The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft

I agree with your idea that you doubt it's done but wouldn't be surprised.

Kinda sketchy that NHL insider analysts such as Bob Mckenzie and Darren Dreger have been reporting not much activity with the Luongo situation yet we have some questionable sources saying that the deal to Toronto is done. Wouldn't those well known analysts have an idea about that? We'll see. Just can't wait to see what the deal is!

If we are not getting their 1st rounder (I assume 1st OVERALL was a typo), then we better be getting Schenn. Nothing else, even Kadri or Ashton, would suffice. Plus The Leafs would HAVE TO give us a contract to fit Lu under their cap, Schenn makes the most sense. Ballard is not going to Toronto. Maybe Raymond, though I doubt, but definitely not Ballard.

If they are giving us their 5th overall, then I would be willing to take Komo.

Why would anyone be interested in Schenn? IMO Schenn is the cap dump. The Leafs trusted him less than Komisarek this past year based on his QualCOMP rating. His possession stats were also downright brutal. Schenn is a lot closer to being the next Cam Barker than he is becoming the next Rob Scuderi.

Absolutely no interest in Gunnarson or Kulemin either, or any of that other Leaf crap that you hear being offered.

For me it's really Gardiner, or the 5th overall pick, or bust.

Guys lets be honest here. We are not going to deal luongo to Toronto for Schenn++. The way is see it is, we are getting Gardiner no matter what. There is no Leaf prospects that is worth trading for other than there 5th overall selection and Gardiner.

I see this happening

To Van: Gardiner, Kadri, 2nd

To Tor: Luongo, Tanev, 1st

getting Gardiner almost guarantees us getting Schultz, so Tanev is expendable. Would like to see Gillis trade for Schultz's rights.

Why would anyone be interested in Schenn? IMO Schenn is the cap dump. The Leafs trusted him less than Komisarek this past year based on his QualCOMP rating. His possession stats were also downright brutal. Schenn is a lot closer to being the next Cam Barker than he is becoming the next Rob Scuderi.

Absolutely no interest in Gunnarson or Kulemin either, or any of that other Leaf crap that you hear being offered.

For me it's really Gardiner, or the 5th overall pick, or bust.

Guys lets be honest here. We are not going to deal luongo to Toronto for Schenn++. The way is see it is, we are getting Gardiner no matter what. There is no Leaf prospects that is worth trading for other than there 5th overall selection and Gardiner.

I see this happening

To Van: Gardiner, Kadri, 2nd

To Tor: Luongo, Tanev, 1st

getting Gardiner almost guarantees us getting Schultz, so Tanev is expendable. Would like to see Gillis trade for Schultz's rights.

This is also a 22 year old in arguably the worst defensive system in the league.

Its pretty likely the 5th and Gardiner are non-starters.

Its hard to deny his upside, and if he is partnered with Edler its not like he faces tough competition...

What upside? If Luke Schenn weren't a former 5th overall pick, and weren't a Leafs player, no one would want him. All he is right now is hype.

The regression that Schenn has shown at his age is a huge red flag. It's one thing to be stuck in a bad defensive system, it's another to be the absolute worst defenseman in that system. Yes, Mike Komisarek was a better player than Luke Schenn last year, and Komisarek is the guy we want to avoid like the plague.

I think Burke could be desperate to save his job. There are no legitimate number 1 goalies available now. Luongo is it. Burke cannot risk going into the season once again without a legitimate number 1. I personally think that 5th overall pick is easier to move than Gardiner considering Gardiner is currently producing for the Leafs whereas the 5th overall pick is an asset they have yet to realize. They would be, essentially, adding without subtracting.

A part of me thinks that we are set to get one of the two, but that will be determined at the draft. If Galchenyuk isn't taken and falls to 5, the Leafs will send us Gardiner. If Galchenyuk is taken, then we will get the pick.

Some of you are overrating Schenn, while others are underrating him. I live in Toronto. He is a big young physical shut down defenseman capable of playing top 4 minutes. Though as a contender we think the Canucks are I'm more comfortable playing him as 5th. He has huge upside but at this time he is mistakes prone. He is higher on the depth chart then Komo. At 3.6 M cap hit per year he is being paid fairly.

The Leafs have to move a contract to make room for Lu's. So it's either Schenn, or Komo, or some other roster player, plus a pick or prospect. It will not be 2 prospects/picks and no roster player.

The fact that at age 21 he was logging top pairing minutes, has shown that he can play in a top pairing shutdown role successfully.

You can't deny his poor season by and means but one season doe not speak about his upside as a 22 year old d-man.

I think Burke could be desperate to save his job. There are no legitimate number 1 goalies available now. Luongo is it. Burke cannot risk going into the season once again without a legitimate number 1. I personally think that 5th overall pick is easier to move than Gardiner considering Gardiner is currently producing for the Leafs whereas the 5th overall pick is an asset they have yet to realize. They would be, essentially, adding without subtracting.

A part of me thinks that we are set to get one of the two, but that will be determined at the draft. If Galchenyuk isn't taken and falls to 5, the Leafs will send us Gardiner. If Galchenyuk is taken, then we will get the pick.

Not necessarily true. His QualCOMP still wasn't top 2 amongst the Leaf defensemen in 2010-11, and his QualTEAM was the highest of any Leaf defensemen. That tells me he's been sheltered. It's fine to shelter a 21 year old defenseman, no doubt, but when he comes back the following year and regresses as badly as he did that's a huge problem and red flag.

Archived