The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roberto Luongo rightful goalie of the Vancouver Canucks

timmylu1

I'm 99% certain that the people who still want Luongo around are the people who purchased Luongo jersey's and want to keep them relevant. I don't see how anyone would not want a fresh start in net with a young, stud goalie that's been coming up through our system.

Haha, seriously you want to talk about Olympic ok Luongo played well there. But what about when he is playing the in NHL with the Canucks where they are eliminations games Luongo hardly gives the Canucks a save. Besides the hawks series 2 years ago where he made a save in OT, every other elimation game has been painful to watch. In 4 elimation games how many goals has his given up? I would do quick math for you. In 4 eliminations games (Anahiem, Chicago times 2 and Boston) Luongo has let in 19 goals. That is not even heard of. I don't want to sound Anti Luongo but he doesn't have a good track record at all in the playoffs. I believe it is time to start fresh with Schnieder and see where he can take the Canucks.

Does everybody remember Halak ih his last season with the Habs? He played a very similar style to Schneider, and he stole the starting job from Price. However, after about 5 consecutive games, he lost his edge and needed some rest. I think Schneider will be very similar to Halak - a good starter provided he doesn't go over 60 games, plays his best splitting the playing time with another goalie, and a beast in the playoffs.

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?

I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.

Just my observation

I see one detail that has been over looked by many people including the "experts" the fact that the team doen't play for Luo anymore, and it is true, all you have to do is look back to how the team played in front of Luo vs. Schneids in this years play offs. The effort in front of each goalie respectivley was night and day, Luo got no defensive or offensive support, Schneids got both, now if lossing Luo would be the worst thing, why would the team play so bad in front of him?, and if Schneids is not as good as some people have suggested, then why does the team play so well in front of him?

I love Luo but there is something wrong in Canuck land, and it seems to revolve around Luo.

Just my observation

The reason that the Canucks play better in front of him is because Schneids makes it easier to play in front. He directs rebounds to safer spots, smothers rebounds, corrals loose pucks., All things Lou has trouble with. When your goalie is giving you, as a defensman, better situations, of course it will appear that you are playing better in front of him. When your goalie makes big saves, bails you out, of course you respond to that! Lou has trouble with all the above. As an example, count how many times Lou dropped the puck from his trapper or lost his stick, then compare that to Schneider!!! Point made !!! Lou is no longer the go to guy, management dictated that in the playoffs by stating they were going with the netminder who gave them the best chance to win. A powerful statement, that has set the tone for the future.

Does everybody remember Halak ih his last season with the Habs? He played a very similar style to Schneider, and he stole the starting job from Price. However, after about 5 consecutive games, he lost his edge and needed some rest. I think Schneider will be very similar to Halak - a good starter provided he doesn't go over 60 games, plays his best splitting the playing time with another goalie, and a beast in the playoffs.

Haha, seriously you want to talk about Olympic ok Luongo played well there. But what about when he is playing the in NHL with the Canucks where they are eliminations games Luongo hardly gives the Canucks a save. Besides the hawks series 2 years ago where he made a save in OT, every other elimation game has been painful to watch. In 4 elimation games how many goals has his given up? I would do quick math for you. In 4 eliminations games (Anahiem, Chicago times 2 and Boston) Luongo has let in 19 goals. That is not even heard of. I don't want to sound Anti Luongo but he doesn't have a good track record at all in the playoffs. I believe it is time to start fresh with Schnieder and see where he can take the Canucks.

You don't know that for a fact if Losing Luongo would be the worst thing now do you? Like I said before not many Goaltenders can play into their 40's like Brodeur. But guys like you make excuses as to why Schnieder won't get us there either. Not proven, Not enough experience , or whatever you said in the past but Goaltenders like Roy, Dryden, and Broduer have proven in their first year if given the opportunity can lead you to the conference finals or even winning the cup with only a half season or less under their belts. Again I can make the same arguments too.

Can we make those same statements 6 years ago DownUnda that we put our faith on a goaltender in Luongo who hasn't played on a winning team or even a sniff of the playoffs before coming here? Wasn't that a gamble 6 years ago when we still had Cloutier under Contract with us? At least Dan had playoff experience. Wasn't Dan called a choke artist too?

Montreal took a gamble on Dryden with 6 games under his belt ,and he took them to the cup. Broduer and Roy only had 47 under their belt with NJ and Montreal respectively and they took them deep into the playoffs. So what are you going to say to us if your wrong about Schnieder? Don't get me wrong here. I do understand what your saying. But to say it would be a mistake without giving Cory a chance to see how he handles things is a little prematured!

But overall I know its a team game. Not one player can lead us to the cup nor one player losses it for the team.

The reason that the Canucks play better in front of him is because Schneids makes it easier to play in front. He directs rebounds to safer spots, smothers rebounds, corrals loose pucks., All things Lou has trouble with. When your goalie is giving you, as a defensman, better situations, of course it will appear that you are playing better in front of him. When your goalie makes big saves, bails you out, of course you respond to that! Lou has trouble with all the above. As an example, count how many times Lou dropped the puck from his trapper or lost his stick, then compare that to Schneider!!! Point made !!! Lou is no longer the go to guy, management dictated that in the playoffs by stating they were going with the netminder who gave them the best chance to win. A powerful statement, that has set the tone for the future.

The smartest move for the Franchise, is to keep both goalies. We have a great Team here. Fan support, and a little friendlier Vancouver Media, would go a long way in the "Mental" atmosphere, aspect,of the whole Team, not just Luongo's. I don't care who you are, negativity and constant harping gets to you. Newsflash. Hockey Players are Human too. Great Posts here , by the way.

Schneider has played more than 40 games a grand total of 3 times. that includes the NHL, AHL, College, and high school. Lu has proven many times he can play 60+ games and put up stellar numbers on a reagular basis. I know Schneids been successful at every level but it makes me a little uneasy to think of him playing 60+ games every season.

On the other hand Scheids is 7 years younger. I would not want to be the one to make this decision. Either way we could get bit in the a$$ but we need the assets one of these premier goalies would fetch.

I hope folks that think like you aren't in management positions requiring risk/reward analysis and hard decisions.

After 2 years of watching Cory perform, how he prepares, how he handles adversity etc, he has shown all the right signs that he will be a top goalie. Nucks management sees this and has a dilemma. THey have to assess all the facts and history of both goalies and make a "tough decision". They did that in this year's playoffs. IN an absolute pressure-cooker position with all the controversy around Cory starting, Cory was the best player on the ice for the Nucks 3 games straight and handled the media likea seasoned pro.

No-one knows for sure how Cory or Lu will perform going forward. All kinds of coulds and shoulds and maybes involved in trying to predict the future. Based on stats and observations to-date. Management has determined that Cory has better potential long-term than Lu. Now they have to figure out whether or not they can be the benefactors of developing Cory through making him their starter, or if they have to trade him and get another key piece.

Not an easy task for MG and management but it's what they get paid for. Whatever happens, I hope it takes the team to the holy grail.

a top goalie today or in the future? perhaps. to place him in the same breath as Roy and Dryden and the best all time at this point in his career is beyond rediculous. right back at ya as to i hope management doesnt think like you

Archived