The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Refs and Umps

worse officiating, Is it....  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Was listening to an American Sports Talk Show early this morning

I think they were discussing what happened in the Basketball Playoff game the night before, when I tuned in

A question from the Host was posed to one of His Guests

Out of the Big 4 Sports, which do You think has the worst officiating?

His 1st response was " Well Hockey changes its rules in the middle of a game,Plus they have 2 Refs"

He then said after that, he doesnt watch enough of them ,to really say

I would say Hockey which I feel is managed more than reffed, although, I dont watch any of them anymore, other than a Lions game

What are other opinions?

Skill wise? CFL has the absolute worst refs you'll ever see. Most of them don't even keep in shape. I saw an article once saying the avg CFL ref was 20lbs heavier than NFL refs/

The issue with NHL reffing, has less to do with the actual refs. it is who is telling the refs what to call, when to call it. Like when obstruction started being allowed in Feb for no reason. I really doubt all the refs got together and planned not to call it, they were obviously told to ease up on it.

Thing that bothers me the most about NHL refs is you are 70% more likely to get a PP, as appose to being shorthanded if you are losing with less than 10 min left in the 3rd.

Hockey and its not the refs fault. They get mixed signals with almost constant changes to it thrown at them all the time. Inconsistent from one game to the next because they are being told to ref differently from one game to the next. From The disciplinary guys on down, top to bottom, its a mess and it totally **** up the players.

NFL is the best reffing by far. Total pro in every way. Miles ahead of everyone else.and they are still the ones looking to improve the most.

The NHL officiating sucks. I don't blame the refs because the rules are different every 5 minutes.

Hockey doesn't have the worst refs. The NHL does.

Remember the Olympics? Great officiating and that was some of the best hockey I've ever seen in my life. That's what hockey is supposed to look like.

Refs make mistakes in all sports. That's not the problem. It's the rules that are to blame.

just heard on sportsnet connected that fifa admitted the ukraine goal should have counted and the ref and other officials for the ukraine-england game yesterday were all told they won't be officiating again.

hey at least fifa admits to their mistakes and does something about it

just heard on sportsnet connected that fifa admitted the ukraine goal should have counted and the ref and other officials for the ukraine-england game yesterday were all told they won't be officiating again.

hey at least fifa admits to their mistakes and does something about it

Hockey is by far the worst, but it is also the most difficult to officiate, play is much faster than the other 3 big sports (in North America) and the ref is responsible for watching everything, basketball is much slower and the players are in a smaller area so it is easier to see all the players, football and baseball there are multiple officials and they each have their own area to be responsible for. The big issue I have with hockey is the ridiculous lack of consistency.

I think hockey should take a page from baseballs book and assign the officials to 4 man units that stay together, that way they can get on the same page, have a senior ref as the head referee who watches the play around the puck and a junior ref who watches for the behind the play crap, the officials are like a third team and anyone who has played any sport knows it is much more difficult to play when you have different teammates every time you take the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey is by far the worst, but it is also the most difficult to officiate, play is much faster than the other 3 big sports (in North America) and the ref is responsible for watching everything, basketball is much slower and the players are in a smaller area so it is easier to see all the players, football and baseball there are multiple officials and they each have their own area to be responsible for. The big issue I have with hockey is the ridiculous lack of consistency.

I think hockey should take a page from baseballs book and assign the officials to 4 man units that stay together, that way they can get on the same page, have a senior ref as the head referee who watches the play around the puck and a junior ref who watches for the behind the play crap, the officials are like a third team and anyone who has played any sport knows it is much more difficult to play when you have different teammates every time you take the field.

Archived