The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Unsexy, Realistic lineup proposal

I know everyone wants to sign Parise and trade for Weber, but unfortunately it's not likely to happen. I think with a few low-key moves the team could be pretty successful.

To TOR:

Roberto Luongo

To VAN:

Carl Gunnarsson

Rights to Nikolai Kulemin

To NYI:

Rights to Mason Raymond

To VAN:

2nd Round pick

To MIN:

Keith Ballard

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

Signings:

Jason Garrison- 2 year $8m

Nikolai Kulemin- 2 year $5m

Jay McClement- 1 year $1.7m

Steve Pinizotto- 1 year $600,000

Mike Duco- 1 year $605,000

MA Gragnani- 3 year $3.3m

Aaron Rome- 1 year $750,000

Antero Nittymaki- 1 year $1m

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($2.500m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Jay McClement ($1.700m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Steve Pinizzotto ($0.600m)

Mike Duco ($0.605m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.000m)

Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($1.100m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.750m)

Antero Niittymaki ($1.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,005,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $8,295,000

I really like Gunnarsson. I don't think people realize what role he plays in Toronto, he is their Hamhuis. Left side d-man who plays a shut down role against top lines every game. He technically plays 'tougher' minutes than Hamhuis - and I'd argue had a better defensive season than him (though he's not as good at shot suppression). His cap is very appealing $1.3M - though he's an RFA next summer and due for a big raise. I'd love to see him in Van, they'd have 2 quality shut down pairings (Hammer-Juice, Gunnar-Tanev).

Although he plays an important role in Tor, he's paired with another lefty (Phaneuf) - who has to play on his offside. From what I saw, Phaneuf on his offside is not a good situation. They're likely to look for a righty shut down guy to play w/ Phaneuf next yr - hopefully that'll free up Gunnar for trade bait. :)

EDIT: And I also think the value of players like Ballard and Raymond will be high this summer. Friedman stated GMs aren't happy with the UFA market, and we're likely to see a lot of players acquired via trade. When there's a limited/non-existent market, reclamation projects become valuable.

throw in a pick our way for Lu from Toronto

Raymond's rights for Latendresse's

Ballard for Harrison

agree with your signings (I'd only sign Garrison for $3.5/ season, liking the other ones though! Would you trust Lapierre for the whole season on the 3rd line though? I mean Manny did it and did well while Cody was playing protected minutes, but would u be fine with him for the whole season? Personally I'd rather have him on 4th to provide depth and get someone with a bit more offense for the 3rd)

I really like Gunnarsson. I don't think people realize what role he plays in Toronto, he is their Hamhuis. Left side d-man who plays a shut down role against top lines every game. He technically plays 'tougher' minutes than Hamhuis - and I'd argue had a better defensive season than him (though he's not as good at shot suppression). His cap is very appealing $1.3M - though he's an RFA next summer and due for a big raise. I'd love to see him in Van, they'd have 2 quality shut down pairings (Hammer-Juice, Gunnar-Tanev).

Although he plays an important role in Tor, he's paired with another lefty (Phaneuf) - who has to play on his offside. From what I saw, Phaneuf on his offside is not a good situation. They're likely to look for a righty shut down guy to play w/ Phaneuf next yr - hopefully that'll free up Gunnar for trade bait. :)

Defence is still weak, fragile and will crumble against big forwards once again.

Bitz should be in that lineup somewhere.

How many games do you expect Schneider to play? 70? If he does he won't fare well in the playoffs. I'm not sure if I trust Niitymakii with 20-30 games either. This team will do well in the regular season, probably win another President's Trophy or at least the Conference with all its skill, but will get swept in the 1st round against anyone. Those are some tiny defencemen and Schneider will be fatigued from all the playing he'll have to do - I don't like his chances in the first full season he has as a starter. Quick struggled in his first 3 seasons as the Kings top goalie, as did Rinne, in the playoffs, and Schneider will too. No goalie goes from 0 to playoff hero in 1 season.

Archived