The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cain Franson and Zach Hall recieve invites to Canucks Prospect Camp

Bilbro Baggins

Some infor about Zach Hall From Hockey Prospects

We first told you about Zach Hall of the Barrie Colts back in March of of 2009. We were high on Zach leading up to the OHL Draft. Zach was eventually selected in the 2nd round by the Barrie Colts, right behind their first rounder, Ryan Strome. It was 25 months before his potential NHL draft day in Minnesota. We profiled Zach in our 'look ahead' section on the 2011 NHL Draft in our 2010 NHL Draft Guide. In early October we included Zach in our 'NHL Prospects' book. The book profiled multiple players and we interviewed them months before draft day in June.

If you had told me back in October of that year that Zach Hall would go undrafted, I would have said you were crazy. Previous to 2010/2011 I have watched Zach up close in his OHL Draft year, as well as in Junior A in 2009/2010 and as a Colts call up. His talents were obvious. Even as a player with only 5 games with the Colts powerhouse team that season, he showed what he could do. He even played some second line Centre as a call up.

The 2010/2011 season got underway with a new coach in Barrie and Zach scored in his first game of the season. Zach suffered an injury shortly after and was sidelined until late November. I watched the Colts numerous times last season, especially in the first half. Hall got limited ice at times which is the only explanation I can give for him sliding through the 2011 Draft.

Fast forward to this season and as of October 8th 2011, he sits 2nd in the league in scoring with 6 goals and 9 assists in 6 games. He is also a +5 if you are a fan of that stat.  It's early, but Zach is en route to showing NHL Scouts what he can do in the OHL this season.

Below is the NHL Prospects book interview and our profile on Zach from our 2010 NHL Draft guide.

2010 NHL Draft Guide '2011 Draft Prospects watch' (released May 2010)

We didn't want to just throw the top ten 2011 draft prospects at you in this section of the book. While we have obviously mentioned some high end and well known players, we also wanted  to tell you about a few players who might start out being down the rankings in some of  the pre-season NHL draft lists.

Zach Hall blew us away leading up to the OHL Draft in 2009. He is an elite playmaker and scorer, who works his tail off shift after shift. If not for a powerhouse Barrie team, he would have played in the OHL all season. He did chip in with a goal and an assist with limited ice in 5 games with the Colts.

Hall played Junior 'A' for the Couchiching Terriers and finished second on his team in scoring behind former OHL 1st rounder Matt Smyth.  Hall's numbers were sick for a rookie: 71 pts in 44 games, including 26 goals. He will get plenty of ice time next season in Barrie. His slight build needs to improve.

2010 NHL Prospects book interview (released October 2010)

Zach Hall is both a playmaker and scorer, who works hard shift after shift  If not for a Barrie team that was pushing for a memorial cup berth last season, he would have played in the OHL last year.

Hall was a member of the Couchiching Terriers last season and finished second on his team in scoring.  Hall's numbers were impressive for a rookie: 71 pts in 44 games, including 26 goals.  Hall will get plenty of ice this season but wins will be harder to find in his NHL draft year with the Colts rebuilding.

The Interview:

HP: How did your season go with Couchiching?

ZH: It was really good. I thought I got really good coaching and we had a pretty good team as well .

HP: How did you go about choosing hockey, any family influences in the situation?

ZH: Everyone in my family played or plays hockey. My dad played for the Bulls (a junior B team) and my brother got drafted to Peterborough in 2006, and I just always have been playing. I first got on the ice when I was two and I've loved the game since.

HP: We believed you were talented enough to spend the season with Barrie, was it frustrating not to play for them?

ZH I knew we, the Colts, had a very good team and that I also was quite young. So, I took it on a positive note, and worked extra hard in Couchiching with the Terriers. I would say that it motivated me because I could so clearly see the end goal of playing with the Colts staring me in the face. Also, it was great to get to play in some games in the end.

HP: How did that small sampling with Barrie go?

ZH: It was very good. I was excited for every game and it was thrilling to play. The playoff and regular season games were both exciting and it was a great experience.

HP: What were some of the bigger differences between playing in Couchiching and Barrie?

ZH: It was a lot more high paced in Barrie. Obviously, the players were better from top to bottom. More guys competed and wanted the puck in the OHL then Junior A. it was also a lot more high tempo.

HP: How do you think having such a successful year in Couchiching will help you next season?

ZH: It was good because I got the opportunity to play a lot. I got to play on the first line, and my line-mate had tons of points, and he really helped me out a lot and gave me some great pointers.

HP: If you were scouting yourself, what would you describe as your strengths?  What about some weaknesses?

ZH: My strengths are skating, vision of the ice, and my shot.

HP: What about some weaknesses you want to improve on?

ZH: I've been working on my defense and playing the body more.

HP: Where would you say you are most productive on the ice, be it in the corners, in front of the net, in transition etc…

ZH: I would say probably in transition is where I get most of my opportunities. However, I also get them in the corners as well because I find the open spot well.

HP: You mentioned that you think your strengths are your speed and shot. Do you think that is why you are so productive in the open ice?

HP: What would you say has improved most about your game this season?

ZH: Well at the beginning of the year, I kept finding myself ahead of the play; my timing just wasn't right compared to AAA hockey. I like to pride myself on being in the right place at the right time, and from the start of the season, I just wasn't content with my timing. For example, I'd be too far ahead in the breakout. But, as the season went on I think I got my timing right and adjusted better.

HP: So, it took some time to adjust to the new league so you could again work on being in the right position?

ZH: Yeah, that's correct.

HP: What has been the most memorable moment of your playing career?

ZH: So far I would have to say finally cracking my OHL team was pretty memorable.

HP: What are your goals for the upcoming season?

ZH:  I'm looking forward to trying to put up 50 points or more. It's a tough question because I want to improve on everything. I guess specifically defense would be something I need to improve on.

HP: Who are some players you like to watch either in major juniors, NCAA, or NHL?

ZH: Yeah, for the last couple years I've watched Zach Parise of the New Jersey Devils. I have watched him really closely. I like watching him play because he's not the biggest guy out there but never backs down from anyone. He could be going up against Zdeno Chara and won't back down.

HP: Have you had any nerves regarding the 2011 NHL Draft?

ZH: Yeah, but only good ones. It's such an exciting thought to think that I could get drafted.

HP: So, fast forward to the 2011 draft, if a scout is telling a GM to draft you, what is he saying to convince him? What about your game sticks out the most?

ZH: I would say most likely my speed, shot, and vision. Hopefully he likes that I can always find the right spot on the ice.

HP: What is the best piece of advice you have received from a coach?

ZH: I would say not to ever think too far ahead; take everything day by day whether it's practice, a game, or working out. Pretty much don't look too far ahead or too far behind.

Additional Info

Position: C

DOB: April 29, 1993

Height: 5'11

Weight: 170 LBS

Team: Barrie Colts

Shoots/Catches: Left

Jersey Number: #28

Hometown: Belleville, On

NHL Status: Undrafted

Stats: Statistics

Scouting Report:

Prospect Camp starts on the 29th

The invites are

D - Jake Baker

D - Conor Allen

D - Corbin Baldwin

D - Jeremie Blain

D - Justin Dasilva

D - Evan McEneny

D - Rush Cooper

D - Shayne Taker

D - Nolan Zajac

F - Alexandre Carrier

F - Kurtis Bartliff

F - Cain Franson

F - Woody Hudson

F - Zach Hall

F - Josh Jooris

F - Adam Kambeitz

F - Jeremy Langlois

F - Stefano Momesso

F - Kenton Miller

F - Buddy Robinson

G - Joel Rumpel

G - Andrew Walsh

G - Will Yanakeef

G - Mathieu Corbeil

Go to this link to see the rosters of Group A and Group B and the players' stats

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636066

Also this is my 1000th post.

Prospect Camp starts on the 29th

The invites are

D - Jake Baker

D - Conor Allen

D - Corbin Baldwin

D - Jeremie Blain

D - Justin Dasilva

D - Evan McEneny

D - Rush Cooper

D - Shayne Taker

D - Nolan Zajac

F - Alexandre Carrier

F - Kurtis Bartliff

F - Cain Franson

F - Woody Hudson

F - Zach Hall

F - Josh Jooris

F - Adam Kambeitz

F - Jeremy Langlois

F - Stefano Momesso

F - Kenton Miller

F - Buddy Robinson

G - Joel Rumpel

G - Andrew Walsh

G - Will Yanakeef

G - Mathieu Corbeil

Go to this link to see the rosters of Group A and Group B and the players' stats

http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=636066

Also this is my 1000th post.

Archived