The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would you do if you were Mike Gillis?

I thought this would be interesting to see what you guys would do this offseason. You can do trades and sign players. I am not so sure on value and stuff like that but I think I would do both the trades if I were either Toronto, Nashville or the Islanders.

Assumed cap hit for next year: 70.3 million

On draft day:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Andrew Alberts

To Vancouver:

Cody Franson

Colby Armstrong

2nd Round Pick 2012 (35th overall)

Probably an overpayment by Vancouver but we acquire two pieces that will help our team and shedding some cap space in the process. Toronto want to get rid of Armstrong and they have an abundance of defensemen so Franson is expandable.

To Nashville:

6th Round Pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Paul Gaustad (rights)

Paul Gaustad was a disappointment in Nashville and they likely want to get his contract off the books.

To New York Islanders:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Ty Wishart

3rd Round Pick 2012

Ballard played great during the playoffs but there is no way we can be spending 4.2 million on a fifth defensemen. If another solution can be found I hope it is found but at this moment I feel it is necessary to trade Keith Ballard.

______________________________________________________________________________________

July 1st:

Sign Jay Beagle (WSH) for 1 year $800,000

Depth forward who played great for Washington during the playoffs

Sign Jason Garrison for 3 years $13,500,000 (4.5 per)

Has developed into an offensive threat in Florida and has stated that if he goes to July 1st Vancouver will be on top his list of destinations to go.

Sign Jonas Gustavsson for 1 year $1,500,000

He has not been playing well this past year and does mistakes sometimes but when he is on his game he is beast.

2012-2013 lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Hansen - Gaustad - Armstrong/Kassian

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian/Armstrong

Beagle, Weise

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Franson

Gragnani

Schneider

Gustavsson

Cap hit: $64,570,000 (5,730,000 in cap space)

I would spend that money on either Barret Jackman (4.5) or Bryan Allen (3.5)

Bigger, faster, younger, stronger.

What would you do?

We don't need too many changes. I want Kassian and Jensen to get a chance on the 3rd line with Hansen, but a solid scoring, skilled 3rd line center would be nice to find - otherwise Lapierre or Pahlsson will have to remain.

Our key changes are needed on defence. Our untouchables right now are the big 3 of Edler (only getting better), Hamhuis (best overall D-man) and Bieksa (NTC, otherwise he'd be gone). We still need a top-4 defenceman to replace Ehrhoff's departure and another top-4 defenceman to replace Salo's minutes - even if he doesn't retire, Salo can't play 20 minutes a game and still be successful in the playoffs as we learned this season.

Edler - $4M D-man

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Salo - $3M D-man

Alberts - Tanev

These defencemen have to be big, strong, physical shutdown guys who might score 30 points max, but are solid in their own zone ala Mitchell and Greene who are in the Cup finals right now for that exact reason. We have enough scoring defencemen but no big, tough guys on our blueline which is a major concern considering the fact that this is the most integral part of a Cup-winning defence.

I believe re-tooling our second line will make our third line better. I've already posted my thoughts on our forward situation, but never got to the D, so I'll start over.

First of all, I personally believe N. Jensen starts next season provided he's 100% (concussion). He is gonna be an offensive juggernaut and has shown it at every level so far. I think he competes for the Calder next year.

The Lou deal gets done. MG needs to resolve the goalie situation once and for all. Roberto Luongo, Kevin Connauton, Keith Ballard for Clarke MacArthur, Mike Komisarek and 2nd round pick 2012. In my mind, the Komisarek, Ballard part is a wash. Both players need a change of scenery.

Jordan Staal may be available. If he is Vancouver should jump all over him. David Booth, Jordan Schoeder and our first round pick 2012 for Jordan Staal. Add more if necessary. Get him.

Next is making a move for Weber if he becomes a RFA. Offer him a rediculous deal for one year ( $10,000,000). Best case scenario, we get our superstar dman. Worst case, Nashville matches, handcuffs themselves in other areas and we sign him next year.

Three UFA's I would like to see here if they become availlable (depending on Weber outcome). Brandon Prust, Paul Gaustad and Dennis Wideman.

Line up with Weber:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

MacArthur - Staal - Jensen

Higgins - Kesler - Hansen

Weise - Gaustad - Kassian

Malhotra, Bitz, Pinizzotto

Hamhuis - Weber

Edler - Bieksa

Tanev - Komisarek

Alberts, MAG

Schneids

Lack

Line up without Weber:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

MacArthur - Staal - Jensen

Higgins - Kesler - Hansen

Prust - Gaustad - Kassian

Malhotra, Bitz, Weise

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Wideman

Tanev - Komisarek

Alberts, MAG

Schneids

Lack

These deals and trades are made with the notion that the cap goes up to $70,000,000. Let the ripping begin.

I thought this would be interesting to see what you guys would do this offseason. You can do trades and sign players. I am not so sure on value and stuff like that but I think I would do both the trades if I were either Toronto, Nashville or the Islanders.

On draft day:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Andrew Alberts

To Vancouver:

Cody Franson

Colby Armstrong

Probably an overpayment by Vancouver but we acquire two pieces that will help our team and shedding some cap space in the process. Toronto want to get rid of Armstrong and they have an abundance of defensemen so Franson is expandable.

To Nashville:

6th Round Pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Paul Gaustad (rights)

Paul Gaustad was a disappointment in Nashville and they likely want to get his contract off the books.

To New York Islanders:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Ty Wishart

3rd Round Pick 2012

Ballard played great during the playoffs but there is no way we can be spending 4.2 million on a fifth defensemen. If another solution can be found I hope it is found but at this moment I feel it is necessary to trade Keith Ballard.

______________________________________________________________________________________

July 1st:

Has developed into an offensive threat in Florida and has stated that if he goes to July 1st Vancouver will be on top his list of destinations to go.

He has not been playing well this past year and does mistakes sometimes but when he is on his game he is beast.

2012-2013 lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Beagle, Weise

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Franson

Gragnani

Schneider

Gustavsson

What would you do?

1. Luongo, Sauve to FLA for Bjugstad and 1st

2. Our first + Raymond+ Hansen for Ott and 2012 second and 2012 4th

3.sign Moen, 3 years at 2.2 mill (overpayment, but he is a UFA

4. Trade Ballard for a 3rd and 4th (whichever team)

Boom!

Add Moen and Ott to your bottom six

Move up in the first round

Bjugstad is a great prospect future 2nd line center

We lose Hansen but he is a very streaky player

Ott trade may be a bit of an overpayment, but he is EXACTLY what we need.

Booon

1. Luongo, Sauve to FLA for Bjugstad and 1st

2. Our first + Raymond+ Hansen for Ott and 2012 second and 2012 4th

3.sign Moen, 3 years at 2.2 mill (overpayment, but he is a UFA

4. Trade Ballard for a 3rd and 4th (whichever team)

Boom!

Add Moen and Ott to your bottom six

Move up in the first round

Bjugstad is a great prospect future 2nd line center

We lose Hansen but he is a very streaky player

Ott trade may be a bit of an overpayment, but he is EXACTLY what we need.

Booon

No way I make that trade with Toronto, he's a plug with a $3 million cap hit, do not want.

I would make the deal with Nashville, and I don't see why they wouldn't, he is most likely not returning there.

The New York deal is iffy, the Canucks come out winners by a fair amount. If we could get a 3rd I would be happy, but to throw in Wishart who still has a slim chance to be a decent D man in the NHL sways the deal too much in our favour.

I gotta admit, I like your work here!

Yes, each item is a tough sell. But thats what GM's get paid for, and your clearly looking for good value. GM MG calls this money ball, something he quoted (referring to the Oakland A's small market use of signing speed size and talent for reasonable dollars rather than big name free agents). So maybe all does not work out, but in each case we get good assets and cap space.

The exception is TO. I think we can do a lot better than Colby Armstrong (a 29 year old 30 point fwd) and Franson (who they got for a 2knd round pick)!

I do like Franson, Gaustad, Jackman, Wyshart is a clever move returning a a serviceable body for a contract.

On draft day:

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Andrew Alberts

To Vancouver:

Cody Franson

Colby Armstrong

To Nashville:

6th Round Pick 2013

To Vancouver:

Paul Gaustad (rights)

To New York Islanders:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Ty Wishart

3rd Round Pick 2012

July 1st:

2012-2013 lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Beagle, Weise

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Garrison

Tanev - Franson

Gragnani

Schneider

Gustavsson

What would you do?

I have thought a lot about the deals that I proposed and I have to say I agree with what you are saying about the Luongo and Ballard deals.

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Luke Schenn

2nd Round Pick 2012

I think this is pretty fair value as getting Schenn out of Toronto will be hard and he is Burke's little baby. Again, Toronto may have to add something to make the deal more fair but I think I would be very happy with a deal like this.

To Tampa Bay:

Keith Ballard

2nd Round Draft Pick (Vancouver)

To Vancouver:

Teddy Purcell

Tampa are short on D and Vancouver need a playmaking right winger for the second line. I think this deal is again something I would accept. Ballard has shows previously in his career and during the playoffs that he is a capable top 4 defensemen but maybe the Eastern Conference just suits him better.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Purcell

Higgins - Gaustad - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Kassian

Beagle

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Schenn

Garrison - Tanev

Gragnani

looking better? I am an amateur when it comes to proposals.

I love the Tampa trade.

I hope we can do a little better on Lou, but like Schenn who would be a fair headliner as the return. Guys like Richards returned a roster player not quite at Schenn's calibre but a premium prospect (Schenn's brother) and a pick for Philly. Get Burkie to work a little harder, perhaps Colburne and Schenn?

I have thought a lot about the deals that I proposed and I have to say I agree with what you are saying about the Luongo and Ballard deals.

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Luke Schenn

2nd Round Pick 2012

I think this is pretty fair value as getting Schenn out of Toronto will be hard and he is Burke's little baby. Again, Toronto may have to add something to make the deal more fair but I think I would be very happy with a deal like this.

To Tampa Bay:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Teddy Purcell

Tampa are short on D and Vancouver need a playmaking right winger for the second line. I think this deal is again something I would accept. Ballard has shows previously in his career and during the playoffs that he is a capable top 4 defensemen but maybe the Eastern Conference just suits him better.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Purcell

Beagle

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Schenn

Garrison - Tanev

Gragnani

I trade Lu for a top 6 winger. Then I trade Malhotra, Ballard, and Alberts at the draft. My only interest in return is a 3rd line center and some picks, we don't need any of them and their contracts prevent us from acquiring what we really need.

I take the cap space I just created and sign a top 4 d via free agency. I don't qualify raymond.

There is no point guessing at exactly who is involved in these trades, you never know what teams will or won't deal with vancouver or who they like or don't like.

I love the Tampa trade.

I hope we can do a little better on Lou, but like Schenn who would be a fair headliner as the return. Guys like Richards returned a roster player not quite at Schenn's calibre but a premium prospect (Schenn's brother) and a pick for Philly. Get Burkie to work a little harder, perhaps Colburne and Schenn?

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver:

Luke Schenn

2nd Round Pick 2012

To Tampa Bay:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Teddy Purcell

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Purcell

Beagle

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Edler - Schenn

Garrison - Tanev

Gragnani

Archived