The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

So i went back to my worksheets and rebooted the wacky 'game days' version to see how Quebec would have faired: They still lost, but they actually only lost last night, as they WON game 1 and went on to lose 4 in a row after that. I am, just for kicks now, going to do all the series up and see the difference..again just for kicks and see how it would work.

Sample Best of 7 Format Playoffs Quarterfinal Matchups

Western Conference

08. small.pngMinnesota vs Los Angeles small.png .01

L 4 game 1 Apr 30th 11 W

L 42 game 2 May 1st, 2nd, 3rd 74 W

L 43 game 3 May 4th, 5th 47 W

L 30 game 4 May 6th, 7th 67 W

small.png Wins in 4

small.pngSan Jose vs Winnipeg small.png .02

L 16 game 1 Apr 30th 16 W*

L 6 game 2 May 1st, 2nd 48 W

L 20 game 3 May 3rd, 4th 52 W

L 37game 4 May 5th, 6th 42 W

small.png Wins in 4 *tie game 1 decided by home ice advantage

06. small.pngEdmonton vs Chicago small.png .03

W 30 game 1 Apr 30th, May 1st 24 L

W 30 game 2 May 2nd, 3rd 13 L

W 36 game 3 May 4th, 5th 31 L

W 50 game 4 May 6th, 7th 27 L

small.pngWins in 4

small.pngDallas vs Vancouver small.png.04

L 2 game 1 Apr 30th 18 W

W 33 game 2 May 1st, 2nd 27 L

L 8 game 3 May 3rd, 4th 63 W

W 50 game 4 May 5th, 6th 44 L

L 34 game 5 May 7th, 8th 62 W

W 22 game 6 May 9th, 10th 15 L

game 7 May 11th, 12th 13th

small.pngTied Up 3 games to 3 small.png

Eastern Conference

08. 2ef5pn7.jpg Quebec vs Florida small.png .01

W 25 game 1 Apr 30th, May 1st 21 L

L 10 game 2 May 2nd, 3rd 62 W

L 19 game 3 May 4th, 5th 63 W

L 19 game 4 May 6th, 7th 71 W

L 2 game 5 May 8th, 9th 74 W

small.png Wins 4 games to 1

07. small.png Ottawa vs NY Islanders small.png .02

W 94 game 1 Apr 30, May 1st, 2nd 55 L

W 18 game 2 May 3rd 17 L

L 36 game 3 May 4th, 5th 41 W

L 36 game 4 May 6th, 7th 71 W

L 24 game 5 May 8th, 9th 61 W

L 21 game 6 May 10th, 11th 49 W

small.png Wins 4 games to 2

06. small.pngBoston vs Buffalo small.png .03

L 77 game 1 Apr 30, May 1st, 2nd 82 W

W 39 game 2 May 3rd, 4th 26 L

W 55game 3 May 5th, 6th 52 L

W 86 game 4 May 7th, 8th 42 L

L 26 game 5 May 9th, 10th 58 W

*game 6 May 11th, 12th

*game 7 May 13th

small.pngleads 3 games to 2

small.pngPittsburgh vs New Jersey small.png .04

W 35 game 1 Apr 30, May 1st 34 L

L 25 game 2 May 2nd, 3rd, 4th 89 W

L 70 game 3 May 5th, 6th 79 W

L 30 game 4 May 7th, 8th 56 W

16 game 5 May 9th, 10th 58 W

small.png Wins 4 games to 1

Hrm, I am actually in agreement with TM on MG not thinking in terms of integrity and what would be the 'nice' thing to do. At least I hope not, in a weird way. Nice guys finish last is the old saying.

Be nice to strangers, old ladies and your neighbor: be cold, yet within your legal rights and bounds, when dealing with mutli millions of dollars and peoples livelihoods. You need to separate emotion from reality IMO.

Just to be clear, I don't think the organization should treat the Sedins shabbily but, unfortunately, I believe that MG has backed himself into a corner with his other deals.

When I look at his options available, because I believe he will be looking for somewhere else to shift blame, it seems that he has to do something major to save his job because Booth, Ballard and Lou won't do it.

He may believe that the Sedins deserve better as individuals but will he fall on his sword to ensure that? From my experience, and you all know what that is, his mandate is a singular focus. Profit. Everything else is secondary.

I think he only has two options, or the coaching staff i should say has two options, since he will imo keep the twins and resign them slightly cheaper yet again.

Either bring in a huge star or for that matter put Kesler up there with them to make a true All Star line or split the twins and bring in sub allstar guys to augment those lines. Danny Kes Burr and then two wingers for Hank..maybe one of them is already in the organization, but definately need one more. Perhaps just maybe, a goalie and a top six forward and a dman would bring in that missing piece..

FYI the missing piece has been missing since 2006, lol.

Hrm, I am actually in agreement with TM on MG not thinking in terms of integrity and what would be the 'nice' thing to do. At least I hope not, in a weird way. Nice guys finish last is the old saying.

Be nice to strangers, old ladies and your neighbor: be cold, yet within your legal rights and bounds, when dealing with mutli millions of dollars and peoples livelihoods. You need to separate emotion from reality IMO.

I have a living room full of trophies that say this nice guy has finished first and won a shipload of DH MTB races .I treat others with dignity and respect because that is how I want to be treated and I consider it the "right" way to behave towards others. Were the Sedins being cold when they took paycuts to stay with the canucks , or when they gave over a million dollars to the hospital in your city . Money is something you need to live , how you treat other people defines who you are and what your legacy is

I agree with you absolutely in every regard, but then your not managing 100 million a year of some guys assets for him. That is what I was talking about...a kind generous favored spirit will not be the GM of 100m a year for long.

So if you are looking at the best of 7 with the 'wacky' game timeframes for lack of a better word you will see:

that Minnesota still lost in four, but were only 4 points shy of a tie in game 3 that would have extended the series

Winnipeg won a tie game by virtue of home ice during that game, as a means to break the tie..with one more point that series would still be in action.

that Edmonton still won in four, but with 2 of those games razor thin margins!

that the Dallas Vancouver series looks like it will be a nail biter 7th game final

And out east...

Quebec actually won a game before losing the next four, and so that series got extended vs the other tracking method

The Islanders lead 3 games to 2 instead of 3 -1

Honestly not much difference in the Buffalo/Boston series as that one is close any way you slice it! lol

NJ Devils still lead 3 games to 1 over the Penguins, but the victory the penguins secured was game one instead of game three and eventually they went on to lose game three by just nine points. Adding compete to the individual games and better chance at extending the series.

So in short, while the game night dispersion seems eratic, it is indeed formulaic and set in stone by said formula the moment the NHL releases the series schedules and it adds an element of momentum shifts as underdog teams may for a single game have the most feet on the ice and a chance to capitalize on home ice advantage wheras in a linear points system this is simply not the case. Further adding some excitement is that by game 5, 6 and 7, should an underdog team push and win 1 or 2 or even 3 games up to that point, the playing field could be much more level as the series drags on, as teams finish their NHL series early..I find that possibility adds a lot of potential excitement to the series while adding in the realism of 7 "games" rather than a race to most points over 2 weeks.

Thanks for reading (i want to add TRUE BELIEVERS...haha...Stan Lee's voice is in my head )

PS: I have tried to come up with the best description of the game schedule to whit;

Each GML series begins on opening night and ends on the final night of the entire NHL round it corresponds to. Then with the exception of Game 7 which goes to the end of the last scheduled game of the entire round, each corresponding NHL series game night is the cut off for the equivalent GML series game. Whew, that is as concise as I can make it. lol

Enlightened self interest is a philosophy in ethics which states that persons who act to further the interests of others (or the interests of the group or groups to which they belong), ultimately serve their own self-interest.

It has often been simply expressed by the belief that an individual, group, or even a commercial entity will "do well by doing good".

You have to tread carefully with the Sedins. Example of recent memory = some dude named Markus Naslund. Face of the franchise, coulda/shoulda won the Art Ross, etc. etc., and we have him that 3 year 18 mil deal that looked great at first (less than market value), but by the end of it, most thought it was time to let go. Loyalty/Class/Integrity/Honour are all great qualities, but if you follow those exclusively and it cloud good business/management decisions, then the franchise fails.

At the end of the day, you gotta look out for what's best for the organization. Part of that involves how you treat ur players, but also your ability to assess talent.

EDIT: I would keep them for a 1 or 2 year deal without any clauses. That way, they can mentor/be top-6 and productive and the buy the organization some time.

^ Key word is 'Buy', in the above statement. The Twins are top six material and worth a pretty penny for a long term 29 other GM's can offer them 1 or 2 years, only at more money than MG can. To 'buy' the time we will need to pay with 'term' instead of raw cash. Same with Marcus, I am firmly and have never not been in the camp that thought he was worth his salary until the minute he went to New York. Side Note I am pretty mad still that Captain No Cup stole Marcus' fairwell night. If I were Marcus I would not be thinking the organization was very classy to let the guy who failed in 1994 come back and steal my going away night as well as interupt my captaincy in mid stride. Jus Sayin.

It's a toughie, the salary cap world. Even tougher in the "free market" of baseball where you get paid based on past performance and not future projections. You can't be like "Oh, Nazzy, you were a 100 pt guy, but I think you'll only get 40 so I'll only offer you 3.5 mil".

The Twins turn 34 in September before the Season they will need to be re-signed to play...could they realistically play in the NHL until age 39 or 40? Would they want to? I wonder if they would take a downward escalating deal over 4 or more years? I guess we will find out in a year and 2 months, lol.

The Twins turn 34 in September before the Season they will need to be re-signed to play...could they realistically play in the NHL until age 39 or 40? Would they want to? I wonder if they would take a downward escalating deal over 4 or more years? I guess we will find out in a year and 2 months, lol.

All 4 of my Blues forwards struggle to generate anything and they lose out in 6, while DET forced a game 7 and Washington got the win... not good results for the Panthers tonight.

in my mind the cap will rise dramatically after this year where it is capped at i think 64 million?

I agree.

How many outdoor games are they doing next year? 6 of them? And how much money do each of those make? Yeah, cap's going up for 2014-15...

Archived