The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gragnani, does he have a spot on this team?

yogolol

At the trade deadline we heard what a great young puck moving defenceman he was. Holy smokes I'm not sure about that. He was on the #1 PP unit and looked very uncomfortable. Just like I don't think Kas should be starting with the club I think MAG should start in the AHL so they get minutes of playing time instead of 8 shifts a game with the big club. If MG believes in MG talents for the future, this means we are getting younger on the d and have no need for that bag of pucks known as Luke Scheen!!

No, I see Gragnani as a huge downgrade on a player like Ballard. Even though Ballard has struggled the last two season he's a solid defenseman when on his game. Gragnani is smaller, less responsible, and easier to move off the puck. He's a solid acquisition for his offensive upside if we can get him for cheap but in my opinion we gave up a far better defenseman in Sulzer to get him.

Although, Sulzer didn't fit with our system, I'm glad to see him in Buffalo where I think he'll do great there. To me Gragnani still falls behind Alberts and Rome on our depth chart and has a long way to develop before he's defensively responsible enough to be anything more than a healthy scratch for the majority of the season.

Gragnani is a very solid young player who as most defenseman his age need work in their own end. He is not a player to brush off or disregard because he may very well be a strong producer for the team in the future. His passing is essential to getting players like the Sedin's the puck lets not forget that.

I worry how he will be used by the coaching staff more than anything. But there is also a fear if he does not grow and become confident in his own zone he will be the next Lukas krajicek.

Point, give him some time - if spot duty this year gives him 50 or so games then maybe he'll be ready to play as a regular year after next.

Part of a package to get Weber or Nash. One can dream !!!

Like the offense, size, poise. Hate the risk, defensive awareness and complete lack of physical play. Not a big fan of the lack of size and truculence our bottom pairings and depth defenseman have.

So unless Ballard gets moved i have Gragnani as a 8 or 9 on our depth chart.

Send him to the minors like alot of people have stated. We are trying to get biggier and meaner on the blue line with out loosing any speed. Garrison is a big step in the right direction. Ballard and Tanev work well together, even though there small but they will only be getting 15 min a night. If we resign Salo then Tanev can mature even more in the AHL.

Edler-Garrisson

Hamhius- Bieksa

Ballard-Salo

Alberts

MAG and Tanev in the AHL with Cannaughton for D depth

The only reason Gragnani got so much ice-time at the end of the season was to ensure that he reached RFA status. Gillis and AV now have the option of easing him into the lineup. Even if he spends time in Chicago, he will be learning our system. If we keep him in Vancouver, then he will be learning our system and getting used to line-mates. Some people don't get the fact that we need players for now and for the future.

Friend of mine told me MacTavish was interviewed earlier this week on 630 Ched in Edmonton.  He was asked to comment on Connauton (who was born in Edmonton).  MacTavish said the kid is definitely an NLHer.  He is in fantastic shape, he has great skill, he is a great skater/shooter, he has great hockey sense and he is the hardest working player that MacTavish has ever coached.

Behind Edler, Hammer and Ballard in the depth chart, he will fall into a training camp battle with Connauton for a depth job on current status. In reality that leaves him in complete limbo. If he can't crack the club, he also has to pass waivers, so its a risk putting him in Chicago. And all this presumes we re-sign him?

But I fully expect one of our top 3 left D to be moved over summer, which makes his camp battle a very interesting one. The role is likely to be the third pair D, 2knd PP quarterback.

Personally, I like KC for the role, big shot!

Archived