The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's okay to beat up your classmates when.....

Magikal

I'll play devil's advocate here.

I feel truly sorry for her. It's bad enough she gets paid very little to do this job, but the fact that she, along with her family, are being made fun by stupid kids is sickening, especially when she's on that bus to make sure they get home safe.

It gives me faith in humanity that hundreds, if not thousands, of people have donated to help this woman out, but how many have done it just because this story has gone viral?

While I'm happy for Karen, it's sad to know somebody else may have been in the exact same situation and been a victim, but their story was never known because it wasn't videotaped or made viral on the internet. Where's the sympathy there and what does it come down to? "That's too bad, film it next time?"

Nevertheless, a person should never feel threatened by the people in their job and have to endure what she has.

This kind of stuff goes on every day between students. It was fairly common at my elementary school and would not be surprised if it happens at most of them. Its even worse for the kids taking the abuse because of their age.

:picard:

So, should there have been a cap on what people could donate? Would that have satisfied you? Should someone have gone to the local travel agency, checked out the cost of a trip to Hawaii or some equally acceptable holiday destination and told people only to donate up to that amount of money? Oh man............

I'm sure when the idea of raising funds for a holiday was initially put in place, nobody had any idea the amount of donations would be so high. When the video went viral, more people became aware of what had happened and were outraged.

Edit: Actually, there was a goal of $5000 set initially, but when the video went viral, the donations skyrocketed.

I think bus monitor is a great job for ex convicts. Not only can they handle the children in fisticuffs if needed but they can also lecture the children on the importance of living a clean lifestyle.

An a fellow obese person I am disgusted by their remarks though. I have had my share of bullying incidents, I was once thrown out of a first floor window and had to walk all the way around the school to get back in the class. I wish I got $300,000 for that. I guess my problem was I didn't cry at the time just when I got home :sadno:

When I was in 7t grade I was thrown out a first floor window onto the ground and had to walk all the way around the school to get back into my class and was then laughed at. I didn't cry because I'm tough but if I had done it at school instead of at home that night maybe I would have got a bunch of money :(

The woman's got class, even though I don't entirely agree with all she has to say.

Karen Klein: Bullies aren’t bad kids

The grandma who endured horrific abuse on a school bus, then felt the Internet's love, now defends her tormentors

By Mary Elizabeth Williams

The Karen Klein story just keeps unfolding. As of Friday, the fund for Klein is now inching toward the $500,000 mark. Though Klein says, “I just don’t feel like it’ll come to me anyway, so I don’t think too much about it. It’s a nice gesture, but I just don’t know if it’s for real or not,” Southwest Airlines has promised to send Klein on an all-expenses-paid trip to Disneyland.

Salon reached out to the man behind the campaign, Max Sidorov, Thursday for an interview; so far there has been no response. He did, however, tell the National Post that he was a victim of bullying as a child, and that “I really felt almost heartbroken to see that people would do such a thing to a nice lady. So, I just thought I had to do something about it.”

Meanwhile, the father of one of the boys involved in the incident told CBS News Friday, “There’s no excuse. And we’re going to get to the bottom of that, but it really broke my heart and I shed a lot of tears thinking about that whole thing and I just want you to know that my family, all of us, are deeply saddened by this whole thing and we’re going to get it right.”

Klein, meanwhile, told Anderson Cooper Thursday the kids involved aren’t bad kids, “Not deep down. But when they get together, things happen. Some things worse than other things.

Here's my thought on the incident..

First of all, it's anybodies choice to donate whatever to whoever..

Second of all, I don't understand why people are getting worked up over the situation. Bullying happens all the time, why should the victim get compensation? People always say that money doesn't make you happy. So how is the money here going to be able to mend her heart? Don't give me that BS that she can finally retire and blah blah.. She was a bus driver for a reason, she is a bus monitor for a reason, she loves her job and students. Yes we're human and have feelings. But is it really going to ruin your world when someone starts insulting you? Get over it. Society, in my opinion, is just too soft nowadays. People see things like this and feel bad for this woman. That's natural. But to make it a big deal and have it be on the news, is pointless. There are worse things that happen in this world.

Third of all, I don't care if you're going to flame me. I will just think you're too soft.

But all in all, whatever. I've seen worse.

Basically what you're saying in that second paragraph is that sensitive people are bad people, and if you're sensitive, you should learn not to be. (And that elderly abuse isn't a problem).

Archived