The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schultz

SpursCanuck

I keep seeing everyone banging on about Justin Schultz, I am over in Scotland and would like to know a little more on him, could someone point me in the right direction and tell me a little more about him and why he is so highly rated here and why he was never drafted...

I know he is a DF

Comes from BC

Is a Free Agent

That's about what I know, fire away peeps and thanks

He was drafted, in the 2nd round by the Ducks in 2008.

But due to something in the CBA, he is about to become a very young UFA. I think it might be the same 80 game rule that the Canucks were facing with Gragnani last year (even though they let him walk anyways).

Basically, Schultz is being described as the best defenseman not currently in the NHL. However, didn't we here the same sort of label for Brunnstrom and Gustavsson (sp?) a short while ago...

I keep seeing everyone banging on about Justin Schultz, I am over in Scotland and would like to know a little more on him, could someone point me in the right direction and tell me a little more about him and why he is so highly rated here and why he was never drafted...

I know he is a DF

Comes from BC

Is a Free Agent

That's about what I know, fire away peeps and thanks

He was drafted, in the 2nd round by the Ducks in 2008.

But due to something in the CBA, he is about to become a very young UFA. I think it might be the same 80 game rule that the Canucks were facing with Gragnani last year (even though they let him walk anyways).

Basically, Schultz is being described as the best defenseman not currently in the NHL. However, didn't we here the same sort of label for Brunnstrom and Gustavsson (sp?) a short while ago...

He's compared to Drew Doughty.

And in terms of offensive ability I can see why, he rushes the ice just they way Doughty does, he also has a very good accurate wrist shot and can control the the power play from the blue line, a really dynamic offensive player.

He also won best defensive player in the WCHA in both 2010-11 and 2011-12, so his defensive game is improving aswell.

Archived