No Scoring

2nd:

PIT: Kunitz(6), (Hornqvist, Lecavalier)

3rd:

VAN: Pahlsson(3), (Booth, Hansen)

VAN: Kesler(8), (H.Sedin, Hamhuis)

PIT: Dupuis(6), (Lecavalier, Lovejoy)

OT:

PIT: Lecavalier(4), (Hornqvist, Michalek)

Shots: Pittsburgh 27 Vancouver 44

WIN: Fleury

LOSS: Luongo

Game Review: Pittsburgh walks in the Rogers Arena and takes game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals in OT.

-Marc-Andre Fleury stood on his head especially in the 1st period stopping all 15 Canucks shots he faced. The game was scoreless up until the 15 minute mark of the 2nd period where Chris Kunitz who was just promoted to the 2nd line opened the scoring with his 6th goal of the year.

The Canucks scored goals less then 3 minutes apart early in the 3rd, only to have Pittsburgh answer right back just over a minute later to tie the game at 2. Canucks have outshot the Penguins going into OT 44-25. Fleury is the big reason why this game went to OT.

Dan Hamhuis took an interference penalty just 22 seconds into OT and Lecavalier made them pay just 1:40 into the 1st OT and the Penguins take Game 1 and steal home ice advantage.

Hornqvist, Fleury Send Pens Fans Into Frenzy With Cup Win

image_1303.img620.jpeg

"You don't always win with the best players in a group, but you are more likely to succeed with the best group of players."

"Show me a great goaltender and I'll show you a winning team."

The Pittsburgh Penguins proved these old cliches true once again as the input of lesser lights willed the team to victory against the Vancouver Canucks in 5 games, with the help of spectacular netminding by Marc-Andre Fleury. With the first line of Neal-Crosby-Malkin combining for just 6 points and effectively neutralized by the Canucks, Vincent Lecavalier (1-5) and Pascal Dupuis (4-0), stepped up and provided secondary scoring in what ended up to be five very close games throughout the series, with two going the extra mile. Patric Hornqvist, once a 7th-round afterthought, rewarded his manager who traded for him in the off-season by recording at least a point in four of the five games against Vancouver, including the game-winning goal in Game 3 and the goal that sent the thousands of Pens fans watching the deciding game 5 at Consol Energy Centre into a frenzy. Marc-Andre Fleury, who couldn't get a shutout in the regular season even if his life depended on it, managed to blank the Canucks on their home ice in Game 3 and then once more in Game 5 to clinch the Cup, stopping 156/165 shots through five games.

"Patric has stepped up just the way we imagined he would," Captain Sidney Crosby praised his teammate amidst the on-ice celebrations. "We were so lucky to get him early in the season and he just gelled with the whole team instantly. The same goes for Vinny too. He has been in these kinds of situations before and he showed it in this series. Marc was unbelievable for us in the Finals and really kept us in games when we didn't play at our best. Heck, he was incredible throughout the whole run.

That said, I have nothing but respect for our opposition. They played their hearts out and this series really could have gone the other way with the two overtime games. The Sedins showed by they are one of the best duo in the league and Kesler was just a defensive beast."

"I don't know how it went in," Hornqvist spoke about his Cup-winning goal. "I think it just squeaked by [Luongo] and I think that's just the kind of goal you have to rely on in the Finals against a great goaltender like him. We knew we had to take advantage of our powerplays after missing some opportunities earlier and it just...happened. I'll never forget this moment and I couldn't have done it without playing on the greatest team in the world. I'd like to thank the staff and management for believing in me and bringing me here to play with with two of the best players in the game right now in Crosby and Malkin."

OT: Henrik wins the Art Ross and Hart? I think Malkin got robbed.

Good question, I'd like to say it depends on the interest of the gm's but this league is different in how it needs gm's and agents

I haven't heard from many of the agents for a while, and most of our gm's listed are honestly gone from the league

If the interest is there, a second season could be doable, but we'd need an influx of new people at both positions

I'm definitely interested in a second season. My ragtag group of NHL-ready-ish rookies, underperforming veterans, and Devan fracking Dubnyk almost made the playoffs this year. Maybe consider asking VC ir SOB to advertise in their threads? Cancel the "Capitalist" part of it and just do a regular NHL 13 sim league? Just suggestions that might up the number of GMs.

I'm definitely interested in a second season. My ragtag group of NHL-ready-ish rookies, underperforming veterans, and Devan fracking Dubnyk almost made the playoffs this year. Maybe consider asking VC ir SOB to advertise in their threads? Cancel the "Capitalist" part of it and just do a regular NHL 13 sim league? Just suggestions that might up the number of GMs.

Archived