The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

T.J. Oshie

First proposal ever, so here we go:

To Vancouver: T.J. Oshie's rights,

To St. Louis: Keith Ballard, Sammy Pahlsson's rights (if resigned), 2nd Round Draft Pick

Saint Louis gains an experienced defencemen behind their 5 already under-contract defense corps. Saint Louis also has alot of money to spend to reach the cap (they're barely at 40m and they have more than half their team signed already). With many of their defence prospects developing, Ballard could help them along, teach them etc. They also gain a good 2-way centre that fits with their style of play and a 2nd round draft pick to deepen their prospect pool.

What Canucks get is a talented, relatively young 195 lb rightwing or centre that has considerable playmaking ability (35 assists last season). Imagine him playing with Booth and Kesler. He's also a energetic, exciting player that could boost our 2nd line.

Thoughts?

edit: I changed my mind. He's worth more than that with 2nd in overall points behind Backes (only a few points). Underestimation on my part.

I don't think that St. Louis would accept. Even though he isn't signed to a contract, he is still a big top six forward and would probably command more than a top 4 defender who is on a fairly bad contract and has been slumping as of recent times. Not that bad for a first proposal though. I have seen way, WAY worse. Keep it up!

I don't think that St. Louis would accept. Even though he isn't signed to a contract, he is still a big top six forward and would probably command more than a top 4 defender who is on a fairly bad contract and has been slumping as of recent times. Not that bad for a first proposal though. I have seen way, WAY worse. Keep it up!

They'd rather just keep Oshie and pay him Ballard's salary unless we way overpay. They already have to re-sign Perron and Jackman as well as Oshie this year and will need to do the same for Pietrangelo, Russell, Shattenkirk and Cole on D plus Stewart, Berglund and D'Agostini for forwards (all RFAs after this season). There's no way they handcuff themselves with more salary coming back in a trade.

If Ballard moves, it's to a team really needing defence or for very little return.

Well thanks for the answers anyway.. first proposal ever. I didn't think it over much. SLB would have to trade a bad contract on top of that to balance the cap, along with probably adding another Vancouver player to sweeten the deal @ a low cap that performs well (or perhaps a prospect).

Archived