The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Farewell to Rome

vancouvercanucks#1

I can see MG signing Rome over Gragnani. With Rome with know what we have: a solid depth bottom pairing d-man. Gragnani has an offensive upside but is terrible in his own end, chases pucks and is usually always out of position. To me he still falls behind Rome in our depth chart.

Hamhuise-Bieksa

Edler-Salo*

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts-Rome

Gragnani

What negativity???

I responded to the post that called for our support in the vote to place Rome in the All Star game.

We all knew he was not an all star. But people voting for him reflected how many of us appreciated a man who wore workboots to the rink. Same goes for the number of times I saw "Rome" for Crosby trade suggestions, or Getzlaf. If anything, the sarcasm launched reflected poorly on Ballard, Edler..., those who lost shifts to a guy who just did his job.

I have seen very little negativity, if any, directed at Rome that was not actually surprised respect!

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML

Rome definitely stays over Parent, but there are a lot of variables in play regarding the overall mix on the Canucks' defense. I'd be happy if Connauton or Sauve could step up to a 7-8 role this coming year, if we could get a longer-term (than Salo) right D partner for Edler in the top 4, and if we could finally fish or cut bait with Ballard, but all of these things depend on other things like free agency and moving one of our goalies, so it's hard to say.

I don't think Ryan Parent has been qualified, so you can scratch him off the list too.

I was a Rome hater, but the guy is pretty stable in the back end. I would love to see young prospects go in and take over, but Rome is a good depth D man.

I wish I could say farewell to Raymond, now that would be a dream.

Depth defenseman. Met my expecations over the years. At times exceeded them. Esp. when Hamhuis went down in the finals and Rome had to become a top-pairing guy for us. (He didn't look too shabby.) Until that fateful hit on Horton.

He doesn't deserve the negativity found on cdc. And i'm not sure why the guy who just does his job and keeps his mouth shut doesn't get a pass, but Shane O'Brien, the loudmouth partyboy who scored on himself whilest being a Canuck, does. Is it because O'Brien likes to be approached by the media? And vice-versa? Whatever.

Depth defensemen are often scapegoats. Deemed 'useless' etc. When when the teams actually win a cup, those same guys are labelled unsung heroes. All along their just doing their jobs and keeping their mouths shut. Cheers.

TOML

Looking at the Canucks' current roster, I simply don't see enough room for the perennial butt-of-all-jokes in Aaron Rome.

Barring a major trade or free agent signing, our defensive lines look pretty shored up, if we can get Salo, Gragnani and Parent re-signed we'll have a D-core that looks pretty much like:

Edler - Salo

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Ballard

Rome - Tanev

Gragnani - Connauton

Parent - Sauve

Now, I know Rome could probably slot in to Alberts' spot on the third pairing; however, how could you justify not giving the time to Gragnani, Tanev or some other player who's still young? If the Canucks are to develop their prospects, as much as it pains me to say it: Rome has got to go.

So, this is my farewell to you, Rome. I hope you make a great impression on the fans of another city, somewhere else, far, far away from here.

Archived