The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weber! Get him before July 1st... And everyone else will come cheap!

We would have to trade Edler, Tanev and at least 3 or 4 1st rounders for Weber.....No Joke... he is top 2 D in the NHL right now... Don't get me wrong he would be worth it.... maybe our 2013,2014 and maybe get a 1st for Louie and find another for somewhere...

Then by signing Shultz it wouldn't be that bad, because he's like getting a 1st rounder but even better because he's NHL ready... he might not want to come here if we were to sign Weber and Garrison, just because he wouldn't get that much playing time... but i pretty sure he would want to be a part of our first Cup... Seeing how he grew up cheering for the Canucks??

And Sign Garrison if he takes a Home Town discount that is... i'm thinking 2.5-3.3m, he had one good season thats it!!! And knowing Weber signed and knowing how good we would be, he'd sign...

Plus i think if we got Weber early or before July 1, it would be easier to sign other (role) players cheap because they would know we're gonna win the cup??

Maybe a guy by the name of Doan would like to jump on the bus too.... Win a cup before he retires??

Just Make it Happen Gillis!

Edler, Tanev and 3-4 firsts??? Even for a player like Weber that's a big overpayment.

To Vancouver: Shea Weber's rights

To Nashville: David Booth + Chris Tanev + Anton Rodin + '13 1st, 2nd & 3rd

Little more fair.

Just kidding dude, for your troubles we'll give u Louie for your 1st... because i know it will be a pretty high pick seeing how TO is gonna be dead last in the standings..lol

Again kidding... seeing how your a canuck fan!

Edler, Tanev and 3-4 firsts??? Even for a player like Weber that's a big overpayment.

To Vancouver: Shea Weber's rights

To Nashville: David Booth + Chris Tanev + Anton Rodin + '13 1st, 2nd & 3rd

Little more fair.

Only if you tendered an $8 million plus offer sheet.... you can put one out for around $8 million and it only costs you 2x1st, a 2nd; and a 3rd.

I actually see Weber moving in a sign and trade if he isn't extended by July 1st. He and Schneider are two players that it is worth tendering an offer sheet to.

It is not so much the team's willingness to match the dollars, but the risk of losing the player for nothing next year to free agency if you decide to match the offer.

In Schneider's case I think we would have a pretty good chance of re-signing him, as the Luongo thing will be sorted by then.

In Weber's case, if he isn't extended... that means he has TWICE refused to extend even though Nashville offered him max salary already last summer. so the likelihood of him signing after next season in Nashville is pretty remote... and they would lose him for nothing (since they can't trade him after matching the offer sheet).

So, Nashville really has to figure it out in 5 days. They have 3 realistic options (again, assuming he hasn't extended there):

1. Trade him in a sign and trade deal before July 1st for a good mix of roster players and picks

2. Accept the compensation for an offer sheet, 2x1st round; 1 second round; and 1 third round

3. Match the offer sheet and get him for one more season. (try to extend or lost him for no return after that)

I personally say that #1 is there best option. We could give them a package of Edler+Schroeder+1st round pick+(any/all of Ballard, Raymond, Alberts)

It is possible that Weber wants to give them another year to get convinced that they mean to win and be a cap team... in that case he could take them to arbitration.

Archived