The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft Brendan Gaunce at 26th Overall

Southpop45

Needs to work on his skating. A center. From Markham, Ontario. Shows leadership skills. Good two-way ability. Wears a retired Canucks' number on his back.

It's Coho all over again.

Here comes icetime arguments, phonecalls from the parents, trade to some team in the states, etc.

BoGo time! Wooooooo!

I agree that these are guys who have some pretty good offensive upside. This being said, is a simple request to show up to camp in shape too much to ask of a professional athlete? And while you don't necessarily want to rely on your top-6 to fill a checking role on your team, it would be nice if they were capable of positive numbers in their +/- stat.

regards,

G.

i was excited when samuelsson wasn't taken by 26th...

but after reading the THW article, it sounds like we got a great player... and not only that, he seems to be very mature, smart hockey player, and last but not least... CANADIAN!!!

yeehaw

now i hope we trade up and pickup samuellson 2nd round :lol:

I like this pick.

Give him another season with his junior team and two or three seasons with the Wolves and I can see him being a real solid centerman. I've heard analysts say he plays a Jordan Staal style of game, while others say he reminds them of David Backes. If he could become a little of both, I think he's going to be a huge part of our future.

Don't know what you're talking about, but apparently it's an action you have performed with great frequency...

Will Kassian become a superstar? Perhaps not. He might not even become the next captain of the team. I do believe that Kassian will become a very good player on this team, certainly better than what you and others are hoping for. And why do you hope that he will fail? So that you can all crow about how bad the deal was. Great Canuck fans are you guys.

The chant is, "Go Canucks Go", not "Go Cody Go", right?

regards,

G.

i was excited when samuelsson wasn't taken by 26th...

but after reading the THW article, it sounds like we got a great player... and not only that, he seems to be very mature, smart hockey player, and last but not least... CANADIAN!!!

yeehaw

now i hope we trade up and pickup samuellson 2nd round :lol:

Why would they even bother mentioning it then...?

Gilman went out of his way to make a little speech about it... saying they've never given a retired number to another player etc etc

Yes I'm aware of what year it is :rolleyes: I just thought it was somewhat odd for him to come out and announce it on such a grand stage when he simply could have just talked to Smyl beforehand and said "hey it's just the way the draft is this year, he's just getting it for the day"...

It's not like anyone outside of Vancouver knows Smyl wore #12, nevermind that it's retired. Smells odd to me...

In about 3 years I'd be happy to see this as our lineup:

Booth - Kesler - Jensen

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Hansen - Gaunce - Burrows

Lapierre - Schroeder - Raymond

Weise

Of course trades and free agency will bring in different forwards, but with the Sedins and Kesler regressing soon, we really lack good centers. Schroeder hasn't proven a whole lot to me yet, so hoping Gaunce will be a bit more successful. Give him 5 seasons and he'll be in our top-6.

Archived