with me about? There is a small case being made for elite level backups and it could potentially get wheels. Gillis has done it and said he's comfortable with it, however it's not something I am fond of at all. I'm hoping he doesn't see this as a new way to go as well and just keep both.

That is all. I feel like you are arguing for no real reason. What's the issue?

It would be foolish not to give Lack the opportunity - he has earned the chance every bit as much as Schneider did, and that didn't work out so badly, did it? Why waste an asset on the market at this point, when the demand is high and what is available may not be necessary? Wait, give Lack a chance, and if the Canucks decide they need to acquire a veteran, they have lots of assets to do so.

Guest Dasein

Like I said, give him a shot, but I would have that veteran backup already acquired. Going into a season with a starter who has never played more than 33 games in an NHL season and a backup who has never played a single NHL game is RISKY! Forget the names of the players involved for a second, recognize that we all tend to overrate "our" players and think about what we would say if some other team did that.

I can't see Pittsburgh trading M.A.F. He's still top quality. Vokoun is good but, at 35, he's not a long term goalie. Why create a short term problem when they still have a proven #1 with a lot of years left? It doesn't make sense at this time. I think they added him to have a solid plan B in case M.A.F. needs to take a few more games off; Much like Schneids allowed Lou to take more games off last season.

Archived