The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] SJS - DET Brad Stuart Rights To The Sharks

I'm not having a hard time reading, I'm taking exception to your suggestion that Holland going after the top 2 UFAs would be 'stupid.'

Of course they may not make it to UFA but it seems just as likely they both will as not.

Let's look at the facts objectively:

1) Detroit just lost Lidstrom to retirement and traded Stuart's rights.

2) They will need to add a defenseman, which they obviously plan to do after trading Stuart, and are able to do so through UFA without subtracting from their line-up or prospect pool.

3) They have ample cap space to go after the best UFA d-man in the league if they so desire.

4) They are an attractive destination for FAs.

5) They will also have enough cap to go after the top end offensive UFAs available.

6) They have a great core, great coaching and management, and a winning history.

They are just as likely to sign either of these players especially Suter, or possibly both, as any team in the league. It is not ridiculous to raise as a possibility as you suggest.

Yea, but Detroit's needs have nothing to do with what Suter's wants are necessarily. He doesn't have to sign with Detroit because they need a defenceman to replace Lidstrom. Those are big shoes to fill, and for all we know that alone would turn Suter away from Detroit.

He's likely going to sign with a team that offers him both a good salary and term, a good chance to win, a good place to live, and an organization that is comitted to winning. Of course Detroit has all of those things, but so do alot of other teams. It's going to be up to GM's to sell him on those points, and ultimately it will be up to him based on what's best for his career and his family.

The fact that people are already penciling him into Detroit's lineup is what I took exception to. Again, I never said they wouldn't sign both players, or that it would be stupid. I don't think any team in the league would not want both these players on their teams. I'm saying the liklihood of it is not high, because there are a million other factors that come into it other than which team has the most cap space.

I would say the possibility of Detroit getting both Parise and Suter are on about the same level as us getting Parise and trading for Weber.

So you're one of those people huh? You don't have anything to argue so you'll just go back and try and catch me contradicting myself?

I've fallen into that trap arguing with Rey before. I'm not gonna waste my time doing it with you.

I stand by my points, I don't see Detroit as being a team that builds their team on July 1st. I think it would be stupid to count on getting both of them at reasonable cap hits.

If they can, of course they would. But I really don't see it happening. That's not part of Detroit's philosophy.

It is speculation but there have been enough rumours that Suter and Parise want to play together.With all that smoke I'm guessing there is a little fire there. It's still not likely as the cup run has revitalized the Devils but it has also helped Zach and his next contract a lot! he's really good and everyone is seeing how good now.

I'm also thinking that Detroit has done Stuart a favour by moving him to the Sharks. That appears to be where he wants to go and the Wings add some small pieces in return for doing it. I'm guessing that deal gets done soon.

Good get for the Sharks if they can get him signed. Their D will be huge next season but Niemi is flaky at best so the D will have to be extremely good if they're to beat out the Kings for the Pacific (assuming the NHLPA remains firm on realignment).

It would appear Suter is headed to the Wings but I dont necessarily think this makes the Wings a contender again. Lidstrom is a massive loss in so many areas, not just on the back end. There are some quality guys there to help make up his leadership but I don't think this will be like when Yzerman retired. Lidstrom will leave a massive hole in many areas and although Suter will soften the blow (if he signs there) they will still need more considerable pieces in order to contend. The likes of Zetterberg, Bertuzzi, Datsyuk, Franzen & Holmstrom aren't getting younger & don't have improvement in them.

If they signed a Parise as well for instance.....

Brad Stuart is exactly the type of player the Canucks needed, and the type of player who thrives in the playoffs. We need more guys who are strong, physical in front of their own net and good at grinding down forwards like Brad Stuart, and less free-wheeling, weak, fragile excuses for a defenceman like Ballard, Tanev and Bieksa.

Why is it all but guaranteed that Suter will sign in Detroit?

He has no ties to Detroit. Just because they have a ton of cap space doesn't mean Holland will offer him whatever he wants.

It's up to the player where they are going to sign. I'm sure Detroit would love to sign him, but it's far from a guarantee that he'll sign there. Not everyone wants to play for the Red Wings believe it or not.

This deal reminds me of the Ehrhoff deal, because SJ is easily the winner of this trade. Is anyone else upset that MG didn't make an offer for him? Doesn't seem like the SJ offer would have been hard to beat, so if he had offered something decent, he would have likely beaten out SJ for Stuart.

Archived