The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dustin Penner, should we target him as a UFA?

I think this raises a really interesting point: given his post-season prominence and regular season "rather regular" play, would you really want to sign him to big bucks for several weeks/ months of potential post-season prowess when he becomes a press-box regular/ bench warmer/ overpaid 4th liner/ human torch (victim of mass flaming criticism) during many regular season games?

I think, if possible, I would pick him up a couple weeks (make that days?) before the trade deadline (hope he'd be slumping and unwanted by then). Reason being it's pointless to pick guys like him up too early, when similar guys, like Joel Ward and Sean Bergenheim have made a name elevating their game during the playoffs but don't do much for 82 long games.

During the regular season he plays like Steve Bernier, big but unmotivated and unable to log big minutes, but his style of play fits perfectly when the game slows down, turns into trench warfare and he can bull his way through the big, physical D. Of course, teams will know of his value particularly if they're contending, so hopefully he can be picked up during a particularly weak stretch.

I'll be fine with him playing on the 4th line after he comes over but I would not want to sign him as a UFA b/c that would just draw too much criticism, particularly if he fails to feed off the talents around him (my other reason for hesitance). He really reminds me of Anson Carter-- feeding off Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf as the 3rd big body on an important, playoff-winning line.

in his Cup win with the Ducks: Penner - Getzlaf - Perry

in his Cup win with the Kings: Penner - Richards - Carter

in Vancouver, the closest to this would be: Penner - Kesler - Booth/ Higgins. Oddly, I think that could work well as their size could really allow them to feed off each other, and Penner, if he moves his feet, can fend off guys trying to check him, or more likely one of Booth or Kes can drive the net and he can follow up and score (as it seems to be his style-- see the PHX series(?) winner in which he followed up and roofed it on Mike Smith).

In terms of signing, I'd do no more than 2 years, $6M (plus a chance to play with the Sedins if he's motivated) but again I'd rather buy low on him partway through the reg. season

PLAYOFF Top 9

Twins - Booth

Penner - Kes - Higgins (one advantage to DP is that he has more assists than goals so he can feed other big's down low)

Burr - Lapierre - Hansen

(Dustin can play on the 4th line in reg. season but he better not teach Kassian to be lazy too)

looks alright for the playoffs but I'm not sold on buying just b/c of his playoff performance and saving him for big game moments when he may not even step up. In short, high risk and poss. high reward

I roasted him myself, when CDC'ers proposed trading for him from both Edmonton, and L.A.

I'm a convert, admitting my mistake. The guy is a play off beast, a body who would shoulder the physical side of match ups.

He's exactly what we need, a big guy who can play both ends of the ice. Available without giving up first round picks, prospects and other assets as UFA. $5 mill would be expensive, but cheap compared to what L.A. (and Edmonton) gave up to get him.

The guy had 7 goals and was a minus 7 in the regular season. Would you really want to be 3.5 mil a year for this guy? is there a need to sign him for his so called "play off dominance"? in all honesty, he is a horrible player with no work ethic what so ever. Being an Anaheim fan i know. He would be a very very bad signing, might as well keep Raymond. Penner would get roasted in Van.

Archived