The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Taking a Gamble

I was watching sportsnet one day and sat on the edge of my seat when they were interviewing Mike Gillis, everything was old news until Nick Kypreos asked Mike Gillis if would take a run at a grade A player in the UFAs, he seemed to blush and said that he had a lot of cap space.

I would take someone like Alex Semin and put him on the line with the Sedins

Sedin-Sedin-Semin

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Gaustad-Hansen

Lapierre

I also think we should try to bid on Gaustad and add some 4th liners and a top four defensemen.

Do you guys think Alex Semin or possibly Zach Parise would be a good fit, or would you take a gamble on defense?

(By the way, we also may need someone to fill Kesler's spot because of his injury)

I think Gillis will tweak a bit this year, but I think he should wait until next year.

Next year the CBA will be known, and the UFA market is 100x better than it is this year.

He does need to make some signings to fill our roster - possibly some 1 year deals to players who did not have the best of years last year.

Bring BMO back to Vancouver!!

I think Gillis will tweak a bit this year, but I think he should wait until next year.

Next year the CBA will be known, and the UFA market is 100x better than it is this year.

He does need to make some signings to fill our roster - possibly some 1 year deals to players who did not have the best of years last year.

Bring BMO back to Vancouver!!

I agree that Semin has been one of the biggest underachievers in the NHL for the past few years; However, the Canucks seem to have a knack for getting players to buy into their system and they enforce a good work ethic. I feel like a lot of Vancouver's roster became character players because of the club itself.

I'm not saying that it's the best idea, but with a change in scenery & coaching style, you might see his true talent emerge. Could be interesting.

It would be really nice to land Semin to play with Kes and Booth. Throw Gaustad into the mix as our new 3rd line centre and rolling with top 9 like

Sedin Sedin Burr

Booth Kesler Semin

Raymond Gaustad Hansen

(edit: didnt even realize that i basically copied the OP)

This team has needed a pure sniper who has wheels since Pavel Bure. The Sedins are great players but don't have elite speed. Adding some speed and shooting should be a top priority. Semin could have a fresh start in Vancouver. People who say we don't need any more offensive help clearly haven't watched the playoffs the last 2 years. We hardly generated scoring chances against LA let alone scored any goals. I found that quite a few of our big goals in the post season were off of broken plays and deflections off of the opposition. It was embarassing against Boston relying on the Lidstrom back board redirect to generate all our chances. Take the heat off of the Sedins and get that final piece for the second line. Roll 2 solid PP lines instead of our current all our eggs in one basket mentality.

I'd take a chance on Semin. No matter what people say, he's a game changer. He'd have the most lethal wrist shot on the team if he came here and would look good IMO along side Kes and Booth. The Sedins need someone to go the net (Burrows/Booth) Kesler needs someone to open the ice up for him (Semin)

His attitude can be fixed through coaching, and he's proved he plays big in big games. He got WSH past BOS in the first rd and elevated his game in the finals of the world cup.

I'd also like Gaustad, but I'd preferably go after either Matthias or Bjugstad on Florida because Gaustad's asking price will be sky high.

Archived