The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Reclamation project Van-Col

Just throwing out an idea here. As long as AV is behind the bench, it appears Keith Ballard isn't going to be given the offence freedom he needs to play a successful style that suits him. His contract, while a burden in Vancouver, is much more palatable in other markets where he could be used in a larger role.

With that said, it seems we will either have to take on another bad contract in order to move him, or sell him off for next to nothing.

I propose .....

To Colorado : Keith Ballard

To Vancouver : Peter Mueller

Colorado has two import things that accomadate Ballard : The most cap space in the league, and a need for veteran defenseman. While they have an abundance of young talent on the blueline ( Tyson Barrie, Stefan Elliot, Duncan Siemens) There is no guarantee that all three of them are ready for regular nhl action next season. That leaves them with only Erik Johnson, Jan Hejda, Ryan O'Byrne, and Ryan Wilson for next season. Ballard could be a useful addition .

Vancouver gets a huge wild card in Peter Mueller. Colorado may be willing to part with him because of his concussion issues ( He only played in 32 games last year) and he is also an RFA. With Statsny, Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Hejduk, Downie, McGinn and Porter likely all trying to make the top 2 lines, they might be willing to let Mueller walk.

Injuries aside, the positives for Vancouver include: a 6 foot 2, 205 pound centerman who is only 24 year old, and that can be signed for cheap because of his recent injuries. He has shown flashes of brilliance in the past, and if we give him the proper time he needs to heal it could turn out to be a great high risk, high reward deal.

If Ballard is moved, and Mueller is resigned for 1.5 to 2 million, this also gives us even more space to make a serious run at Parise/Suter, or even offersheet Weber. In the long run, the potential of Mueller even with injuries, is much better than the 4th or 5th round pick Ballard would get us otherwise.

Thoughts?

I honestly think we could get a 2nd for Ballard at the draft from NYI, with that being said we should keep Ballard, with Salo maybe retiring, Our D without Ballard

Hamhuis-Bieska

Edler-Tanev

Rome-Alberts(I think KConn and Sauve still need another year)

I honestly think we could get a 2nd for Ballard at the draft from NYI, with that being said we should keep Ballard, with Salo maybe retiring, Our D without Ballard

Hamhuis-Bieska

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieska

Edler-Tanev

Yeah, this is a good proposal, but I would hope for a little more coming our way, be cause we would be acquiring his RFA rights, and they would be getting a contract player.

I might be wrong, but it seems that we could have a pick or something our way.

We won't be getting Gardiner from Toronto. My guess is Schenn and Armstrong (maybe something like a pick too) for Luongo. I love this deal though.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Mueller

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Armstrong-Malhotra-Kassian/other

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Schenn

Tanev-Salo (if he doesn't retire)

I think we are going to try and send Malholtra to T.O. in that package which would deffinitely warrant a pick. Probably something like this:

Tor- Luongo, Malholtra, Raymonds rights, 26th overall

Van- Schenn, Armstrong, 5th overall

I really like armstrong as a fourth liner and he can move up and down the line-up, he just needs to stay healthy and Toronto has wanted to get rid of him so he's basically a cap dump that could really help us.

I like this as a starting point. I think we could get a pick from this deal as well. Could be a good deal expect ally if we get a dman for Luongo and Garrison seems like a good possibility.

Archived