The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] London 2012 Olympics Thread

UMB

MADRID - Canadian diving veteran Alexandre Despatie suffered a large cut to his head in a diving mishap in Spain, making his status for the London Olympics uncertain.

The 27-year-old from Laval, Que., was hurt while performing an inward triple flip and struck the board with full force.

Mitch Geller of Diving Canada says Despatie lost his balance and his head hit the end of the springboard, just below the hairline.

Despatie was pulled from the water by lifeguards and his coach, Arturo Miranda, but Geller says the diver did not appear to lose consciousness.

Despatie required surgery to close the wound and is expected to remain in a Madrid hospital under observation for at least 24 hours.

Despatie, who has won two silver medals in previous Olympics, is not expected to compete in the Madrid Grand Prix this weekend, nor an event in Italy next week.

His mother, Christiane, says the cut is about 10 centimetres long.

• 2 weeks later...

That song is horrible in comparison =/

I'm still so annoyed at the way they handled the Beckham situation. Way to use the guy to land the games, sell tickets and then cut him off the team.

Let's be real.. when you think of athletes from GB, Beckham is at the top of the list. He definitely was strung along by Pearce. I hope he at least gets to light the torch as a consolation prize !

• 2 weeks later...

As I said, hokum. What a load of tripe - the secret rulers of the planet? Fake alien invasion? It would have to be some fake - we've seen Independence Day. Signs. District 9. If these so-called elite are so smart, they'd come up with a better idea than a fake alien invasion :lol:

I prefer ranking medals by golds as opposed to overall. Puts more value on a gold medal.

In other news, the Beach Volleyball draws were held today. Canada has a team in both the men's and women's competitions, after having not qualified any teams in Beijing.

The men are in a group with the 6th overall ranked Brazilian team, 17th ranked Norway, and host Great Britain.

The Women are in a group with Italy (ranked 6th), Russia, and Great Britain.

Archived