The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2nd-3rd overall draft picks

gmen81

best draft picks  

217 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In 1999 the Canucks were able to grab Daniel and Henrik Sedin with the 2nd and 3rd overall picks. I was wondering if the Canucks were able to draft any of the players that went 2nd and 3rd overall in the same year since 2000, which players do you think would help the Canucks the most?

Or do you think the Sedins would have been the best?

That's actuall really tough. Doughty and Bogosian would give us two elite d men

Edler - Doughty

Hamhuis - Bogosian

Tanev - Bieksa

That's an amazing defence right there. Although we would get slapped hard by the cap (Chicago-like) with Doughty, Bogosian, and Schneider needing pay raises.

I'll take Hedman and Duchene. If we take last year's team, and just add those two, we'd be beast.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Duchene-Kesler

Higgins-Pahlsson-Hansen

Raymond-Lapierre-Malhotra

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Hedman

Ballard-Salo

Tanev

Luongo

Schneider

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Toews-Kesler

Higgins-Staal-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-Kassian

OR

Edler-Doughty

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Ballard-Bogosian

Tough to pick 2010 or 2011 as some of those players haven't played in the league yet or haven't quite peaked yet but definitely got some promise!

Heatley and Gaborik have had pretty good careers thus far. Heatley and Gaborik wouldn't be as helpful now, but they would've nearly guaranteed a cup during the WCE era.

But really, I think the Sedins are better than all of those combos.

I know this is a poll question but I'm bored with the Canucks not still in the playoffs. I went a little deeper. In 1980 2nd round Dave Babych and 3rd round Denis Savard. Or Petr Nedved 2nd and Keith Primeau 3rd overall in 1990. Or Pat Falloon 2nd and Scott Niedermayer 3rd in 1991. Flame away!

Pretty interesting question. I chose Staal and Toews. Having those two centers in your lineup would be huge, both are very good defensively and score.

Don't know if any of those groups are as good a the Sedins, though. We were pretty lucky to get two Art Ross winners and MVP's (Hart/Lindsay) back to back like that.

In some ways this is an unfair poll, because we've seen what Heatley and Gaborik are capable of doing, while Landeskog and Huberdeau may turn out to be even better, but we don't know that yet.

Archived