The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The CBA Thread- Players storm from meeting after 2.5 hours

CHICAGO — Let the games begin.

The NHL and NHL Players’ Association are scheduled to kick off formal talks on a new collective bargaining agreement in New York on Friday, according to multiple sources.

Anxious fans have been waiting months for the sides to open negotiations on a deal that is set to expire Sept. 15. Despite the fact a season was lost the last time they went to the bargaining table, there has been a slight hint of optimism in the air at the NHLPA’s executive board meetings this week.

“We have a few months ahead here to reach a deal and that’s our goal,” New York Islanders star John Tavares said Tuesday.

In all, the union has gathered 53 players together for three days of comprehensive meetings before talks open. They were split into three breakout groups on Tuesday afternoon and combed over a number of topics expected to be raised during CBA discussions — everything from desired changes to the current system to player safety and on-ice issues.

More than half of the players who travelled to Chicago lived through the 2004-05 lockout and they’ve gone out of their way to talk about the experience with younger union members.

However, the overwhelming majority seem to believe there is a fair deal to be made, especially since the industry has grown from US$2.1 billion to $3.3 billion over the course of this agreement.

“The league’s doing really well,” said St. Louis Blues forward David Backes. “There’s been increased revenues — record revenues — every year. It’s on a track that seems like almost exponential growth, to halt that would be a shame on both sides.

“We’re looking for something that’s fair, we’re not looking to clean house.”

At this point, it’s still a little unclear where the major battle lines will be drawn. The NHL is expected to try and lower the players’ take of overall league revenue from its current position of 57 per cent while the union will attempt to redesign the revenue-sharing system so that the wealthy teams are required to do a better job of supporting those that are struggling.

Undoubtedly, a number of other issues will arise as well.

The sides appear to be entering talks with the hope of keeping them as quiet as possible. In fact, neither would even confirm publicly that they’re set to sit down together on Friday.

When they do, neither will have forgotten what happened the last time around.

“Looking back on it we made a lot of huge concessions — losing a season not to mention (the deal itself),” said veteran Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers. “The fact is the league’s seen seven years of revenue growth. At the end of the day, we’re going to have to come to an agreement.”

The NHL season could start without a new labour agreement if both sides agree to continue talks beyond the Sept. 15 expiration of the current deal.

NHL players association executive director Don Fehr said Wednesday "the players haven't considered what they would do on Sept. 15 or any other date if no agreement is in place."

If players continue working without a new contract, they would do so under the old pact if both sides in the negotiations agree, Fehr said. The regular season is scheduled to start on Oct. 11.

Fehr, the former head of the baseball players' union, said there were a number of times during his 33 years there when a season went on without a collective bargaining agreement.

It is there provided both parties act in good faith and want that to occur. The players have said if both parties met these conditions they would be willing to play under the current CBA for another year however they said that in 04 as well. From the owners perspective, it is most likely new CBA or bust so more likely than not, we will have a new CBA or lockout.

Also found this interesting. The NHL reportedly had 3.3 billion in revenue last year. That is only 500 million less than the NBA. We in Canada often think that the game isnt that big of a game outside of Canada but that is not the case. The NHL is slowly reaching a point where it is becoming as big as the NBA.

Keep in mind that a majority of the league's revenues come from no more than 8-9 teams in the league, 5 of which are Canadian (minus Ottawa). Teams like MTL and TOR make like 80 million a year, whereas a whole bunch of American teams (PHX, STL, FLD, NJD, CBJ) are all making no more than 25 million a year. Other than the Rangers, no American team is producing a substantial amount of revenue for the league.

I have absolutely no idea how the business of the NBA works at all, but the truth is.. unless you're an American team like Philly, Detroit, Boston.. nobody down South really gives a crap about hockey. Ask Kings 'fans', I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of them still think they won the "NHL Championship".

It is funny how the NHLPA very conveniently keeps pointing out that league revenues have increased by 1/3 since the last lockout. Revenues does not equal income however and I would argue that the 4 or 5 years after the non-season were rebound years and should not be factored in.

Currently NHL salaries eat up 57% of revenues, NFL 58%, NBA 57% and baseball 53%. I am sure I read that the NHL is a lot more dependent on ticket revenue than the other sports. I also would think that the costs associated with that $1 of ticket revenue would be a lot more than a $1 of broadcast revenue. Are the players really in any position to be demanding a bigger piece of the pie?

It is funny how the NHLPA very conveniently keeps pointing out that league revenues have increased by 1/3 since the last lockout. Revenues does not equal income however and I would argue that the 4 or 5 years after the non-season were rebound years and should not be factored in.

Currently NHL salaries eat up 57% of revenues, NFL 58%, NBA 57% and baseball 53%. I am sure I read that the NHL is a lot more dependent on ticket revenue than the other sports. I also would think that the costs associated with that $1 of ticket revenue would be a lot more than a $1 of broadcast revenue. Are the players really in any position to be demanding a bigger piece of the pie?

Archived