The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wesley Myron Talk

Samk

He was a late round pick the success rate for those players is less than 15% If I'm him I'm concentrating on making a living away from hockey...which conversely is 85% certain

success rate of what? making the NHL or playing pro hockey? His career path might not be the NHL, but a career in professional hockey which is very very very possible. He will pretty much make more then a policemen even if he's just playing in the ECHL.

His stats are very very very similiar to Mason Raymonds, infact he averaged more points then Mason Raymond at the same age.

This is just the beggining of Myron's career. All the best to him. Would love to see a BC boy do some damage with the Canucks.

Found an article on Myron! Some pretty revealing information...

When the NHL Vancouver Canucks asked Nick Bootland if he had room for a 6-foot-2 forward, the Kalamazoo Wings coach said he’d take a look.

So far, the gamble is paying off big time

In his six ECHL games, 20-year-old Wesley Myron has two goals and four assists, making him a point-a-game guy so far.

Because of illness, he was a scratch for the K-Wings’ 4-1 win at the Cincinnati Cyclones Monday afternoon and takes a three game points streak into Thursday’s game at the Reading Royals.

The rookie scored his first pro goal in the team’s 3-2 overtime win at home against the Toledo Walleye last Friday,.

He added his second in the K-Wings’ 4-3 overtime victory at Toledo on Saturday, adding two assists, including the primary helper on Yann Sauve’s OT game-winner.

“He’s had lots of opportunities in the first few games he’s been here,” Bootland said. “You’ve seen him wheel. That (first goal) was a good shot, knocked the water bottle off. What a great first goal for him. Something he’ll remember for a lifetime.”

Unlike most of Vancouver’s drafted players in Kalamazoo, Myron didn’t come by way of the AHL’s Chicago Wolves. He started this season as a freshman at Boston University and left midway through the Terriers’ year.

“For me, it was basically I had surgery in the middle of my last year of junior before I went to Boston and I hadn’t played much hockey,” Myron said. “(At Boston) I was not getting much ice time and things weren’t really clicking for me. It wasn’t really a good fit.”

In spite of his injury last season, Myron amassed 42 points, including 17 goals, in 26 games with the Victoria Grizzlies of the BC Major Midget League. At Boston this season, he had two goals and an assist in 21 games.

“I just wanted to play some more games,” he said. “I hadn’t played a lot of hockey. It was a great chance to come here and it’s working out for the best.”

Since Myron was drafted in the sixth round by the Canucks last year, “I just called them up and let them know that I was contemplating leaving school and they did the rest,” he said of coming to Kalamazoo.

If it’s more games he wants, he’s certainly getting them now. Since joining the K-Wings Feb. 8, Myron’s played in six of seven games and the schedule is something he’s getting used to.

“In college you play one or two games a weekend and that’s it,” he said. “For those one or two games, guys are fresh and ready. It’s high-tempo, run-and-gun hockey, where here, you’re playing every second night almost it feels like since I got here. It’s a lot more structured game. Guys are in the right place at the right time. It makes it easier playing with better players.”

http://www.mlive.com/sports/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2013/02/post_36.html

• 5 months later...

Is this guy playing for Utica in a top 9 role or is he a bust?

Is there an option C? He was a sixth round pick who was drafted last year. Lower your expectations. I expect he'll be in the ECHL to start the season but if he plays well enough he can always be called up

Is there an option C? He was a sixth round pick who was drafted last year. Lower your expectations. I expect he'll be in the ECHL to start the season but if he plays well enough he can always be called up

lol our sixth round pick didn't make the nhl one year after being drafted... bust

Never said the nhl, please read before you judge.

He was just pointing out that you are using the word "bust" in a poor way. Myron was drafted with the thought that we could follow him through several years of NCAA hockey. He dropped out of school and went pro during his freshman year. Even management didn't expect him to make a serious impact for another two years at least. AHL this year or "bust" is kind of unrealistic. He's a late bloomer that needs to continue to develop. Also, 6th rounders can't really be considered busts ever because they rarely make the NHL.

• 1 month later...

Another strong outing for Myron at the Prospects Tourny. He has some good skill, saw him receive some passes in the neutral zone and move easily around some checks. Likes to hit too, Could be a pretty decent player on the Comets for the next couple years, and then maybe make it bottom 6 down the road.

Lot's of work to do still of course, but again surprised at the level of his development thus far.

Never said the nhl, please read before you judge.

The irony in this is how you are judging yet telling someone else not to judge. If you're going to use the term "bust", expect to get flak.

Let's take Burrows as an example. He started in the ECHL and had to work himself up to the Moose and finally to the NHL. Since he wasn't "top 9" on the Moose right away I guess Burrows is a bust then in your eyes too huh. :rolleyes:

Archived