The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A More Rounded Set of Lines

RyanKeslord17

To everyone saying Jensen should stay in the AHL next year -STOP SAYING THIS.

He CANNOT play in the AHL next year as he wont be 20 until march 6 2013. He could play in the playoffs for the wolves because the generals were out of the CHL playoffs.

It's the NHL or back to the CHL for Jensen. Those are your armchair GM options.

Personally I would like to see him crack the club. Move him up and down the lineup as needed and switch him and Kass out to try and get some competition between them for a regular spot. Junior wont help him much anymore IMO.

The only way to truly balance the lines is to split the Sedins and reduce the absurd offensive zone starts of the first line. I'd say simply reduce the offensive zone starts but the sedins together create a subpar defensive line.

Splitting the Sedin's offensive attack between the two top lines:

1) Provides a playmaker for both lines, and forces Kesler to play a more team oriented offensive game. This has been a problem for the 2nd line for some time. Kesler, Booth, and whoever the 6th top 6 forward ends up being would all be forced to play with more accountability for their offensive decisions. The Sedins require a passing game to succeed so they create one. The other players will fall in line and develop that aspect.

2) Makes the top line a faster and more aggressive unit. Neither Sedin is physical on the forecheck or agressive at the top of the defensive zone. This is likely because of their lack of speed making them concerned about getting beat one on one for a walk into the high slot. Having only one player with this tendency on a line reduces the potentiality for the top line being hemmed in their own zone chasing the puck against physical teams.

3) Makes Henrik more aggressive with the puck and essentially makes him a less predictable a player. The same could potentially be the case with Daniel. It forces them into unfamiliar situations and forces them to become more diverse players. While it hides some of their defensive deficiencies with more aggressive teammates, it forces them to play in more defensive situations (less offensive zone starts) so they can improve those deficiencies.

4) Creates a more difficult matchup to teams with top defensive pairings that can prepare and study for the Sedins. This can also provide a little flexibility to get the Sedins on the ice at the sametime against favorable matchups by double-shifting one of them at opportune times.

The team has to be coached so that the players are their best for the playoffs. Maximizing the Sedins offensive zone starts throughout the season gets us nowhere.

Jensen and Kassian deserve every chance to play. Overall, I thinks that they should sacrifice regular season points and have the younger players develop. We know what Kesler and the Sedins have to offer. Play to develop the team and have the stars healthy. Players like Kesler don't need to play 20+ minutes during the regular season.

I was just thinking, really the Canucks do no need any huge changes, they don't need any in fact. Sure we should definetely sign a couple UFA's to fill some voids, but other than that, we still have the same core that took us to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

This line up will obviously only work if we have the ability to improve from within. Our top forward prospects are currently: Jensen, Kassian, Schroeder, and Rodin. Probably the two most likely to get a shot when we are fully healthy is Jensen and Kassian. Schroeder while Kesler is out.

Here are my lines when Kesler is healthy:

Sedin-Sedin-Booth

Jensen-Kesler-Kassian

Higgins-Kelly-Burrows

Malhotra-Lapierre-Hansen

One of the deepest teams in the NHL. You see what's happening in the SCF right now. Both teams don't even care about matching lines or anything, it's just pure rolling of all lines, 1-4 and even the D lines. The Kings have size on all lines, especially their top 6, this lineup has that as well.

Again, this will only work if Jensen and Kassian can take on that top 6 role, and I feel they can. A healthy Kesler can thrive off this line, and make his linemates better. Every member on that 2nd line is 6 foot 2 and above. I have David Booth playing with the twins because i feel that's where he can be his best. Driving to the net and using his size and strength to make room for the twins. Give Booth a couple months and that line will be a nightmare for opponents.

As for Our D, it needs a couple pieces. Hopefully we get a roster Defencemen that is top 4 from the Lu trade or we sign a guy like Jason Garrison or Justin Schultz.

This is a lineup that gives us scoring in every line, grit on every line, and size on every line. If we improve by giving our youth a chance, I like our chances in the playoffs next year.

Jensen and Kassian deserve every chance to play. Overall, I thinks that they should sacrifice regular season points and have the younger players develop. We know what Kesler and the Sedins have to offer. Play to develop the team and have the stars healthy. Players like Kesler don't need to play 20+ minutes during the regular season.

Before suggesting lineup changes to fill supposed needs, let's think about why the team lost. To me, several things stand out.

1) Lack of defense - the defense was nowhere near sharp enough to win. Consider that we gave up 3 shorties. And our turnovers cost us at crucial moments during games.

2) Secondary scoring - if we had been able to pot a few more behind Quick, those glaring mistakes on D won't hurt so bad. But we were missing Danny and our PP was horrendous in games 1 to 3 which pretty much sealed our fate.

3) LA Kings were hot - Last but not least, some credit has to go to a team that cruised 15-2 all the way to the SC Finals. Sure we are all homers, but would you even predict the repeat president's-trophy-winner Nucks doing the same before the playoffs started? It's some feat to do that and whatever Darryl is doing, he's obviously pushed the right buttons and has the team playing textbook hockey to a tee.

Before the playoffs started, some may have looked at LA and say they are a one-line team that has to ride on solid play by Quick in order to win. Sure they got Brown, Carter, Richards, Kopitar, Penner and Doughty, but you may have considered most of these players overpaid and overrated if you looked at their regular season performance. Against Sedinery and beast-mode Kesler along with our "depth" and goaltender tandem, you'd say Nucks in 5 or Nucks in 6. But then we witness something else.

To me, the team didn't lose because they were less-skilled, they were just playing bad hockey at the worst possible time against a team that was playing so much better. At the same time, I do acknowledge that there are some thing needs to be fixed on the 2nd line and on defense. The problem is that whatever changes made on paper will only be as good as the performance the players actually put out when things matter the most. And there's also an intricate thing called team chemistry, which I'm not sure how it can be factored into all this line combos.

If there are no roster ready forward acquisitions this summer here's what I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Jansen-Higgins-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-Pinizzotto

-skilled sub

-badass sub

Pinizzotto lost the whole year but he was the most impressive 4th liner at camp and preseason. Should get another shot. If Kassian shows any ability to play with the twins he should stick. As for Burrows, call me diabolical or just plain ungrateful but it is his contract year and MG might want to assess his production sans Sedins. Higgins was great all of last year and if the infection is gone for good I'm expecting great things from him. Can even sub for Kesler early in the season (contract year as well).

If there are no roster ready forward acquisitions this summer here's what I want to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Jansen-Higgins-Hansen

Malhotra-Lapierre-Pinizzotto

-skilled sub

-badass sub

Pinizzotto lost the whole year but he was the most impressive 4th liner at camp and preseason. Should get another shot. If Kassian shows any ability to play with the twins he should stick. As for Burrows, call me diabolical or just plain ungrateful but it is his contract year and MG might want to assess his production sans Sedins. Higgins was great all of last year and if the infection is gone for good I'm expecting great things from him. Can even sub for Kesler early in the season (contract year as well).

A more rounded set of lines.

Just need to train different. Donoughts and beer for everyone. Lots of high cholesterol fatty foods. The average player should be able to eat a 7-8000 calorie daily diet and gain half their weight again in a good long summer. Especially as the players are in really good shape, the metrics work out at least to a 1.5 gain on their current weight.

But the real question, how round will they be? It will vary between the players, maybe balance the lines and put ye heavier guys with the skinnier guys

Archived