The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] SJS - DET Brad Stuart Rights To The Sharks

Well we don't know what the new CBA will contain so it's up in the air as to whether he'll be able to do that.

They have the cap space to sign him for the rest of his career, no doubt. But to think that a player only considers money when signing a deal is silly. I'm sure he'll have more than one team on his list that will be able to offer him the same amount and give him just as good of a chance to win.

If I'm Suter I'm looking to sign with a team that still has a long window to win the cup. And IMO there's alot of uncertainty in Detorit now with the retiring of Lidstrom and Holmstrom, that they could well be headed for a rebuild. Unless they're going to sign all the free agents this summer...

Holland isn't stupid. He's not going to build his team July 1st. That's how you get stuck with a bunch of terrible contracts.

Detroit is headed for a mini rebuild if they're smart. You don't lose a player like Lidstrom and think you can just carry on the way they have been.

Luckily they have a great knack for finding talented players so the rebuild won't be long. But if I'm a UFA I see alot of teams that give me a better chance to win a cup in the next few seasons than Detroit.

I think Suter is going to replace Lidstrom a lot more seamlessly than people think. I'm not saying he can be that good. But can he be as good as Lidstrom was this year? I think so. Can he put up way more points than he has, playing in Detroit? I think so. Can he be recognized as the game-controlling #1 defenseman he is and become a perennial Norris candidate? I think so! Suter will sign in Detroit, set career highs in his first season there and win more than one Norris.

"Not everyone wants to be a Red Wing"? Yeah right.

Holland isn't stupid. He's not going to build his team July 1st. That's how you get stuck with a bunch of terrible contracts.

Detroit is headed for a mini rebuild if they're smart. You don't lose a player like Lidstrom and think you can just carry on the way they have been.

Luckily they have a great knack for finding talented players so the rebuild won't be long. But if I'm a UFA I see alot of teams that give me a better chance to win a cup in the next few seasons than Detroit.

Even if he signs them each to 10 year $75 million contracts they would never be terrible contracts for players of their quality.

Signing those two, with the additions of Brendan Smith and Tomas Tatar would be enough of a 'mini rebuild' as you put it.

A better shot at the cup than?:

Filppula-Datsyuk-Parise

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Franzen

Cleary-Hudler-Abdelkader

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Mursak, Tatar, Emmerton

Suter-Kronwall

Quincey-White

Ericsson-Smith

Kindl

Howard

Maybe a few teams are better, and that's debatable, but not many. Plus they'd still have a few million dollars to add to this line-up.

Oh, so now they're a lock to get Parise too?

When does a team ever get the two best free agents? You seem to be acting like free agent players are Detroit's for the taking because they have cap space. There's 29 other teams with enough cap space to sign either of these players. Alot of them that have better teams than Detroit right now.

Plus that loophole may be closed in the new CBA. So signing 28 year old players to 10 year contracts likely won't be possible.

I've never said they were a lock to get either player and I'm not 'acting' like anything.

I'm simply pointing out the fact that Detroit could sign both, are an attractive destination, and have a solid core to add them too.

You are the one suggesting that it would be foolish and impossible for them to get both of the premier UFAs, which is no more true than anyone suggesting otherwise.

Who has the cap space that is a better team than Detroit? Name them. There certainly aren't 29 of them. That's the stupidest statement in this thread.

This deal reminds me of the Ehrhoff deal, because SJ is easily the winner of this trade. Is anyone else upset that MG didn't make an offer for him? Doesn't seem like the SJ offer would have been hard to beat, so if he had offered something decent, he would have likely beaten out SJ for Stuart.

This deal reminds me of the Ehrhoff deal, because SJ is easily the winner of this trade. Is anyone else upset that MG didn't make an offer for him? Doesn't seem like the SJ offer would have been hard to beat, so if he had offered something decent, he would have likely beaten out SJ for Stuart.

Every team will have cap space with the cap likely going up 5 million. Did I say there were 29 of them? I said there were alot.

Boston

Chicago

LA

New York

Philadelphia (possibly if Pronger retires)

Pittsburgh

Vancouver

All of these teams are better than Detroit at the moment and have enough cap space to sign Suter. And that doesn't even consider the possibilty of trades to free up even more cap space.

You reference the new CBA in another post as a reason why Detroit couldn't ink both players but then state that the cap is likely to go up now? Those two things are irreconcilable and it is ridiculous to make expectations about a legal document yet to be negotiated or agreed upon by either party. As it stands right now Detroit has the most cap space of any of the top tier teams. They also have what is widely considered to have the best management/coach combination in the league, attractive to many UFAs.

Detroit, as opposed to these other teams, don't have to trade a single player, to fit them both in under the current cap status quo.

I didn't say the new CBA is why they couldn't sign both players, I said that it's the reason why we won't see 10 year contracts given out to 28 year old players. I clearly stated that they have the cap space to sign both if they wanted to. Does that mean they're going to? No.

And of course I can't be certain about what the new CBA will contain. But I can say that many have believed in the past that this loophole will be closed in the new CBA. They already scaled it back once before the CBA was up. And even if they don't change it, no GM is going to hand out one of those contracts knowing that it could very well be reviewed in the future much like the Kavalchuk one.

It doesn't matter if Detroit had 50 million in cap space, a team only needs 7.5-8 million in cap space to sign him. And like I said, there are several top teams that are able to sign him. And I didn't even include Nashville, which is still a possibility for him.

So basically, your argument for why they won't sign either player, or both, is just as speculative as anyone else's and your reasons are no more logical or based on fact than theirs?

Good, got it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Again you're having a hard time reading. I never said they wouldn't sign him, I said there are many other factors involved in signing a player other than having more cap space than other contedning teams. And there is going to be more than a couple teams pushing hard to sign him.

All I was saying is that he's nowehere near a lock to sign with Detroit.

And all you have to do is look at the history of free agency to see that a team never walks away with both top free agents. And typically the UFA's never end up where people think they will.

The reality is, neither of them are locks to even reach free agency. So at this point, for all we know they could both re-sign with their respective teams and make this all meaningless.

Archived