The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthew Beattie | LW/D

Grape

• 4 weeks later...

For those interested:

beattie looking pretty good out there, some strong plays. needs to work on getting stronger so he can push out off the boards better (board work is great though, he just lacks the ability to transition from board work to driving to the net). Also, he needs to work on his finishing touch. I know he had it back in highschool, as his name would constantly come up when he was playing against mcnally, but it just hasn't transitioned to his college game yet. his teammates' lack of finish seems to have hampered his point count too.

• 1 month later...

cool to see him getting to dress a few games and be apart of some wins. i didn't think our NCAA forward prospects would look this bland at this point in the season though. d-men have been good though, so thats positive.

Other than Labate, it's hard to say because we don't have a lot of info on what line they play on. Beattie isn't even a regular player it seems, but at least he's dressed for 11 out of a possible 18 so hopefully he's working on how to stay in the lineup consistently.

Other than Labate, it's hard to say because we don't have a lot of info on what line they play on. Beattie isn't even a regular player it seems, but at least he's dressed for 11 out of a possible 18 so hopefully he's working on how to stay in the lineup consistently.

yeah and he was "gretzky-like" in his highschool league. i'm sure adjusting to defensive responsibility has been a focus. he could get away with a lot last year.

yeah and he was "gretzky-like" in his highschool league. i'm sure adjusting to defensive responsibility has been a focus. he could get away with a lot last year.

If he can become the next "Dutch Gretzky" (Weise) I'll be thrilled. :bigblush:

But the biggest hope for him, apart from his skating, is his smarts which could help him go a long way. Something that Weise also happens to have. They both have more similarities than I thought, actually... both drafted as overagers, and are known more for their goal-scoring than playmaking. Both have size too.

So the next Dutch Gretzky it is! :P

Beattie was used on the 3rd Line LW when he did play. I saw the last 3 games prior to his disappearance (whether it be for injury or benching or otherwise). In that last game I watched, he got promoted actually half way through the game to the 2nd line and got time on the top PP. So I tend to lean towards it not being a strict benching, rather some kind of injury or other factor.

And personally, i thought he was noticable and impressed me for a 7th round pick. Although the stats won't excite a single person here, i think there's more to his game than that. He is a high energy player who initiates physical contact (seems to like it) and is a good forechecker. Very mobile for a guy his size, showed flashes of skill and nice hands. I wouldn't say his defense is a place of concern, he is in the right places. His offense is a bit of a concern, he generates chances, but rarely shoots and isn't assertive enough with the puck. Definitely something to work on in the next couple of years. I'm being patient with this one, there's something to work with.

Archived