The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Fan 960 in Calgary: Luongo to Toronto done at draft

Yeah, I'd rather have Colborne too. However, Burke has been talking a lot about keeping/acquiring the type of players that fit Carlyle's system. Colborne is one of their only solid prospects who fits that mold.

They already have the skilled guy in Grabovski, and made a commitment to keeping him, which makes Kadri a likely guy to be dealt. And at this point, we shouldn't turn our nose up at any center with top-6 potential.

what are you talking about? stab him in the back - that is crazy nonsense - he signed that 5 million contract before he was worth it and then he earned it - it wasn't a hometown discount signing like the Sedins, etc.  Kesler is 27 - not an aging veteran, and exactly what the Oilers need.  Leadership and grit, and a center.  Shut down role should not come down to Kesler - hence the addition of Pahlsson. The team image?  Kesler hasn't exactly been the poster boy for that.

I think the best place for Kessel is on the Laffs, or in the definition of over-rated thread.

Have you seen Colbourne actually play? He plays pretty soft for a big kid. He's a solid two-way centre, but I don't know if he has top 6 in him. I think he'll turn out to be a Stoll at his best. On the other hand, I don't want anything to do with Kadri.

I have seen Colborne play - he is not Dustin Brown by any stretch of the imagination - but he does use his size effectively, and as you say is a solid two way guy - I honestly don't see anyone else in the Leafs system that I am itching to see in a Canucks uniform - I'd rather see Luongo go to Columbus and Johansen come back to Vancouver, but where Toronto is concerned, there is only so much to work with. If Colborne were a Stoll, that would not be so bad, particularly as part of a package with another prospect and pick.

So the Sedins, coming off of 82-point seasons, sign for 6.1, and it's a huge hometown discount.

But Kesler, coming off of a 75-point season and placing 2nd in Selke trophy voting, signing for 5, a year later and with a higher cap, was not a discount at all?

Seriously, you're way out to lunch here. Kesler was an absolute monster of a player, who has been hobbled by injuries. Thing is, his attitude and work ethic have propelled him to overcome injuries and defy expectations in the past, and I expect that it will happen again. Like you said - he's not an old player. And he DID take a paycut - he's loyal to this team. I would not trade him - certainly not for anything we could get for him in his injured state (no way would Edmonton trade Eberle, btw).

I am not devaluing Kesler - I love the way he plays, I like the chip on his shoulder and I am hoping his injuries don't get in the way of his career - but there is a slight contradiction there to say that it is crazy to suggest acquiring Eberle, and then there is no way Edmonton would let go of him...Kesler's injuries were not as apparent at the deadline. I think that would have been a good hockey trade - and the 4 million could have come in handy. But regardless, I am glad we moved Hodgson instead, big time.

Dreger just said on 1040 today that Florida was the best bet for landing Lu. I would rather take the option of trying to land either Gudbrannson, Howden, Huberdeau, or Kulikov over the Leafs junk (Unless it was their 5th). Only thing is that the Panthers have Markstom and he may be ready in a couple years. An Edler-Gudbrannson would be sick though!

My biggest fear is that Kesler continues to struggle and he gets another "pass" because people will say, "well its sad that his career was wrecked by injury". The fact is, injuring your hip/shoulder doesn't effect your ability to pass and utilize your teammates. His shot looked fine too me, it was his poor decisions that led to Keslers bad season. Just like AV said, there is more to his performance than his injury.

Don't undersell Luongo, Schenn and Komisarek couldn't even crack the lineup in Toronto on occasion, i'd be upset with either of them in a deal. If he is going to TO, I would expect either Kadri or Colborne in a package. Gunnerson is overrated, as are most players playing in T-dot.

Ballard > Komisarek

Ballard > Schenn

If anything, Pittsburgh has only helped us by adding Vokoun. Pittsburgh is showing teams that these days, a number 1 goalie just isn't good enough, which proves that more teams might think about stepping up to add quality goaltending depth. Gone are the days of inexperienced or washed up vets as backups.

Archived