The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Multiple Job Offers. Help!

KoreanHockeyFan

Many, many years ago I worked for Superstore part-time while in school. What department you work in makes a huge difference there. All I know is that working in the bakery was not very pleasurable (especially as the new kid who had to clean the dead mice and trash and work in the freezer for hours on end).

My take is that you've committed to working for Superstore. I can only assume you presented yourself as dependable and this is also probably a good reason why they chose you over others, because they felt the same.

If you plan to take the IGA job then tell Superstore so and also tell them you are prepared to give 2 weeks notice. If you were newly hired they may tell you you needn't do so. Giving 2 weeks notice in reality gives the company time to find a replacement candidate for you and possibly train them before you leave so that their operations are minimally impacted, if at all.

Personally I would do so in a cordial and even an apologetic manner.

By not giving two weeks, you might disappoint the manager along with your co-workers who have to shoulder more of a load because you refused to put in your two weeks and this could ignite the bridge you depart on. Now what if that Superstore manager becomes the hiring manager of a company you would like to work for in the future?

Some might not care about this but it will form the basis of your reputation and how you are known. As a Manager I always lost a little respect for people who neglected to put in their two weeks. It's not always just about 'the company'. To be fair, sometimes one has no choice because it's either take the job now or keep working where you're currently working.

I say let them know that an opportunity that better suits your current situation has been presented to you and offer two weeks. This tells them that you have been sought by other companies and even though you are leaving, you are doing it the right way in their eyes.

Yes, companies lay people off and fire them with the perception that they could care less. But at the end of the day, they also decide who gets hired, they pay the salary and they also will, in all likelihood, be called for references by other companies you apply to.

Definitely look out for yourself but do it the respectable way.

Well the only remaining problem is the "hiring process" as I have to take some assesments and an interview in the end for IGA which may carry over past my orientation date with Superstore. I notified IGA about my issue and they understood so hopefully things will work out.

Thanks again for the tips guys!

Real talk, go in there and tell the man that you don't want to work for "stupidstore" and you only applied there as a goof. That IGA is the way things are going and that if he knew what was what, he'd be turning in his own appy at IGA.

But I've never been good at holding down or securing work.

Anyways, have you been to IGA and Superstore?

It is like night and day the difference in atmosphere.

Superstore is always packed with Asians yelling and people pushing and shoving, store is a mess. (I've only been to grandview and metrotown Superstores but I never enjoy going, the place is like a circus.)

IGA is a bit quieter. Probably a more relaxed place to work.

You don't owe Superstore anything. They are a huge corporation with hundreds of employees with what I'm assuming is a huge turnover. I've also heard lots of bad things about that place from ex employees. Just tell them Thanks but no thanks. Go work at IGA, smaller and has a better atmosphere from what I see.

Anyways, have you been to IGA and Superstore?

It is like night and day the difference in atmosphere.

Superstore is always packed with Asians yelling and people pushing and shoving, store is a mess. (I've only been to grandview and metrotown Superstores but I never enjoy going, the place is like a circus.)

IGA is a bit quieter. Probably a more relaxed place to work.

Real talk, go in there and tell the man that you don't want to work for "stupidstore" and you only applied there as a goof. That IGA is the way things are going and that if he knew what was what, he'd be turning in his own appy at IGA.

But I've never been good at holding down or securing work.

Haha yeah, I live pretty close to the Metrotown Superstore and it's always crowded and crazy in there. But again, I need a job, so if it comes down to it, Superstore will have to do. I went to almost all the IGAs a couple days ago and they're all so nice and quiet. Don't know how to explain it, but they just have a nice "feel" to them lol if that makes any sense.

Haha yeah, I live pretty close to the Metrotown Superstore and it's always crowded and crazy in there. But again, I need a job, so if it comes down to it, Superstore will have to do. I went to almost all the IGAs a couple days ago and they're all so nice and quiet. Don't know how to explain it, but they just have a nice "feel" to them lol if that makes any sense.

Archived