The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A More Rounded Set of Lines

RyanKeslord17

If we are going to play with lines to make them more dangerous, check this out?

Danny/Kesler/Booth

Jensen/Hank/Burrows .

Higgins/UFA Arnott/Hansen

Lappy/Manny/Kassian

Bitz

- Hank replaces Booth on the top PP, Burrows/Arnott/Booth is a better 2knd PP than current.

- Alternate 2kndline Burrows/Hank/Kassian if he wins the role.

- Alternates to Arnott could be Kelly, Gaustad and Stoll in order of affordability as 3rd line center UFA's. Kelly is a fine choice.

Its not that Kesler is better than Hank. But that, as a first line offers significantly better physicality and speed than our current first line, two potential 40 goal scorers and a world class play maker in Danny. It spreads match up problems which have plagued us! Now Burrows and Hank get a big, fast, scoring winger for size match ups also. Jensen clearly would not be as good as Danny, but they would get the opportunity to run amok victimizing secondary defensive pairings and avoid lines like Seguin / Bergeron / Marchand. Its exciting when you work it out?

:frantic:

I was just thinking, really the Canucks do no need any huge changes, they don't need any in fact. Sure we should definetely sign a couple UFA's to fill some voids, but other than that, we still have the same core that took us to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

This line up will obviously only work if we have the ability to improve from within. Our top forward prospects are currently: Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder, and Rodin. Probably the two most likely to get a shot when we are fully healthy is Jensen and Kassian. Schroeder while Kesler is out.

Here are my lines when Kesler is healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Jensen-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Kelly-Burrows

Malhotra-Lapierre-Hansen

One of the deepest teams in the NHL. You see what's happening in the SCF right now. Both teams don't even care about matching lines or anything, it's just pure rolling of all lines, 1-4 and even the D lines. The Kings have size on all lines, especially their top 6, this lineup has that as well.

Again, this will only work if Jensen and Kassian can take on that top 6 role, and I feel they can. A healthy Kesler can thrive off this line, and make his linemates better. Every member on that 2nd line is 6 foot 2 and above. I have David Booth playing with the twins because i feel that's where he can be his best. Driving to the net and using his size and strength to make room for the twins. Give Booth a couple months and that line will be a nightmare for opponents.

As for Our D, it needs a couple pieces. Hopefully we get a roster Defencemen that is top 4 from the Lu trade or we sign a guy like Jason Garrison or Justin Schultz.

This is a lineup that gives us scoring in every line, grit on every line, and size on every line. If we improve by giving our youth a chance, I like our chances in the playoffs next year.

The lines as of right now:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - ????

Higgins - ???? - Hansen

Kassian - Lapierre - Malhotra

Edler - ????

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - ????

????

????

What I came up with:

Sedin - Sedin - Yakupov

JVR - Kesler - Forsberg

Burrows - Pahlsson - Higgins

Kassian - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - Garrison

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Tanev - Allen

Schneider

Lack

Burrows needs to get off the top line - he's just not big, physical and mean enough. I'm sitting here watching the Cup finals being played out by giants up front so if we're going to stick with the Sedins on our top line, they need a beast to play with, not someone like Burrows who may be great at aggitating, but isn't big enough to physically assert himself.

Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Penner, Carter, Zubrus, and Ponikarovsky are half of the top-6 forwards in the Finals right now and they are all towers up front (averaging around 6'3").

The rest of the top-6 forwards like Brown, Parise, Zajac and Richards may not be as tall, but they play hard, physical games.

Rounding out the top-6 forwards are guys like Williams and Elias who are skilled and bring plenty else to the table.

So basically you've got half of each team's top-6 to be giants above 6'2"(who are also quite skilled), then 2 players who are average height but play a very hard, physical game, and just 1 player on each team who is purely skilled.

Now look at the Canuck's top-6.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows: That's 2 purely skilled players and 1 player who fits into the hard-nose type of game, but not very big.

Booth - Kesler - Higgins: That's 3 players who all fit into the hard-nosed type of game but are not very big.

What we clearly need is size up front - we are lacking any sort of giant in our top-6 who we can rely on to play hard minutes in the playoffs. However, we do have these pieces. Jensen is quite big, especially for his age, and is also skilled akin to Jeff Carter. Bitz is our biggest weapon, he's showed he can play comfortably with skilled players and was the biggest factor in reigniting the Sedins with his skilled plays. Kassian is huge as well.

Here's what I hope to see next season just before the playoffs come around. It won't take many roster changes, just a lot of internal development and solid training to get guys like Kassian, Bitz and Jensen to where they need to be. Basically we need these guys all in our top-9 at least. The Kings have 1 giant on each of their lines, Boston had beasts throughout their lineup, this is what it takes to win nowadays.

Sedin - Sedin - Bitz : Say what you want, Byron Bitz is not a 4th liner. He and the Sedins scored 3 of the prettiest goals of the season in just 4 periods of playing together. He is our biggest forward, a mean net presence and plays a tight cycle around the net which is what you need in the playoffs. We've seen guys like Kesler and the Sedins be injured by bigger defencemen before, but not many are big enough to rough up Bitz. He is built for the playoffs.

Booth - Kesler - Kassian : Give him a season and strong off-season to develop and Kassian can turn into a physical presence on this line to leave Kesler and Booth to do the scoring. We don't need them running around hitting in the playoffs because it clearly takes a toll on their bodies as we saw in the 2011 run. Dustin Brown is going through the same pains right now - he has worn himself out in the first 3 rounds and is now one of the most useless Kings players. Kassian relieves Kesler of his hitting duties.

Higgins - Lapierre - Burrows : Probably the best forechecking line in the NHL, which is proving to be ever important in the playoffs to keep the pressure on. Lappy and Burrows have proven French-Canadian chemistry, and Higgins and Lapierre have shown flashes from their time together in Montreal when playing together. This may be the only line without a giant up, but they are all hard-nosed playoff clutch performers who will step up when it counts.

Jensen - Malhotra - Hansen : Hansen will be getting better and better, and this line is the perfect combination of size, skill, youth and experience along with great speed and forechecking. 4th lines are often the most important come playoff time in the Cup finals and young legs are needed the most then when our top guys are playing injured. The last 2 seasons our 4th lines have not come through for us, meanwhile the Kings and Devils' 4th liners are scoring key goals to keep them advancing.

Sure, this lineup won't get us very far in the regular season when skill is the most important factor and powerplays are numerous, but this lineup is playoff-perfect with the exact mix of size, skill and speed on each line. Basically, it is what the Kings have - a team that will struggle in the regular season, but come playoff time this mix of size and skill dominates any other team.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Ray Whitney ($3.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Chris Kelly ($2.125m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Brandon Prust ($1.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

DEFENSEMEN

Jason Garrison ($3.675m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.645m)

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,448,333; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $4,851,667

yes. ray whitney. and yes, keep the tandem. have jensen pop in sporadically and swap for kassian, depending on performance. this lineup is affordable.

booth sedin burrows

sedin kesler kassian

higgins Colborne jensen

malholtra lapierre hansen/bitz

edler schultz

hamhuis bieksa

gragnani schenn

Schneider

Backup

split the 2 best playmakers on the team in the Sedins up to balance out the skill/size for both lines.

Booth and kesler both have a playmaker now and burrows is one of our best snipers so he plays with hank and kassian can create space for danny and kes.

Jensen already has nhl size and speed. He cannot play in the ahl next year and keeping him in the chl for another year seems counter productive at this point. Colborne we get in Luongo deal.

Schultz is that puckmover that edler needs like erhoff was. Schenn is a big body and a hitting machine that we acquire from leafs in luongo deal and he's paired with a puckmover in gragnani.

Schneids is schneids

Lack should spend at least another year in the AHL. He's only had 1 full season in the ahl and since goaltending is the hardest position to master, he should keep plugging away in the AHL like Schneider did.

Yeah exactly. Schroeder was great in his first short stint when he joined the Moose 2 years ago after his college season was over and then he regressed the following year when he played a full year. So unless Jensen puts up those numbers over an extended period, I'm not going to get overly excited. He's still super young and needs more time developing and as you said, there really is no need to rush him. He's not going to come in and be our savior.

Thats not what Detroit does at all.

Look and see how many games in Adirondack were played by Federov, McCarty, Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Holmstrom... And those are just the legends, look at Abdelkader, Filppula, Franzen, Kronwall. Most have a handful of games in the minors at the most.

Most of these guys, especially the legends, were thrown in from 18 to 21, and swan not sunk.

That Detroit grooms everybody for years is B.S., a big myth! They just go all in when they have a good talent.

This exactly, we should have him play in the AHL next season. Then after that have him play in the AHL, but call him up from time to time. Kind of like what Detroit does with their prospects and what we have been doing since MG got here.

I have been thinking and saying the same thing for the past 2-3 years. We need a 4 line team. We use all 4 lines until we are in the post-season. Thats when we turn into a weak 3 line team. Depth is what wins cups, the past few stanley cup winners rolled all 4 lines, we don't. Too much pressure on our top 6. What i think we should do is the following:

Line 1 - scoring line

Line 2 - scoring line

Line 3 - checking line (with offensive upside)

Line 4 - youth/energy line

Our line 4 can go from a line that is out there to hit to a line that could be our top 6 in the future. Young players really do put in good energy for the team. I am not saying put our best prospects or players that aren't ready there but get a line that is more offesnively aware than one that just runs out there hitting while have no chance of scoring cause the players aren't good enough...

Sorry this is a bit long.

Suggestion 1:

Assuming Kassian makes the team, I'd try a longer-term experiment with him or Bitz with the Sedins

Sedin Sedin Kassian/Bitz

Burrows Kesler Hansen **(this would be a pain to play against)

Booth Schroeder Kassian/Bitz

Lappy Manny Higgins

-Scoring Line against opp. L3

-Shutdown/Counterattack (troll) against opp. L1

-Scoring Line against opp. L4

-Shutdown/Energy line against opp. L2

or in the spirit of experimenting (and my personal favorite)

Suggestion 2:

Sedin Kesler Kassian

Booth Sedin Bitz

Burrows Schroeder Hansen

Lappy Manny Higgins

I really wish they'd try to split the Sedins over a longer period. Not as some knee-jerk reaction to

temporarily break them out of a slump. They both have a particular skill set.

They're cerebral players, see the ice and distribute the puck VERY well.

Our team isn't stacked with offensive talent.

AV's system of having the D push the pace, the # of Sedin offensive-zone starts,

and dependancy on our PP, really overstate our forwards' offensive ability.

I think rather than maximize their capabilities together, they should SEPARATELY

maximize the strengths of their respective linemates.

Instead of an excellent top line and a good second line, we simply have two very good top lines.

This is good for the development of the twins (yes, you can still improve).

-Kes gets his playmaker in Daniel (yes, he passes the puck real well)

-Hank gets more responsibility in having to carry his line. He might even opt to shoot the puck a bit

more. (He is our captain after all)

-Burrows brings more offense to the third line, while fitting a checking role to a tee.

-This fourth line is more than capable, could be a third line for many teams

-This way, the Sedins get to work on their two way play. I don't care what anyone says, when your two

best players are a liability defensively, you have a bit of a problem. Compounded when they play on the same line. No more easy offensive zone starts.

-This injects more size and agression in two the top 6. (Is the difference between Higgins/Burrows and Bitz/Kassian THAT significant?)

***again, a huge assumption is that Kassian/Schroeder are ready to make the team.

To everyone saying Jensen should stay in the AHL next year -STOP SAYING THIS.

He CANNOT play in the AHL next year as he wont be 20 until march 6 2013. He could play in the playoffs for the wolves because the generals were out of the CHL playoffs.

It's the NHL or back to the CHL for Jensen. Those are your armchair GM options.

Personally I would like to see him crack the club. Move him up and down the lineup as needed and switch him and Kass out to try and get some competition between them for a regular spot. Junior wont help him much anymore IMO.

First of all, I totally disagree with those saying Jensen's not ready. His maturity level is above average, his offensive ability is there. He is smart with the puck, making few mistakes. I think he belongs on the second line, where his skills can be tested to max potential. The only thing I would like to see is is for him to get to 200 lbs. The added size would help him in the physical department.

I believe Kesler should come back on the third line. Higgins Kes and Hansen would make a pretty formidable third line for any team to deal with not to mention the fact that it creates yet another effective scoring line.

This creates a need for a second line center. I think Jensen starts on the left wing with a fresh face on the right side.

Our fourth line is not effective enough as it is and needs to be re-tooled as well.

Line up after deals and signings ( yes, I think we have the pieces to make this happen ).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Jensen - Getzlaf - Lupul

Higgy - Kesler - Hansen

Prust - Gaustad - Kassian

Malhotra, LaPierre

Edler - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Wideman

Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Lack

This line up is based on the cap going up to $70,000,000. It would put us close to the cap but is a solid line up. I know it's not gonna happen but it would be sweet.

Archived