The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

feline riot

Buddhas Hand

Ok, my thinking was just that if I was in church and this masked punk band started thrashing about, I'd get pretty upset. I just hope people reading this story think about what they were actually doing, and how offensive it really was, protest or not.

there was no one in the church at the time of the protest .the only people that were offended were the church hierachy and putin , because the girls were threatening their power .

2 years in jail for offending people in Church??

How very 'Christian' of them.

I'm not gonna sit here and say that they deserved to go to jail for this, I merely wanted to point out how outrageous their act of protest was, because I haven't seen any comments like that so far on this thread.

there was no one in the church at the time of the protest .the only people that were offended were the church hierachy and putin , because the girls were threatening their power .

Even if there were no people in the church at that time, the act is still terribly offensive.

Even if there were no people in the church at that time, the act is still terribly offensive.

i find this more offensive

Putin Rolls Back Freedoms, Ups Efforts to Intimidate Opposition

RR-logo_003910.pngBy Kirit Radia | ABC News – Wed, Aug 1 2012

MOSCOW - When riot police forcibly dispersed a crowd that lingered after an anti-Putin protest in central Moscow a day after Russia's presidential election in March, many in the crowd sensed an ominous change in the air.

By the time protestors clashed with riot police May 6, the eve of President Vladimir Putin's inauguration, there was little doubt in most people's minds: Putin's patience with the opposition was over.

The next day, as Putin's motorcade drove through Moscow's deserted streets on the way to an opulent swearing in ceremony in the Kremlin, police raided cafes popular with opposition leaders and detained anyone wearing the opposition's iconic white ribbons. For the next week, police harassed roving groups of protestors who were guilty of little more than gathering without signs in a public square.

The incidents marked a dark shift in the Russian government's approach to the unprecedented wave of protests that have called on Putin to go since December.

Although Putin mocked the protest movement at first, accusing them of being U.S. agents and comparing the white ribbons to condoms, police did not intervene and city authorities granted them permits.

Since Putin's inauguration, however, the Kremlin has pushed through several pieces of legislation and orchestrated an apparent attempt to systematically restrict and intimidate the opposition.

"The government has switched to a repressive mode," Masha Lipman, an analyst with the Carnegie Moscow Center, said in an interview. "Punishment for a few, I think, is aimed at intimidating others."

For his part, Putin has said he respects the right of the people to protest, but again mocked their efforts. The white ribbons, he said, were yesterday's protest tactic.

"I am not saying anything against people, who use such symbols. But it hurts my feelings to see people using foreign-developed technologies," he told a youth forum Tuesday.

Lipman says any hope that Putin would pursue reform after last winter's protests was overly optimistic. "Putin's way of governing hasn't changed. But only now he is facing challenges he didn't face before and he wants to remove the challenge," she said.

That effort has only increased in recent weeks.

Several pieces of legislation were rushed through the legislature and signed into law by Putin. Several more are pending. The new laws, which are ostensibly to protect stability and decency, include restrictions on public gatherings, a drastic increase in the fines and penalties for organizing or joining unsanctioned protests and the creation of an Internet blacklist that critics warn could lead to censorship. Others are the re-criminalization of libel, a requirement that foreign-funded NGOs and perhaps soon even media might have to publicly declare themselves "foreign agents" (a term tinged with hints of espionage), and efforts to control the waves of volunteers who rushed to help flood victims in southern Russia.

Police have also raided the homes of several prominent opposition leaders, ostensibly to investigate violence during the May 6 rally, and have detained several dozen others accused of attacking police during the skirmish. Many leaders say they are being followed everywhere they go.

Among those raided and harassed were anti-corruption blogger Alexei Navalny and television personality Ksenia Sobchak.

Authorities charged Navalny with embezzlement this week in a case that had been dismissed for lack of evidence years ago. He faces up to 10 years in prison. Sobchak, a prominent socialite whose father was Putin's mentor when he was the mayor of St. Petersburg, has been booted from her television shows as her activism has increased.

In another case that is being viewed as a canary in the coal mine for how the Kremlin will deal with the opposition, the trial of an all-female punk rock group began Monday. The group called feline Riot is being tried on charges of hooliganism after they performed an anti-Putin anthem on the altar of Moscow's largest cathedral in February.

Their song asked for divine intervention to remove Putin from power. Several prominent Western musicians have spoken out against their detention and Amnesty International has called them "prisoners of conscience." They face up to seven years in prison.

One of the band members Tuesday said they are being made an example for others who might attempt to defy the Kremlin.

"I am taking it as the start of a repressive authoritarian campaign which aims to hamper the public's political activity and build a sense of fear among political activists," Ekaterina Samutsevich said in a statement to the court

I'm not gonna sit here and say that they deserved to go to jail for this, I merely wanted to point out how outrageous their act of protest was, because I haven't seen any comments like that so far on this thread.

So protesting a corrupt religion's ties to a corrupt gov't, through a musical performance at a religious site is outrageous?

Why is that outrageous? How is that outrageous?

Is what they're protesting more outrageous or is their form of protest more outrageous? Should I assume you're for closer ties between an Orthodox or fundamentalist religious sect and the State gov't?

An activist was captured on camera on Friday while

in the Ukrainian capital of Kiev. Inna Shevchenko, 22, told RBK News she tore down the symbol in support of the members of the Russian punk band feline Riot.

Shevchenko, of the activist group FEMEN, destroyed the four-meter high wooden crucifix, just as a Moscow court was due to deliver its verdict in the feline Riot case, Reuters details.

“We want to show the authorities that no imbecile has the right to trample on freedom of speech and the rights of women and shut [feline Riot] away in jail,” a FEMEN spokesperson told Russian news agency RT.

"No business, not even one as successful as the church, has the right to attack women's rights," 22-year-old Shevchenko said, according to Reuters.

original.jpg

1345195567_0259.480x350.jpeg

Women vs The Old Boys' Club......i love it.

i find this more offensive

As do I. The corruption in the church and political hierarchy is disgusting, and the oppression is horrible.

So protesting a corrupt religion's ties to a corrupt gov't, through a musical performance at a religious site is outrageous?

Why is that outrageous? How is that outrageous?

Is what they're protesting more outrageous or is their form of protest more outrageous? Should I assume you're for closer ties between an Orthodox or fundamentalist religious sect and the State gov't?

It's outrageous for the faithful worshipers and parishioners.

I'm not saying that their form of protest is any worse than what they're protesting for.

And I am not, repeat not, for closer ties between a corrupt church hierarchy and the state government.

Guest BuckFoston

Sentence is bogus indeed, but they are lucky it's 2 years instead of the maximum 7, or worse death by "accident" or poison or accidental poison that Putin so loves utilizing on outspoken journalists. They knew full well what they were doing and the tense political climate they were doing it in. If they did what they did already knowing this would be the outcome, okay, more power to them, they are willing to give up their children and families for a bigger cause and that's their right. Otherwise, there is no reason for anyone currently living in Russia to believe that these kinds of scenarios will have different outcomes.

Sentence is bogus indeed, but they are lucky it's 2 years instead of the maximum 7, or worse death by "accident" or poison or accidental poison that Putin so loves utilizing on outspoken journalists. They knew full well what they were doing and the tense political climate they were doing it in. If they did what they did already knowing this would be the outcome, okay, more power to them, they are willing to give up their children and families for a bigger cause and that's their right. Otherwise, there is no reason for anyone currently living in Russia to believe that these kinds of scenarios will have different outcomes.

You gotta give these chicks credit for having more balls than most of the men in that country in that climate.

You gotta give these chicks credit for having more balls than most of the men in that country in that climate.

these are the sort of people which i believe to be true freedom fighters , fighting to expose corruption and persecution and injustice .

i wish there was some way we could help them .

Guest BuckFoston

these are the sort of people which i believe to be true freedom fighters , fighting to expose corruption and persecution and injustice .

i wish there was some way we could help them .

Yes, but they are not exposing anything new. This is the Russian way of life and, in reality, the situation now is a lot better than what it was in say, the 90s, when all hell broke loose. Also, while I believe in their initial thought, they come off as extremely naive. When Putin ordered numerous journalists killed, men and women - either by bullet to the head execution or the more covert poisonings, there was outrage in the West and so what? Has anything happened after dozens of these killings? Nada. The only thing that has happened is that he got re-elected and his KGB buddies who aided in the killings now have cushy spots in the Duma and are running for mayors, governors, ect. Europe cannot break all ties with Russia either, they need the gas, despite all of their attempts at alternative energy. Putin is not going anywhere and in spite of the protests he still has a huge following. He and his system are here to stay.

Yes, but they are not exposing anything new. This is the Russian way of life and, in reality, the situation now is a lot better than what it was in say, the 90s, when all hell broke loose. Also, while I believe in their initial thought, they come off as extremely naive. When Putin ordered numerous journalists killed, men and women - either by bullet to the head execution or the more covert poisonings, there was outrage in the West and so what? Has anything happened after dozens of these killings? Nada. The only thing that has happened is that he got re-elected and his KGB buddies who aided in the killings now have cushy spots in the Duma and are running for mayors, governors, ect. Europe cannot break all ties with Russia either, they need the gas, despite all of their attempts at alternative energy. Putin is not going anywhere and in spite of the protests he still has a huge following. He and his system are here to stay.

So, members of society shouldn't challenge their gov'ts because at least they're better off at present than they were in the past, and because that's just how things are and to try and change them is just being naive??

No dictator, no plutocracy or state sanctioned theocracy will remain, if people rise up against it. It only takes a few to start a ground-swell to move a population to start a revolution.

Guest BuckFoston

So, members of society shouldn't challenge their gov'ts because at least they're better off at present than they were in the past, and because that's just how things are and to try and change them is just being naive??

No dictator, no plutocracy or state sanctioned theocracy will remain, if people rise up against it. It only takes a few to start a ground-swell to move a population to start a revolution.

Nope. And I say that with confidence and from experience. Strength in numbers I definitely believe in, but these little groups of protests do absolutely nothing except ruin the lives of those involved. If 500,000 people come out, okay. A million, even better. That's how the Orange Revolution worked, that's how Egypt's uprising worked. In Moscow, you have a few thousand people at most who come out, all get taken away in buses swiftly. The only way to actually topple a government like that is to come out in such a mass that you outnumber the special forces and their ammunition. If they start killing people by the dozen, there will be a huff but no results. Even Putin, however, with all his might, cannot exterminate a million people standing in the Red Square, and I don't mean for a night. But 3 chicks running into a Church singing an Anti-Putin song is not going to get the job done. I'll attribute it to them being in their early 20ies and not thinking ahead. Also, doing this when you have young children at home is completely irresponsible. If you are that hellbent on it, do it before you have kids are after they have grown. Bleh, the more I think about it the less sympathy I have.

Nope. And I say that with confidence and from experience. Strength in numbers I definitely believe in, but these little groups of protests do absolutely nothing except ruin the lives of those involved. If 500,000 people come out, okay. A million, even better. That's how the Orange Revolution worked, that's how Egypt's uprising worked. In Moscow, you have a few thousand people at most who come out, all get taken away in buses swiftly. The only way to actually topple a government like that is to come out in such a mass that you outnumber the special forces and their ammunition. If they start killing people by the dozen, there will be a huff but no results. Even Putin, however, with all his might, cannot exterminate a million people standing in the Red Square, and I don't mean for a night. But 3 chicks running into a Church singing an Anti-Putin song is not going to get the job done. I'll attribute it to them being in their early 20ies and not thinking ahead. Also, doing this when you have young children at home is completely irresponsible. If you are that hellbent on it, do it before you have kids are after they have grown. Bleh, the more I think about it the less sympathy I have.

this is a quote from walid rachid on of the organisers of the protests that started the revolution in tunisia ,

"If a small group of people in every Arab country went out and persevered as we did, then that would be the end of all the regimes,”

this applies to all countries buck , and the idea that , one person cannot make a difference will be our downfall if we believe it.

Yup.

It's the ol' butterfly effect.

It's happened many times throughout history up till the present day. You can choose not to see them if you want to, but it's always been a few, sometimes even one, that did something or that organized others to change an institution, a city, country or the world...for good or bad, temporarily or permanently.

No one's suggesting one act or one life sacrificed or even a handful will affect change. But, without those, there can't be others and other acts to grow as a chorus of defiance against a gov't or a regime or a system or a rule/law.

Some people knowingly are catalysts and time will only tell what kind of affect this incident has in Russia coupled with the already underlying tension and the zeitgeist among the population.

We'll see, but to dismiss it out of hand as naivete or youthful exuberance run amok or irresponsibility seems rather myopic and condescendingly arrogant. I don't say at as a pejorative, so please don't take to heart my use of that characterization personally. I'm only saying that trying to intellectualize their failure to produce a national sea-change, before allowing for a possible groundswell of support and then protest and the 'possible' change that arrives with it, is premature for you to say so dismissively.

You're entitled to your own opinion of course, so there's no problem with that. I disagree with the crux of your response though, of course. One or a handful of people absolutely can start to change the course of a nation. Historical evidence assures me of the accuracy of that statement.

Garry Kasparov Arrested, Beaten at feline Riot Protest in Moscow

6:51 AM PDT 8/17/2012 by Jordan Zakarin

garry_kasparov.jpg

Getty Images

The Russian chess grandmaster and opposition leader was detained and roughed up by police while speaking with journalists.

Garry Kasparov was among the more than 30 people arrested at a protest in Moscow over the guilty verdict handed down to three members of the punk band feline Riot.

The former chess world champion and current opposition politician was speaking with journalists when he was cornered by police, according to his Facebook page.

"Garry Kasparov has just been arrested outside the Moscow courthouse where the feline Riot trial is taking place," a first post announced. "He was not there to protest, simply to attend, and the police cornered him and dragged him into the police van."

Once the page's editors made contact with Kasparov, they issued an update, saying in part: "He is at the police station. He was beaten but says he is okay. He isn't sure what will happen next. It seems the police are waiting for orders from above. He says he was standing calmly speaking with journalists when police pushed through and grabbed him."

Kasparov told the Russian news agency Interfax, “At first I did not realize why they arrested me -- I was giving interview to a journalist. But then they put me in a van and brutally beat me.” He also said he managed to bite the hand of one of the officers.

Kasparov has long been staunchly opposed to Russian President Vladimir Putin, forming the United Civil Front in 2005 and briefly running for president with his second political party, Other Russia, in 2007. He was arrested and sentenced to five days in jail in November 2007 for resisting arrest at an anti-Putin protest.

Archived