The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wesley Myron Talk

Samk

USCHO Staff Report • Feb. 1, 2013

According to a school-issued press release, Boston University freshman forward Wesley Myron has left the program.

Drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the sixth round of the 2012 NHL draft, Myron will “attempt to begin a professional career in hockey,” according to the press release.

Myron tallied two goals and an assist in 21 games for the Terriers this season.

And the source.

Such a stupid move.

Now rather than having his rights until 2016, we only have until 2014 to make a decision on him, and I doubt we will sign him.

He should have just stayed a BU, worked on his game as he might have had a shot at a top 6 role next year.

He has probably nuked his career unless he is alot better than anyone thinks although he was a 4th liner on the Terriers so I don't see how he could have any real success in the ECHL.

He wasn't having much success at BU, so I don't see this as being a bad thing necessarily. Spending a year or two in the ECHL is not an uncommon route.

To me it doesn't make any sense.

He was a 4th line player at BU, so your right he wasn't having a ton of success, but the thing is, there he has twice the time to get better and impress us before we has to make a final decision. Now he has to impress us enough to earn a contract in 2 years. And really he isn't ready for pro hockey.

Judging by the fact he was a 4th liner there, I don't see how anyone could think he will magically turn it around in short order in pro hockey. He will probably be a depth player or 4th liner on the K-Wings, and will have less time to grow and impress.

He's only a 6th but it just seems like a waste of a pick that could have been better served elsewhere, personally I like to stick to drafting CHL and European players in the 6th and 7th rounds. As I think there is a higher probability they come out of nowhere to become better players than collage/university players.

To me it doesn't make any sense.

He was a 4th line player at BU, so your right he wasn't having a ton of success, but the thing is, there he has twice the time to get better and impress us before we has to make a final decision. Now he has to impress us enough to earn a contract in 2 years. And really he isn't ready for pro hockey.

Judging by the fact he was a 4th liner there, I don't see how anyone could think he will magically turn it around in short order in pro hockey. He will probably be a depth player or 4th liner on the K-Wings, and will have less time to grow and impress.

He's only a 6th but it just seems like a waste of a pick that could have been better served elsewhere, personally I like to stick to drafting CHL and European players in the 6th and 7th rounds. As I think there is a higher probability they come out of nowhere to become better players than collage/university players.

The only thing this changes is that the Canucks only have two years instead of four to sign Myron. By turning pro, he'll have more scouts watching him and, should the Canucks decide not to sign this kid, he could very well sign with another team after next year. It sucks for the Canucks, but it's likely the better option for Myron rather than being stuck on the fourth line at BU.

I didn't have very high expectations for Myron anyways so frankly, this doesn't bother me in the least. Best case scenario, Myron and his camp actually know what they're talking about and Myron actually has the ability to start a pro hockey career, accelerating his progression to the bigs. Worst case scenario, he vanishes into irrelevancy. Simple as that.

I'd like to see him finish out the year with a WHL club as a 20 year old just to get a better handle on what kind of a player he really is. He probably just got a little frustrated and homesick but I think he's flushed his pro hockey prospects down the drain with this move..

Archived