The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Expert" opinion about this year's draft

ABNuck

There has been a lot of discussion and arguments on this board about this year's draft and how we can trade up possibly even to the number 1 slot. And I have been VERY vocal about how weak this draft is. Here we are one week away from the draft and barely a whisper from any GM's about trying to get the #1 from Tambellini. So what does that tell you folks. The "media" may be trying to put a positive spin on this draft but in all reality the "experts" (the GM's and scouting staffs) aren't too excited. There was far more genuine interest and hype when the Seguin vs. Hall draft was developing. Hockey people were talking about that draft back in December. Well here we are one week away and the only ones talking about the draft are the media. There's more interest in the Nash story than the Yakupov story.

Again, I am not trying to "diss" or "hate-on" Yakupov, all I'm trying to do is bring some levity and reality to the situation: This is a weak draft if you're looking for a superstar...there quite simply put, doesn't exist any in this draft. I hope I'm wrong but here's what one source had to summarize about this draft (referring to Ryan Murray): "In many ways, Murray epitomizes this year's draft class in that he's a safe, sure-fire pick to play, but not necessarily a guy who's going to be a star player."

"Epitomizes" this year's class...that pretty much means what I've been saying...one day these guys will be solid NHLers...like I stated about Yakupov (a solid 2nd liner with spot duty on 1st line and some PP time). Sounds pretty good to me, but not a superstar. One poster on here stated that he was the greatest draft prospect since Sid the Kid. If this was true, then where's the multi-million dollar offer to come play in the KHL? He would be the face of their league as Sid is to ours. Why would Nail play here for 900 grand for 3 years when he could go home and make instant millions and be a hero to his entire country? Quite simply put, because not even the KHL scouts rate him as high as the North American media.

The scenario kind of reminds me of a struggling company that has a poor quarterly showing. The PR people are paid to put the most positive spin on the report as possible, but at the end of the day, the "REAL" experts aren't fooled.

So let's please stop promoting any ideas about moving one of our goalies for this year's 1st (unless it's to turn around and deal it off immediately). Our goalies are both worth MUCH more than an un-proven media-hyped player.

I think a reason there has been so little talk about this years draft is because there is a clear cut #1 and it drops off after that. In past years there hasn't been a clear #1. From last year RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau and Larsson could all have been picked #1. Taylor or Tyler? Tavares or Hedman? Stamkos or Doughty?

But yes this year's draft is relatively shallow in terms of star power, but deep with solid NHLer's.

Scouts have said that Yakupov could be the most talented player to come by in a number of years. People like MacKenzie have talked to scouts, and have suggested that there's a top tier of players that consists only of Yakupov, a 2nd tier of players like Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, and it continues to fall from there. This isn't a very good draft if you're a team like Vancouver, though there are certain players that could fall that could potentially be a steal, like Frk.

...and why would Yakupov want to play here in North America? Because he wants to play with the best, and has the drive to be one of the best. I think I've seen a quote from him calling the KHL a 2nd tier league, which pissed a lot of Russians off. The kid has sacrificed a ton to come to North America, and really doesn't deserve your drivel and unsubstantiated comments.

Just like someone else mentioned, you don't have the "who will go first!? Taylor or Tyler!?" because this year the number 1 and 2 are not so closely rated. It's not rocket science. If one guy is pretty much the consensus number 1, there won't be discussion about whether he gets picked #1...

The only discussion is whether or not a team would trade the top pick because they'd rather fill another need and know it would be stupid to use the top pick on anyone else... but you won't hear a ton about teams trying to acquire the pick.

If the "experts" considers this to be such a weak draft, one has to wonder why the Devils have chosen to keep their first round pick this year. Seeing as the only way to have a lower first round pick would be to win the Cup, you would think that a GM like Lou would give up next year's pick...

......unless he disagrees with this so-called "expert" opinion....?

Archived