The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bobby Ryan hoping to be traded to Philly

http://www.courierpo...ews|text|Flyers

PITTSBURGH - Bobby Ryan spent much of his Friday playing 90 holes of golf in a charity event near his summer home in Victor, Idaho, but that didn’t prevent the Cherry Hill native and Anaheim Ducks star to escape the latest round of trade rumors.

“I've gotten wind of everything,” Ryan said by phone between his fourth and fifth rounds.

Through a phone conversation a night earlier with his agent, Don Meehan, plus non-stopping texts from family and friends forwarding the latest, Ryan learned that the Flyers are among four teams involved in trade talks with the Ducks.

Frustrated with Ducks management, the 25-year-old left wing suggested he's up for a trade anywhere and that the Flyers would be his first choice.

“I heard Anaheim was a little overwhelmed with offers and they only took four seriously, but none of the teams were mentioned to me other than Philly,” Ryan said. “Everybody wants to play in your hometown, but it would be tough because a lot of expectations come when you're put into a situation like that. For me, if I'm moved, Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me.”

Ryan is frustrated because he doesn't feel Ducks management appreciates his 30-plus goals over each of his first four NHL seasons.

He seems to go through this a couple times every year, and usually the trade rumors involve the Flyers. In the past, Ryan usually indicated that he'd rather stay in Anaheim even though he grew up loving his hometown team and his father, Bob, has been a close friend of Flyers great Bob Clarke for years.

No more.

“I take things personally,” Ryan said. “Anaheim to me has been a team over the past year that really has shown me nothing to prove that they want me here, unfortunately. Obviously, it's not the ideal situation. When you get drafted, you want to win championships with that team and every time they look to add a piece to the puzzle, I'm the piece going the other way.

“I gotta be honest with you. At this point, I don't care. Move me ... because it's just tough going to the rink every day knowing that if something goes wrong, you're going to be the guy moved.

Archived