The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Magnus Pääjärvi

In the midst of all the crazy trade talks, I think one guy that's being overlooked is Magnus Paajarvi of the Oilers. He is still signed for one more year in Edmonton at 1.52 mill, which is a decent cap hit and he can't be too happy with the acquisition of Yakupov as another winger.

The Oilers have so much depth in young forwards with Hall, Eberle, RNH etc now adding Yakupov slides Paajarvi down the order. He had a great first season with 34 points in 80 games but was sent down to the Barons last year when he only scored 3 points in 25 games. With a bit of confidence, he could be an awesome 2nd or 3rd line winger for the Canucks. Not like we don't need more wingers that can score and he might choose not to even re-sign with Edmonton next year if he spends any more time in the AHL.

Not sure what it would take to get him but it would be great to have him learn from the twins, especially while they are still in their prime, remember he has only just turned 21.. Just a thought!

Also, 6'1 and 200 pounds seems to be MG's favourite ;) (see 2012 Draft)

• 1 month later...

Was just thinking about something like this. However, it could be all dependent upon how (and where) he starts next season. If he plays well I could see him getting back into the Top 6, with Gagner and Yak, and that could be pretty dangerous. However, if he doesn't perform well I'd hope that MG would buy low on him.

In terms of the Oilers' long-term plans though, they could be in tough to retain all of their amassed talent: Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Yakupov... plus they still need to improve their D. Hopefully MPS could come to Vancouver (also would be interested in moneyball offers for Omark, and maybe get Hartikainen for skilled depth).

Yakupov is a RW and Paajarvi is a LW. If anything, he bumps Hemsky down.

I have time for Paajarvi. He was a top 10 pick for a reason. Last season was probably the first real adversity he had ever faced in his career. He's got a great attitude, was happy to go down to the AHL(better than sitting in the pressbox) and I think he's likely to bounce back. He's a hard worker. He had some good stretches in the AHL. He had one run where he had 8 points in 5 games. Then he had 11 points in 12 games. Plus 10 points in his final 10 playoff games.

He's still working on his consistency but he's only 20 years old. He's allowed to not be a finished product.

Paajarvi is also the kind of guy where he brings such a good defensive game that even if the offense never comes at the NHL level, he'll still have a career as a 3rd line/PKer....and a good one at that.

MSP was one of my favourites in his draft year, and I think that if we swapped prospects along with a draft pick then they would be willing to deal.

Jordan Schroeder and a 2nd round pick in exchange for MSP

Reasoning: Oiler can't keep all their prospects forever, unless the cap goes up to 90m and MSP might be the odd one out of a top six that includes players such as Yakupov/Hall/RNH/Eberle/Hemsky/Gagner. Canucks gain a upgrade on the prospect, but give up a second round pick that could turn into another potential good player to third liner.

Archived