The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft D Ben Hutton 147th overall

NuxFan09

Kid did pretty well in the WJAC-19. Decent numbers in the CCHL. This is someone who will have to spend 4-5 years developing and, in a perfect world, can develop into a 4-5 kind of D-Man.

6ft2 frame 190lbs....not a tiny guy either.

AV is on NHL draft center right now

Just praising the scouts and talking about the team about getting ready for next year... Talking about holes that will be addressed at UFA... Talking about how good a position it is to have both Luongo and Schnieder... Talking about early exit from the playoffs and what he saw and learned from the experience.

Panel talking about our picks now...

Gaunce is solid...

Button likes Ben Hutton... Lots of potential...

They didn't talk about Mallet... I'm not sure they know who he is neither =)

Article on Hutton: http://bangordailynews.com/2011/12/29/sports/umaine-sports/university-of-maine-hockey-lands-point-producing-defenseman-for-next-season/

I like the sounds of this pick. He played for the Kemptville 73's in the CCHL and is committed to the University of Maine this fall. He has good size at 6'3", 195 lbs and he appears to be an offensive defenseman.

I also liked this comment from the Kemptville GM:

“He’s the best defenseman in our league, by far. He’s like a man among boys out there,” said Kemptville coach and general

manager

Pat Malloy. “He oozes with pro potential. His skill level is so high.”

Sounds like a good value pick in the 5th round.

It seems the Canucks brass is trying to get close to nhl ready physical forwards and longer term defenseman. I guess with Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa and Tanev around for awhile, plus guys like Connauton, Gragnani and Sauve knocking on the door, it might not be a bad drafting strategy.

Archived