The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Barret Jackman Re-ups with STL

y0shi

Confirmed via TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398648

Defenceman Barret Jackman won't be testing the free agent market in July after all.

The St. Louis Blues announced on Monday that the defenceman has signed a three-year contract. While the club did not release terms of the deal, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch is reporting that contract has a total value of $9.5 million.

"Barret has been a solid leader for our club, on and off the ice, and we're happy to have him in the fold for the next three years," Blues executive vice president and general manager Doug Armstrong said in a statement. "He's a staple of the organization and the community and his positive influence on our young core has and will remain an invaluable asset."

"St. Louis is our home and my family and I are excited to be staying," said Jackman. "I am proud of the progress we made this season but our fans deserve a championship and our team will not be satisfied until we achieve that goal."

Jackman, 31, dressed in 81 games for the Blues last season recording 13 points (one goal, 12 assists) and 57 penalty minutes while tying for second on the club with a +20 rating.

There's a handful of hockey challenged individuals in St. Louis that hate this deal but I can't see anything wrong with it. Especially when you consider what your options are in the market if you DON'T make this deal.

How bout -6 in 4 games against the Kings (-8 in 9 total playoff games), arguably the worst player in the LA series. 30 years old making 3+ mil with a NTC.

There's legitimate reason to not like this deal.

Another UFA defenceman hits the dust. MG needs to pounce on whoevers left because there's still some gems out there and our defence needs one or two top-4 guys. We haven't replaced Ehrhoff's quality 20-25 minutes a game, and with Salo getting older we're going to have to replace his 20 minutes too.

Ballard and Tanev are not options. Jackman would have been great, but there's bigger fish out there.

Archived