The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jensen,Schroeder,Kassian

Peaches

Guest Dasein

Jensen will not make the team. If he is to make it in the future, I suspect he will be put in the 3rd line role initially to break in, then get promoted to the 2nd line over the course of the season via injuries or struggles of others and stay there.

Schroeder will get a golden chance to start on the 2nd line center position this season if CBA talks come to an agreement without a work stoppage. I personally think he will be given identical minutes to Hodgson (11-13 minutes) last season, with Manny or Lapierre playing 15-17 minutes.

Kassian will start on the 2nd line if he performs well in the pre-season and camp. He needed to work on his conditioning significantly, and if he does that and can keep up with the play, he will be good enough for a top 6 role.

Besides being young, can someone explain to me why Jensen has no chance of making it this season? Not every player needs "seasoning", he is 6'3 and over 200 pounds, great hockey size and obviously has skill. if he impresses out of camp, yes he can make the team if he is the best option.. why should we choose Schroeder just because he is slightly older if he won't provide as much going forward..

It'll be fun to see them as a line on their own in the Pre-Season!!

But I think Jensen could use a year with the Wolves. I like the chances for Schroeder making the team. Could see Jordan being part of the 3rd line with Hansen and Lappierre. That would be a very speedy third line with a nasty fore check, and Schroeder would up that lines skill level.

Sedin - Sedin - Burr

Booth - Kesler/Higgins - Higgins/MayRay - until Ryan comes back

Shroeder/Raymond - Lappy - Hansen

Kassian - Malholtra - Volpatti/Weise

I like the look of that line-up. However if the track record of MG tells us anything come July 4th or so you will see a whole lot of change to the line-up

Guest Dasein

Besides being young, can someone explain to me why Jensen has no chance of making it this season? Not every player needs "seasoning", he is 6'3 and over 200 pounds, great hockey size and obviously has skill. if he impresses out of camp, yes he can make the team if he is the best option.. why should we choose Schroeder just because he is slightly older if he won't provide as much going forward..

Well to start probably Jensen and Schroeder on the 3rd line to see what they are capable of, then they will be bumped to the 2nd line to be show cased for trade bait. While at the same time Kassian had been on the 4th line, AV bumped him to the 3rd line because Jensen and Schroeder are being show cased on the 2nd line which opens room on the 3rd line. MG drops the bomb trades Jensen and Schroeder for a center and draft pick, to help them shut down players in the playoffs, and then Kassian is back in the dog house on the 4th line.

Couple of reasons why I think we should give are prospects a chance to start the season with the team.

- Keslers replacement is not going to come via a trade or a free agent. Who ever steps up to help fill that void is going to have to be from within the organisation. Schroeder has the potential to be a 2nd line center, so why not give him a shot at it for the first month while Kesler is out.

-Kassian should not be playing in the AHL next season, hes NHL ready , hes big, can hit, and he can skate, playing in the NHL will help him develop his game better then the AHL.

-Jensen is the wild card, out of the forwards, hes the youngest out of the bunch, but hes the favorite to make it among NHL scouts. If the scouts believe hes are best prospect right now, I want too see what he's got.

-When it comes to defencemen , I think we should have Gragnani or Tanev alternating out the the bottom 2. With so many young guys starting at forward the Canucks are better off having more veterans playing D.

- One of AV's biggest criticisms is not giving prospects any playing time. With his new contract freshly signed maybe it will help get some critics off his back if he did let them start the first 15 games or so.

-The start of the season is the best time to be experimenting, it leaves room for them to catch up if there experiment doesn't go well. Besides teams like the Oilers and the Laughs are usually the best teams to start the season anyways. It usually takes teams about 3 months to settle down and figure each other out.

-The NHL is getting younger and younger, season after season, the Canucks are not following that trend. Now in days in the cap era, teams need young players with cheap contracts that are able to play at high levels. Hawks won that way , the Bruins too, and Philly was so stacked this year because of all there young guys low salaries(this offseason will be an interesting one for them).

- Who knows we may have the next Sean Couturier, Adam Henrique, or Carl Hagelin already in are system.

-All I'm saying is at least give are prospects a real chance to shine in the NHL during the first 15 games or so.

Here is a lineup i wouldn't mind seeing to start the season

or at least until the Luongo(maybe Schneider) trade happens and when Kesler comes back

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) /-------- Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / ---------Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) /-------- Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) /--- Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / -----Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /------ Nicklas Jensen ($0.894m)

Jordin Tootoo ($1.750m) / ------Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /------- Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) /------------ Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Sami Salo ($2.000m) /---------------- Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Jason Garrison ($4.000m) /--------- Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($1.150m) /

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($3.250m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,522,500; BONUSES: $125,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster):- $222,500

Ballard Raymond Alberts can be traded for anything

Sign Lack, Ebbett, Volpatti and Weise 2 way

I think Schroeder will play well enough to stay in the lineup even after Kesler returns. Hopefully he can then secure the third line spot because I think Lappy's game is a lot more suited for a fourth line gritty pest, and also because Lappy can be great at spurts but has failed to deliver consistency.

As for Jensen, I think he'll probably get sent down to the AHL to begin the season, but will be a serviceable call up down the stretch and in the playoffs. But AHL wouldn't hurt right now in his development and be in all types of situations rather than limited minutes, as AV takes a long time to trust his young players (not unlike many other coaches in the NHL).

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Raymond/Kassian/New Player

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Jensen/Kassian - Lapierre - Malhotra

That's not a bad line up. Now if we can just get a top 4 defenseman...

Jensen will not make the team. If he is to make it in the future, I suspect he will be put in the 3rd line role initially to break in, then get promoted to the 2nd line over the course of the season via injuries or struggles of others and stay there.

Schroeder will get a golden chance to start on the 2nd line center position this season if CBA talks come to an agreement without a work stoppage. I personally think he will be given identical minutes to Hodgson (11-13 minutes) last season, with Manny or Lapierre playing 15-17 minutes.

Kassian will start on the 2nd line if he performs well in the pre-season and camp. He needed to work on his conditioning significantly, and if he does that and can keep up with the play, he will be good enough for a top 6 role.

Archived