The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pierre McGuire not so wrong!

Herberts Vasiljevs

Not to mention Subban is overrated bec of his brother. Go look at the scouting reports on him, he has alot of flaws to his game. There are better goaltenders available. He's getting the "Canadian media" bump.

Luongo

Schnieder

Lack

Cannata (may start for wolves if trade occurs)

Honzik

Iilahti (don't have his rights)

I think we're good on goalies, although Malcolm is something special. The kid is 12 for 12 in the shootout! If we trade either Schneider or Luongo, I could see it happening.

There was an immediate explosion here on CDC when TSN analyst Pierre McGuire picked Malclom Subban to be picked by the Vancouver Canucks at 26th overall. This isn't based by how scouts ranked them, but where they think each team would pick them.

Yes, I agree with most you in the fact that Pierre McGuire's a total idiot, and frankly, so is that knob Button. It's a shame that TSN had to pick their two worst analysts for the show. Let's no kid ourselves about that.

But let me be honest, Pierre McGuire's idea wasn't necessarily a terrible one. No matter what the circumstances, I say that you ALWAYS pick the BPA (best player available) in the draft. Malcolm Subban has great size for a goaltender (average), has some of the quickest reflexes for a goalie prospect in a long time, and yes, he knows how to keep his cool: unlike PK Subban, and that's very important for a goalie.

Pierre McGuire learned from what I found the most hilarious draft moment ever. A few years ago when Carey Price was drafted by the Canadians, he went right at Bob Gainey just as he was picked and said that it was an awful pick for the Canadians. They had Jose Theodore at the time and that was just 2 seasons after he had won the Hart Trophy, and Yann Danis was a really coveted goalie coming out of university hockey. Pierre stated on that day that the Montreal Canadians had waaaay more important needs (much like Vancouver does now), and now a few years later, he's the only player who gives his team a chance to win.

Also, Tuukka Rask vs. Andrew Raycroft. The Maple Leafs drafted Rask a few years back in the first round. Andrew Raycroft won the Calder Trophy with the Boston Bruins in the 2004 regular season. Andrew Raycroft was later on traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Tuukka Rask, which led to the endless goalie graveyard in Toronto (Raycroft, Toskala, Reimer, Gustavsson). The funny thing is, if Toronto had been smart enough to keep Tuukka Rask, he could have been that solution to Toronto's goaltending problems; though I have to admit, Toronto has AWFUL defensive defense.

Say we do trade Luongo anytime soon, what if Cory Schneider does turn into a Andrew Raycroft or Steve Mason? There's no telling yet if Schneider can play full regular seasons and playoffs in back to back years, though I think he can. What if we trade Scheider and Roberto Luongo suddenly goes on the decline? I'm not saying it will happen, because I truly don't feel it won't, but history has shown that anything's possible!

The only thing I don't agree with that Pierre said is that we really need another goalie in the system. Joe Cannata looks very promising and he's really blossuming in the exact league Ryan Miller did, and expect him to see time with the Chicago Wolves this year. Who knows, maybe we'll face goaltending problems in the future, but, maybe we won't. But like I've always said, pick the BPA no matter what! Pierre McGuire may look like a man's shaft with glasses, but in a way he's right.

I'm a really REALLY big fan of both Henrik Samuelsson and Mark Jankowski (hoping we pick one <3), but if our scouts truly believe he's the BPA, then.. PICK HIM!!!!!! I'm very excited for the draft, it's my most anticipated day of the year besides Christmas, St.Patrick's DAy, and of course, the trade deadline.

Thoughts?

Cheers, GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Best player available? What does that even mean? I mean honestly every team would probably value the 26th pick differently. Unless you have a top 5 pick, the draft is kind of a crap shoot.

We really could use some depth at center and left wing so I would expect some of those needs addressed. I do know that we don't need to rush a center into action and wingers are a dime a dozen and we could address those issues through free agency. The Hardest thing in the world to draft is a top tier defensenman, and honestly they can come at any point in the draft, but there's a good chance you can find one in the first 3 rounds. There's a lot of good US D prospects and considering that we like to draft out of those programs I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being our first round selection, even if we traded up in the draft.

I do not see us drafting a goalie in the first round and it makes no sense at all. If I had to put money down I would bet on a Dman in first round. But I guess we'll see how it goes, it's hard to say who the Canucks like and who's still available when it's their turn to pick.

Guest BuckFoston

Is he has the same winning personality and attitude towards team work/personal responsibility as his brother - then hell no. Boycott the whole Subban clan.

Something to consider as well, is the overall worth of goaltenders. The game today is seemingly decided by the hot handed goaltender, and having promising goaltending prospects in abundance gives you many options for future trades in the case that you didn't get the high enough pick in the draft to immediately address what you want. That's how I see it anyways.

"Draft the best player available" to me, and just based on prior experience/history, that little nugget of false wisdom sounds an awful lot like a cop out excuse of someone unable to get done what needs to be done.

Trade up or down to ensure the players you want will be available when you pick, and definitely pick positionally. Any picks outside of the top 10 are generally not going to be available for 3-4 years, explain the logic to me in drafting a position that is already deep while neglecting glaring needs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we have drafted the best player available for the last 4-5 years and because of that we have no clear cut heirs to the Sedin impact throne, the Sedin's decline will start in about 3 years so now is when their positions should be drafted for replacement.

Archived