The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Crosby may sign 10 year $90 mil contract

http://www.pensburgh.com/2012/6/10/3076482/report-sidney-crosby-and-penguins-targeting-a-10-year-90-million

PensBurgh - An unofficial Pittsburgh Penguins blog for Pittsburgh Penguins fans

HomeFanPostsFanShotsArchivesPenguinsScheduleRosterStatsTicketsVideo

Report: Sidney Crosby and Penguins Targeting a 10 year, $90 million extension soon after July 1?

by Hooks Orpik on Jun 10, 2012 12:11 PM EDT

12 COMMENTS EMAIL PRINT

Jamie Sabau - Getty Images

This summer these two men will be having a press conference for a happy reason, for a change.

Everyone's got an opinion or nugget on the Sidney Crosby contact bonanza that is scheduled to begin on July 1st, the official date when Camp Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins can first talk about an extension. No one much expects issues, as Crosby has said in the past that he is interested in staying in Pittsburgh, and concussion history aside, the Penguins will be happy to keep the face of the game and best player in the sport in their jersey for years to come.

So now, the big question is about price and how much risk the Penguins will undertake. Crosby has only played 28 games since January 2011 and had to undergo several frustrating and difficult setbacks to achieve the proper health to play a contact sport like hockey.

And while negotiations aren't really allowed to start yet, it's probably natural that the two sides have floated some informal information back and forth about each other's ideas and desires. James Mirtle, reputable journalist out Toronto, tweeted about what Elliotte Friedman said on TV:

"So @FriedgeHNIC reports on Satellite Hotstove Crosby will likely get something close to 10-year deal near July 1. Could be $9-million cap hit."

We'll see if there's any truth to the chatter. The rumor mill has seemed to put out most reports that say Crosby is seeking a longer-term deal this time around, longer than the five year extension he signed in 2007 and kicked in in 2008.

For the team, there is financial risk at giving so much guaranteed money to a player with a shaky injury history. But let's be real, Sidney Crosby is virtually a license to print money. The Pens can easily, from a business perspective, justify investing $90 million (or whatever the contract will be) on the game's best and most marketable player.

And, while everyone hopes the worst is beyond Crosby for his concussion issues, the Penguins have been down the road of having an ailing super-star center with unknown availability- when you think back to the 1990's when Mario Lemieux's back, cancer and other significant ailments would render him out of the lineup for sometimes seasons at a time. Again, it'd be better not to go down that road again, but obviously if you have a chance to sign such a talent, you figure out ways to work around issues.

By the way, the salary cap is tentatively set for $70 million next season- with the brewing storm of a CBA negotiation almost certain to change that- but under current protocol, the maximum salary is 20% of the upper limit. Twenty percent of 70 million is $14 million, so if Crosby does agree to a long-term deal at around his current $8.7 million cap hit, it will represent significant savings for the team and could be helpful on future contracts in order to "set the bar" for Evgeni Malkin, Jordan Staal and Kris Letang.

12 comments  |  Add comment  |  0 recs  | 

Do you like this story?

More from PensBurgh

Season in Review: Marc-Andre Fleury

Jun 2012 by Hooks Orpik - 58 comments

Season in Review: Deryk Engelland

Jun 2012 by Hooks Orpik - 19 comments

Season in Review: Pascal Dupuis

Jun 2012 by Hooks Orpik - 12 comments

Season in Review: Arron Asham

May 2012 by Hooks Orpik - 18 comments

Season in Review: Craig Adams

May 2012 by Hooks Orpik - 31 comments

Pittsburgh Penguins, Assemble!

May 2012 by LauraZ - 8 comments

Around SB Nation

Steven Stamkos is a 2012 Hart Trophy finalist

Apr 2012 from Raw Charge - 10 comments

Hal Gill's Good To Go: Friday afternoon notes

Apr 2012 from On the Forecheck - 21 comments

Tuesdays with Dani: On potential goaltenders

May 2012 from Raw Charge - 9 comments

Playoff Open Thread May 1

May 2012 from Canes Country - 3 comments

Bits: Islanders in Action and in the Tabloids

May 2012 from Lighthouse Hockey - 44 comments

Read More: Jordan Staal (C - PIT), Kris Letang (D - PIT), Evgeni Malkin (C - PIT), Sidney Crosby (C - PIT), Pittsburgh Penguins

Comments

Display:

If I’m the Pens I would sign this deal as fast as the papers can be printed up.

Season tickets, jersey sales, TV ratings, and making Pittsburgh a prime UFA destination all justify the cost even though he is an injury risk.

But rumors are just rumors, I’ll wait and see for now what happens.

by jedmiller71 on Jun 10, 2012 1:02 PM EDT via mobile reply  

Pittsburgh is lucky to have a captain as understanding and wise. Getting a very small raise in salary and still allowing the organization to go and sign the other core members of your team is something that most teams do not have. Ovi took the max and look at how that team is going. Crosby took a page out of Detroits book and look at how Detroit has been for so many years. Lets face it, Crosby doesn’t need the money. But what Crosby does need Stanley Cups. Every player in the NHL wants one. He already has one. But that is not enough. He wants a Cup every year. Pittsburgh is Cup contenders every year since Crosby was drafted. Signing Vokoun shows Pittsburgh is ready to take the NHL over once again. Crosby at 9 mil cap hit, Staal at 5.5 mil cap hit, Geno at 9 mil cap hit and Letang at 5.5 mil cap hit the Penguins will be at the Max Cap but thats where they should be every year. Look at the roster and does anyone have what they do, the answer is NO. Go Pens Go.

by nater97 on Jun 10, 2012 1:30 PM EDT reply  

While I agree with most of what you said, I just don’t like the idea of givin Malkin the same amount as Crosby. He should be jus a little under Crosby. That’s my opinion at least.

by xaryss on Jun 10, 2012 1:41 PM EDT via mobile up reply  

Ok

Then Geno gets 10 yrs and $89.5 million if Sid gets 10 and 90.

by HandsofSweed on Jun 10, 2012 2:30 PM EDT up reply  

Eh.

I don’t mind it that badly, but I really don’t think we should do this right away. Wait until the new CBA gets passed, and see how the salary cap rules with respect to LTIR change, if they do at all – because I feel almost certain that Sid will wind up there at least once in the next ten years. That said, I wouldn’t be unhappy if this happens on July 1st; just a little uneasy.

Hard work always beats talent if talent doesn't work hard.

"Matt Cooke and Evgeni Malkin for Brian Boyle, Derek Stepan, Brandon Dubinsky, Mike Rupp, and a first round pick." -JackCampbell

How many brooks would a Brooks Laich like if a Brooks Laich could like brooks?

You can find even more of my genius wit on my Twitter!

by wg1of5 on Jun 10, 2012 4:54 PM EDT reply  

Give Sid whatever he wants. He is the FRANCHISE PLAYER, if there is one. The others are not in the same category. So other players will have to deal below that bar not above.

The Hockey Dr.

by Outcast on Jun 10, 2012 6:44 PM EDT reply  

I still think, despite this rumor, we’re going to lose Staal, which breaks my heart.

"Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." -Jack Falla

Twitter Facebook Tumblr

by AlexStitch on Jun 10, 2012 7:46 PM EDT reply  

Staal

Why would the team lose Staal when they have this much cap space?

IF, for some unknown reason, cap space turns out to be an issue why wouldn’t the Pens move Martin instead?

Their organizational depth is at D.

And they are chronically in need of Top 6 Forwards.

Extend Jordan Staal

SBN Fantasy Hockey Blog: Fantasy Hockey Scouts

by Diomedes7 on Jun 10, 2012 8:43 PM EDT up reply  

Why would the team lose Staal when they have this much cap space?

Because the rules of the cap are likely to drastically change with the new CBA.

Pensburgh

"You come at the King, you best not miss."

by Hooks Orpik on Jun 10, 2012 9:59 PM EDT up reply  

Does that mean that the rumored $9M for Crosby is a bad deal?

9 out of 70 is about 13% — pretty reasonable.

but if the cap is going down a lot, maybe that’s not so great…?

In any event, I don’t see why they wouldn’t just move Martin and his $5M/year

The difference in value to the team b/w Martin and Staal is a y a w n i n g chasm

SBN Fantasy Hockey Blog: Fantasy Hockey Scouts

by Diomedes7 on Jun 10, 2012 11:32 PM EDT up reply  

Here is how the negotiations should go:

Shero: Hey sid, how much would you like to make in your next contract?

Crosby: Hmmmmmm, well I got endorsements coming outta my ass so how bout a small pay raise. Just make it an even 9

Shero: How bout the years?

Crosby: hahahaha, i dunno, ten?

Shero: Done

Brisson: ya, that’s cool

Certified fan of Pittsburgh sports and Oregon sports.....and the nationals....

by NoVAPensFan on Jun 10, 2012 9:17 PM EDT reply  

for some odd reason i pretty much see this as how the negotiations actually go lol. well maybe not quite exactly, but pretty loose around the collar haha

Thats what she said! - Michael Gary Scott

by C Shint on Jun 10, 2012 9:40 PM EDT up reply  

Something to say? Choose one of these options to log in.

» Create a new SB Nation account

» Already registered with SB Nation? Log in!

↑ Top of comments ↑ Top of page ↑ Stories ↑ PensBurgh ↑ SB Nation

When Sid steps on the ice he's instantly the best player on either team - hence, I'd say he'd be worth every penny of that contract (if it is indeed an accurate estimate of his next contract). Whether or not he's fully recovered from his concussion injury is irrelevant because his salary doesn't count against the Pens cap when he's not playing. One thing it will do however, is set a bar on both the Pens roster (think what Malkin will want on his next contract - right now the two stars make the exact same money) and throughout the league - think what this will create in the form of a 'ripple effect' in the league. Guys like Teows, Stamkos, Nugent-Hopkins, etc....won't get that kind of money (maybe Stamkos perhaps) but they will be asking for a percentage of what Crosby makes. If the league has a work disruption this fall it could (I emphasize could) have a negative effect throughout the league and revenues could drop leading to a drop in the cap. This is what got the league in trouble before.

Archived