The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Henrik Samuelsson Makes His Mark In Finals Craig's List Ranking

Henrik Samuelsson could be a name to look out for at this month's NHL draft.

The big winger vaulted into the Top 30 - from 54th to 29th - with an impressive playoff run for the final TSN.ca draft ranking of the season by TSN Scout Craig Button.

Samuelsson, the son of former NHL defenceman Ulf Samuelsson, made a huge impact with the WHL's Edmonton Oil Kings, scoring four goals and 14 points in the WHL playoffs en route to the Memorial Cup tournament. He also tallied seven goals and 23 points in 28 regular season games.

Other prospects continue to jockey for Draft Day positioning in Button's rankings as June 22 draws closer.

Winger Erik Karlsson, not to be confused with the Ottawa Senators defenceman of the same name, cracked the Top 60 list at No. 47. Karlsson scored 14 goals and 33 points in 47 games with Frolunda in Sweden this past season.

Meanwhile, the first 11 prospects in the ranking went unchanged with Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov leading the pack.

Click here at (http://www.tsn.ca/craigslist) for the full Top 60 prospect list.

Potential pick for the Nucks?

I agree, I havent seen his latest one but on his last one Matt Finn was like 8th or something, he was headed of Reinhart, Trouba and others.

And im not sure how you put Grigorenko at 20 and Murray at 13.

Personally I trust guys like Mackenzie and Dreger before him, I dont think he really knows what hes talking about alot of the time.

This sounds a lot like another Mark Scheifele story....pretty much unknown from the beginning of the season and as it got closer to the draft, his ranking shot up....though he doesn't exude the same hockey IQ like Scheifele but Samuelsson is definetly going to be a good player for a long time.

I agree, I havent seen his latest one but on his last one Matt Finn was like 8th or something, he was headed of Reinhart, Trouba and others.

And im not sure how you put Grigorenko at 20 and Murray at 13.

Personally I trust guys like Mackenzie and Dreger before him, I dont think he really knows what hes talking about alot of the time.

I was paying close attention to him during the memorial cup. I really liked what I saw, to me he looks like a cant miss role player. I could see him turning out like a Steve Ott.

He also appeared to have decent hands and play making ability so who knows what his potential could be. I'd have no problem taking a chance on him in the first round. Late firsts are a crapshoot when your targeting pure skill. At least with this guy it looks like your gettin a cant miss solid thirdliner with an edge if his scoring touch doesn't get up to NHL top six caliber. As opposed to drafting another Schroeder that's top six or bust.

I love Samuelsson and I hope the Oilers can grab him at 32nd overall. His skating is weak but that is something that actually can be improved. He has tons of heart, good hands, hits and brings it every shift. I read a quote from the Oil Kings head coach where he mentioned that sometimes during a game Samuelsson would actually come to him and ask to take a shift off because he was so worked up that he was worried he was going to hurt someone out there. I know that might sound a bit alarming but I'd much rather have to tame a young players intensity than try and get him to add that intensity to his game when it doesn't come naturally.

He's one of those prospects where he's almost a lock to find a job in the NHL because he can be put in any sort of role. His ceiling is probably a 2nd line player but if the offense doesn't translate to the NHL then he likely becomes a 3rd line/PKer. If he isn't good enough for that...he'll just bang and crash on the 4th line and add the odd goal here and there.

As for coming out of no where. He was a guy playing in the SEL. He probably shouldn't have been there. His weaknesses as a 17 year old(his skating) were being exposed by grown men on a bigger ice surface. He came to the WHL where he took a couple weeks to adjust to the new game and new country. He was still very good late in the season but he defintely picked it up in the playoffs. There were Oil Kings that may have got hotter than him for stretches but from start to finish in the playoffs, he was the team's best player. He put up 14 points in 17 games. Then the Memorial Cup came and he was basically the only forward that showed up.

I can see the Oilers picking him. Keegan Lowe is an Oil King and Samuelsson lived with them this season. Keegan's dad is obviously Kevin Lowe. So he may have the inside track.

I dislike Craig Button as much as the next guy but it should be noted that he is one of the only major media guys that called the top 8 in last years draft. Everyone laughed when he had Landeskog going 2nd, Larsson at 4th, Scheifele at 7th and Couturier at 8th. It actually happened.

I dislike Craig Button as much as the next guy but it should be noted that he is one of the only major media guys that called the top 8 in last years draft. Everyone laughed when he had Landeskog going 2nd, Larsson at 4th, Scheifele at 7th and Couturier at 8th. It actually happened.

Archived